IGNORED

GRACE - It's more than a word, can the Bible define it?

Guest Xan

There are many threads that have, or are, reasoning grace, i.e.,"Torah vrs. Grace" and "OSAS or OSNAS" and "Are you saved by grace alone?"

I am persuaded that there are many differing conceptions about what "grace" is.

I'm also therefore persuaded that not all can be right. I think we are comparing apples and oranges most of the time, when we need to be comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Certainly, we should be able to extract some insight from God's word to help clarify:

• What is Grace?
  • When does Grace become effectual in a person?
  • Why isn't Grace effectual in everyone?
  • How does Grace become frustrated?
  • If Grace is frustrated, are there consequences?
  • Is Grace strictly a New Testament phenomenon?

My intention is pretty much just to listen to the responses and to only ask questions of declarations which I feel are not presented with a sound scriptural foundation.

If we are saved by grace, and grace alone, I think we owe it to ourselves and to each other to at least attempt to biblically define it that we all might embrace it with one mind and heart.

"Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

Grace means only one thing to me. Grace is God's glorious forgiveness of my sins for which I should be paying the death penalty for. God gives me eternal life when I deserve nothing but eternal d*amnation. If this isn't proof of the vastness of His love, you will never be convinced.

Grace is Jesus dying on the cross, suffering pain, torture, and humiliation for our sins. He didn't have to do it, but he did. Now by Grace we are saved. You can not put a price on grace, it is priceless. You can pass it on by loving thy neighbor as thyself and leading them to Grace.

boblandis,

Thanks for you response!

I was hoping that you would have presented some scriptures that you feel enlightened you to exactly "what" this grace is.

I know you have a verse or two up your sleeve. ;)

(Edited by BlindSeeker at 9:22 pm on Mar. 24, 2002)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  09/20/1965

Hosea 14:4 "I will love them freely."

Come as you are; God will accept you as you are. Come as you are, without any preparation or fitness; come as you are, and where the cross is lifted high with the bleeding Son of God upon it, fall flat on your face, accepting the love manifested there, willingly receiving this day the grace which God willingly and freely gives.

Faith's only function is to receive what grace offers.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:14

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20:24

"By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God." Romans 5:2

"And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you. Amen." Romans 16:10

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which [was bestowed] upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." 1 Corithians 15:10

"For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward." 2 Corinthians 1:12

"For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich." 2 Corithians 8:9

"Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given [us] everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work." 2 Thess. 2:16-17

Yes, YES, YES!

But WHAT is Grace????

There are many scriptures that speak of it, but are there some that clearly define it? If not we'll all just come to our own conclusions or simply borrow someone else's.

More scriptures like the one JohnS shared, please.

By the way JohnS -

Do you see the grace in His healing their backsliding, thus enabling His anger to be turned away so that He can "love them" freely/unhindered?

Or is it simply His free love? If so then why only some? If it is only "free love" for some then John Calvin was right and Jesus only died for a few and not all.

"I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him."(Hosea 14:4 )

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  09/20/1965

Thank you, Blindseeker! It is a wonderful thing to look into grace. Is it that 'which angels desire to look into'?(1 Pet 1:12) Do we just have the hope of grace at this time?(1 Pet 1:13)

Quote: from JohnS on 7:42 am on Mar. 25, 2002

Thank you, Blindseeker! It is a wonderful thing to look into grace. Is it that 'which angels desire to look into'?(1 Pet 1:12) Do we just have the hope of grace at this time?(1 Pet 1:13)

Thanks to you JohnS,

BUT, it looks like grace it too hard for everyone to biblically define. Though everyone wants to rest their eternal salvation upon it, none seem to be willing to share their biblical understanding of it and try to answer the questions I listed.

Don't get me wrong. I do absolutely believe in grace! But  while everyone boldly declares they are "saved by grace," I am becoming more and more persuaded it is something that most do not understand.

I thought for sure this would be a thread everyone would jump on as an opportunity to defend their position of faith. But by the inactivity, I'm incline to think it is an area many have never questioned or tried to understand and is therefore, perhaps, too hard of a topic for most Christians.

Maybe they're  all waiting for someone else to give them all the answers.

If so, I just hope "that someone" is right.

"Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

To be honest seeker, all I can think of in answer to your questions are hymns, Grace, Grace, God's Grace; Grace that can pardon and cleanse within; Grace, Grace, God's Grace that is greater than all my sin. Grace means unmerited favor, but that is such a simplistic definition. Another hymn comes to mind Amazing Grace. I think your challenge to make it a Biblical definition scared a lot of us off, it did me. A defintion for grace I learned in EE is: Gods, Riches, At, Christs, Expense. In other words its free to us, but it cost God his own son, Jesus.