IGNORED

Is the Eastern Cougar extinct?

nebula

Those cats could be just relocating. Over the past few years, we're beginning to see more and more of them here in Minnesota. A cougar in MN. 20 years ago was unheard of.

It could also be that we're just not seeing them. They're finding new species of animals all the time. Species that have always been there.

I think someone's looking for some funding.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Those cats could be just relocating. Over the past few years, we're beginning to see more and more of them here in Minnesota. A cougar in MN. 20 years ago was unheard of.

It could also be that we're just not seeing them. They're finding new species of animals all the time. Species that have always been there.

I think you are right.... :thumbsup:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  615
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

Associated Press

Federal researchers declare eastern cougar extinct

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  615
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

I read this also....

According to one of 'the cousins' living in the mountains of Virginia - there is at least one eastern cougar in those hills.... :noidea:

The claim from the article is that sightings are believed to be pets that escaped or were released. Didn't say why they thought that.

The other problem is that none of the claims have returned with hardcore evidence - like photos of paw prints.

So :noidea:

I would love to see the pet cat that killed my neighbors blue tick hounds. The tracks are 4 times the size of a bob cat. I killed a deer a few years ago that was slashed up like Freddie Kruger got hold of her.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

They need to come over to my house and look for them. I have seen one. My neighbors have seen one. My friend had his coon dogs killed by one.

Do you live in the Eastern range?

I would love to see the pet cat that killed my neighbors blue tick hounds. The tracks are 4 times the size of a bob cat. I killed a deer a few years ago that was slashed up like Freddie Kruger got hold of her.

For both of you, you need to photograph the tracks, photograph and collect the scat (droppings), etc. and send it to this organization.

I think you are right.... :thumbsup:

Or it might be what the Cougar Rewilding president said:

"The wildlife service said it has no authority under the Endangered Species Act to reintroduce the mountain lion to the East."

Declare them extinct, and they can begin a re-populating effort using Western cats.

you need to photograph the tracks, photograph and collect the scat (droppings), etc. and send it to this organization.

:sherlock:

ick!!!

Use a garden spade and dump it in a ziplock bag, then place that in a brown bag.

No biggie!

Scientists are moving toward the conclusion that the Eastern cougar was erroneously classified as a separate subspecies in the first place. As a result of a genetic study conducted in 2000, most biologists now believe there is no real difference between the Western and Eastern branches of the cougar family.

www.nytimes.com