IGNORED

Can Christian movies have strong content and some profanity?

boaries

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

My friend and I had a debate, after we were given a very spiritual film:

"The Finest Hour"... www finesthourthemovie.com, by a Christian friend of ours. The film does not classify itself as a Christian film, but the friend that gave it to us did. He said although the content was extremely STRONG, and it did have cuss words in it, because God and the Devil battled the whole movie (not telling who wins), and many parts was based on the bible; it was a Christian Film. He also said that although not preachy, the messages in the film were quite clear and very redeeming. I agreed with everything he said, I just thought the presentation was a bit too real for me. I of course couldn't believe that he would classify this film as Christian. I have never watched a Christian film cuss, nor have I ever seen a Christian film explore these types of subjects (music, the media, and race).

My question: Am I wrong or right? Does strong content and language forfeit a Christian Classification of a movie?

"The Finest Hour"... www finesthourthemovie.com, by a Christian friend of ours. The film does not classify itself as a Christian film, but the friend that gave it to us did. He said although the content was extremely STRONG, and it did have cuss words in it, because God and the Devil battled the whole movie (not telling who wins), and many parts was based on the bible; it was a Christian Film. He also said that although not preachy, the messages in the film were quite clear and very redeeming. I agreed with everything he said, I just thought the presentation was a bit too real for me. I of course couldn't believe that he would classify this film as Christian. I have never watched a Christian film cuss, nor have I ever seen a Christian film explore these types of subjects (music, the media, and race).

My question: Am I wrong or right? Does strong content and language forfeit a Christian Classification of a movie?

I agree with you that such a film is not a "Christian movie." There are secular films that are out there that have positive messages.

can they? yes. should they? i don't think cussing is ever necessary in a christian film. that being said, i have seen a few christian movies that have the 'd' word peppered here and there. i would never suggest someone avoid watching Faith Like Potatoes just because of the 'd' word. it was an excellent movie based on a true story, and i wish every christian would watch it.

strong content though, that's a different story. it really depends on how it's portrayed. we live in a world with strong content, and i think christian movies do well to show the world how it really is. but explicit details aren't necessary. we can get the point that a woman is a prostitute without it showing a bedroom scene. we can get the point that someone is a drug dealer without seeing him snort a line. we can get the point that someone is a murderer without seeing him splatter his victim's brains on the wall. we are intelligent people!

i think hollywood tends to forget that, which is why there's so few family friendly movies anymore.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/06/1981

can they? yes. should they? i don't think cussing is ever necessary in a christian film. that being said, i have seen a few christian movies that have the 'd' word peppered here and there. i would never suggest someone avoid watching Faith Like Potatoes just because of the 'd' word. it was an excellent movie based on a true story, and i wish every christian would watch it.

strong content though, that's a different story. it really depends on how it's portrayed. we live in a world with strong content, and i think christian movies do well to show the world how it really is. but explicit details aren't necessary. we can get the point that a woman is a prostitute without it showing a bedroom scene. we can get the point that someone is a drug dealer without seeing him snort a line. we can get the point that someone is a murderer without seeing him splatter his victim's brains on the wall. we are intelligent people!

i think hollywood tends to forget that, which is why there's so few family friendly movies anymore.

Amen! We don't need to see the gritty details unless we really want to. I've seen enough grit in real life to ever want to be reminded of it in the movies! A film can call itself christian or not but WE, as christians, decide if we consider it to be appropriate in content. If it inspires positive christian values in EVERY aspect of the film, I would personally call it christian, but it sounds like this movie goes a step beyond that in the way those ideas are conveyed.

P.S. I also have seen some movies that use our christian values and beliefs to 'suck us in' while the movie itself twists the message that was handed down to us.

Edited by Matt712

Ever seen The Exorcist?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I am not against Christian movies but what people call "Christian" today is an array of different ideas. The film you were given to watch did not fit the bill IMO as being Christian. I am of the opinion that the church should not become like the world and expect to win souls and the one's who may get saved in the process is given the idea that you can be with the world and the church at the same. It is the gospel being preach that causes faith to arise in the heart of the hearers that it causes the lost to respond. Sowing seeds in the heart of the lost can take root and cause them to come to Christ but for the most part Christian movies are not doing so, the language used is not appropriate as it is against the word of God. All the subjects in Christian movies of any kind should have Godly subjects that glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ.

I think that you are right and strong content along with foul language does forfeit these kind of movies as in the Christian section as no way should they ever be classified as Christian. :emot-shakehead:

It's just the new face of the "church" today. Blurring the lines between what is right and what is wrong. Becoming more like the world in order to "reach out" to those who are "seeking." Not the Lord's Gospel, but the "churches."

It's just the new face of the "church" today. Blurring the lines between what is right and what is wrong. Becoming more like the world in order to "reach out" to those who are "seeking." Not the Lord's Gospel, but the "churches."

Matthew 23

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/06/1981

That's true in some cases, but I think most of these quasi-religious movies have nothing to do with any church in any sense. A lot of them are written by screenwriters who presumably think 'how can I tap into what people most love and fear' and by producers who want to evoke emotional reactions. At times in my life I have confused emotional experiences with spiritual ones, and vague philosophical concepts with spiritual truth.

We, in any case, ARE the church. We are Christ's body here on earth and he works through us to bring the message to all who will receive it.

Edited by Matt712

That's true in some cases, but I think most of these quasi-religious movies have nothing to do with any church in any sense. A lot of them are written by screenwriters who presumably think 'how can I tap into what people most love and fear' and by producers who want to evoke emotional reactions. At times in my life I have confused emotional experiences with spiritual ones, and vague philosophical concepts with spiritual truth.

We, in any case, ARE the church. We are Christ's body here on earth and he works through us to bring the message to all who will receive it.

Not every "church" is part of the Body of Christ. In fact, most are not.