IGNORED

GRACE - It's more than a word, can the Bible define it?

Guest Xan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/20/1965

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  

Romans 5:6-8

Quote: from JohnS on 11:12 pm on Mar. 26, 2002

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

"If grace means 'unmerited favor', then why isn't everyone saved?"  Good question, Will.  If someone hands you a free gift and you turn it down, do you still have it?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  455
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Very interesting question BS. Although not "biblical" here are some definitions from Webster's that may get the ball rolling.

favor,esteem,kindness,pleasing,agreeable,decency

disposition to grant something freely;favor;good will

mercy,clemency

in theology,(a)the free unmerited love and favor of God; (b)divine influence acting in man to restrain him from sin; © a state of reconciliation to God; (d) spiritual instruction, improvement, and edification

Like in Eph 2:8,9....it is a gift by which we are saved through FAITH. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. This faith is even given by God....Luke 17:5  "And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase ou faith."

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God".

Faith is the belief in an unseen concept (at least for us today). This MUST be spiritually discerned, 1Cor2:15.

So is this an "action" on our part? Is the "re-birth" our doing?

Is there such a thing as passive surrender, with no action at all? We surrender to His will upon being saved.  His will is that we repent(turn away) from our sinful nature and turn to Him. Can this be called an "action"?

Accepting His grace or gift from Jesus is something we do because God wills it. Faith is our connection to His grace.

We cannot know His ways, but only what He tells us to believe, and some we will not understand, that's why we need to have faith(saving kind).

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. (9) For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Isn't our God an AWESOME God?  Praise Him!

Peace to all, Carl

Quote: from CWJ on 9:24 pm on Mar. 27, 2002

Very interesting question BS. Although not "biblical" here are some definitions from Webster's that may get the ball rolling.

favor,esteem,kindness,pleasing,agreeable,decency

disposition to grant something freely;favor;good will

mercy,clemency

in theology,(a)the free unmerited love and favor of God; (b)divine influence acting in man to restrain him from sin; (c )

Quote: from CWJ

So is this an "action" on our part? Is the "re-birth" our doing?

Is there such a thing as passive surrender, with no action at all? We surrender to His will upon being saved.

Accepting His grace or gift from Jesus is something we do because God wills it. Faith is our connection to His grace.

We cannot know His ways, but only what He tells us to believe, and some we will not understand, that's why we need to have faith(saving kind).

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. (9) For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Faith is "our connection to grace" only in the same sense as the wiring in your house is the conduit through which the power flows.

Is it saving grace alone?

Or is it saving faith alone?

No, it's Grace through faith.

Isn't our God an AWESOME God?