IGNORED

Is Acquiring The Holy Spirit equivalent to being Born Again?

oak

This may be completely off, but I think the whole concept of being "Born Again" is very misunderstood. Jesus was giving Nicodemus an example of spiritual birth as opposed to physical birth, and I am not convinced that it was ever intended to be an entire doctrine of its own.

But, to answer what I believe is the question at hand, the Holy Spirit is given the moment that someone turns from their wickedness and confesses that Jesus Christ is Lord. But just as we go through a growing process from physical birth until death, so too we go through a spiritual growth process, and honestly I believe that is the point that Jesus was making. It was more a description than a doctrine.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

This may be completely off, but I think the whole concept of being "Born Again" is very misunderstood. Jesus was giving Nicodemus an example of spiritual birth as opposed to physical birth, and I am not convinced that it was ever intended to be an entire doctrine of its own.

But, to answer what I believe is the question at hand, the Holy Spirit is given the moment that someone turns from their wickedness and confesses that Jesus Christ is Lord. But just as we go through a growing process from physical birth until death, so too we go through a spiritual growth process, and honestly I believe that is the point that Jesus was making. It was more a description than a doctrine.

It is a concept that is repeated and built upon though:

2Co 5:17 So that if any one is in Christ, that one is a new creature; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

It is a concept that is repeated and built upon though:

2Co 5:17 So that if any one is in Christ, that one is a new creature; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

I agree that the concept is found throughout the Bible. But the specific term "You must be born again" is only found in one spot. Again, I see it more as a descriptive term highlighting the difference between the carnal/mortal and the spiritual/immortal, although there are similarities to be drawn as well, if that makes any sense.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Do you have the Holy Spirit indwelling?

Two ways to see in yourself and others.

Your fruits, and do you leave the aroma of Christ behind when you leave any situation / person.

Both good yardsticks.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

First of all I have confessed Jesus Christ as my personal Savior who died for my sins on the cross and was resurrected on the third day. I met many people who have confessed Christ. But here is where I start wondering. Some Christians in my opinion don

Step By Step

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:

for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith:

as it is written, The just shall live by faith. Romans 1:16-17

Bless His Holy Name

I feel that one's Christianity should be reflected in your life. Aren't we supposed to be "slaves of righteousness?" (Rom 6:19). Maybe I'm wrong but with a regenerated heart and mind and having the Holy Spirit shouldn't you experience and see change? I know nothing we do can merit salvation, but don't our actions show how much we indeed love Christ? Shouldn't our faith get stronger? Sometimes I feel that there is an attitude in our time, that we should let God grow the good in us and don't worry about putting any effort or thought in terms of striving for God. I'd like Christians to share their struggles or their perfected state. I sometimes feel like the rich man who approached Christ who indeed obeyed God's Commandments but couldn't sell all he had and follow Him. Do I love Christ more than anything in the world? I feel I may fall short on that account due to my deeds and desires. Am I just overly sensitive?

Beloved He Is Able

Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. Hebrews 7:25

More Than Able

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Revelation 3:19

To Save

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. Jude 1:24-25

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

Love, Your Brother Joe

Really Really Dead ~ But God

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: Ephesians 2:1-6

:thumbsup:

Must

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:3

Be

Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 1 Peter 1:21-23

See

That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:12-14

Yes?

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Galatians 4:6

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

Love, Your Brother Joe

And Shiloh how did you experience a regenerated heart and mind? What made you have a personal relationship with Christ?

Well, my experience was the same as outlined in my initial post. I was saved at 18. I asked Jesus to come into my heart and be my Savior. He did. He gave me a new heart just as He promised He would. He gave me a new set of desires to live for Him and a desire to serve Him. I am completely whole, justified, purified and I have the witness of the Holy Spirit within me that I am saved. It come from making a quality decision. He is my Savior and Lord.

Amen! Than is how it happened for me as well, just a lot later in life (which does not matter, except the gaining of knowledge, and then wisdom, that little which I have, started a bit later in life). But as to being justified, time does not matter. As to sanctification, it is not a path but a journey with no end. The path we walk is that of scripture and His will, and that has boundaries. But our sanctification has no path, not does it have boundaries. Make sense?

And A Little About Me And The Big Book Of Jesus Is Found

Here

Guest shiloh357

First of all I have confessed Jesus Christ as my personal Savior who died for my sins on the cross and was resurrected on the third day. I met many people who have confessed Christ. But here is where I start wondering. Some Christians in my opinion don

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Do you have the Holy Spirit indwelling?

Two ways to see in yourself and others.

Your fruits, and do you leave the aroma of Christ behind when you leave any situation / person.

Both good yardsticks.

I would say the yardstick would be what Paul stated in 1 co 12. second or 3rd verse. You can't call Jesus Lord except by the Holy Spirit. So I would say if one has the Holy Spirit, then thier confession that Jesus is Lord is huge. Sometimes the aroma we may leave is not scented with Christ, but that does not mean we don't have Him.

:thumbsup: Precisely why I said the aroma of Christ. There is a difference yes. But the people you leave behind, do they say, "There is something in that person I want to have?" If that something is the fragrance of the Spirit, you have the Spirit in you....