johndavid316

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I'd also like to point out that atheism can also be described as a disbelief in "theism". Despite how we use atheism, a deist can be seen as a type of atheist, same with some pantheists. Both of which allow for the supernatural, yet atheistic philosophies.

In addition, one of the hallmarks of a religion is a belief in the supernatural and tying or binding those who are part of that religion to this supernatural element. Another requirement of religion is the presence of rituals and/or sacraments. At least in the way we use atheism in general, it does not permit either of these, making atheism not a religion.

Thank you very much, D-9. You are correct in your first statement. The a in atheism means without, so the word means without a theism. It's refreshing to read a well informed post on this topic!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

First of all, I would invite you to scan through my post and look for anything at all that says I am asserting that anyone on this forum does that. I never did. Why did you pull that out of nowhere?

Well, since you extended an invitation, it would be this sentence I was referring to....

So people, please stop making these silly assertions about a topic that you obviously have so little knowledge of.

Thank you,

John

A negative of a religion? You must realize that makes no sense.

Think; a negative of a photograph.

If faith is bad one way it is bad the other way too!

So, believing in God on faith is bad? The good or bad is dependent upon the outcome of one's faith. Having faith that there is no God is a one way ticket to hell.

First of all, I would invite you to scan through my post and look for anything at all that says I am asserting that anyone on this forum does that. I never did. Why did you pull that out of nowhere?

Well, since you extended an invitation, it would be this sentence I was referring to....

So people, please stop making these silly assertions about a topic that you obviously have so little knowledge of.

Thank you,

John

A negative of a religion? You must realize that makes no sense.

Think; a negative of a photograph.

If faith is bad one way it is bad the other way too!

So, believing in God on faith is bad? The good or bad is dependent upon the outcome of one's faith. Having faith that there is no God is a one way ticket to hell.

First of all, when i said "people" as i said before, I was speaking generally, I was not saying "people of this forum"

Second, you are right, there is such thing as a negative of a photograph. There is such thing as a negative of a number. There is no such thing as a negative of a religion. Something is either a religion or it is not. The definition of negative, in context of a photograph is "An image in which the light areas of the object rendered appear dark and the dark areas appear light." That analogy makes absolutely no sense.

Third, NO, having faith is not bad! That is what I am trying to say. When you're a little kid and you went and ate the cookies that you weren't supposed to eat, your mom would come in and say "Hey, you're not supposed to eat those!" And you would say back "But sister ate them, and she wasn't supposed to have any!" Did saying that your sister ate some too make anything better? Did it prove a point?

The answer is no. Now, regardless of whether faith is a good or a bad thing, (I believe faith is a good thing) if it is bad logic for someone to have faith that there is no god, then it is bad logic to have faith that there is a god. The definition of faith is belief without evidence. If you decide to fire back at someone and say "you have to have faith too!" you are just conceding a point.

Let me give you the dictionary definition of atheism... AGAIN. a

First of all, when i said "people" as i said before, I was speaking generally, I was not saying "people of this forum"

Second, you are right, there is such thing as a negative of a photograph. There is such thing as a negative of a number. There is no such thing as a negative of a religion. Something is either a religion or it is not. The definition of negative, in context of a photograph is "An image in which the light areas of the object rendered appear dark and the dark areas appear light." That analogy makes absolutely no sense.

Not to you....obviously.

Third, NO, having faith is not bad! That is what I am trying to say. When you're a little kid and you went and ate the cookies that you weren't supposed to eat, your mom would come in and say "Hey, you're not supposed to eat those!" And you would say back "But sister ate them, and she wasn't supposed to have any!" Did saying that your sister ate some too make anything better? Did it prove a point?

That analogy makes absolutely no sense.

The answer is no. Now, regardless of whether faith is a good or a bad thing, (I believe faith is a good thing) if it is bad logic for someone to have faith that there is no god, then it is bad logic to have faith that there is a god. The definition of faith is belief without evidence. If you decide to fire back at someone and say "you have to have faith too!" you are just conceding a point.

I didn't say it was bad logic for someone to have faith that there is no God....you are way off base there. I said it requires a LEAP OF FAITH to believe there is no God. We're not talking whether it's logical or good or whatever. It does require a HUGE leap of faith to be assured that they're not going to hell for unbelief. They are.

Let me give you the dictionary definition of atheism... AGAIN. a