IGNORED

What do you really know about how to defend your faith?

luke22ministries

Guest shiloh357
Anyways, Shiloh (and the others in this same vein of thought)- I noticed you said you don't answer 'tricky' questions from unbelievers because they mock our faith.
No, that is not what I said. I don't know where you got "tricky" in any thing I said. What I actually said was that I don't entertain questions from skeptics that ask for proof, which the skeptic knows is out of my reach. They ask questions they know we could not possibly have the answer to and then pretend some kind of victory over Christians because they feel they have stumped us. It is really just form mockery. And it also serves to insulate them from anything that would serve as an effective challenge to their belief. In short, they have no intention of being convinced and they get entertainment value from their subtle form of mockery.

I understand not wanting to listen to people mocking something held so dear, but how can you be sure that mockery is what these people intended?
Again, the nature of the questions usually reveal their intent.

I've had people who were genuinely curious ask me difficult questions about Christianity, and I never shy away from trying to answer.
Neither do I. But then I am not referring to those types. I don't have time to entertain people whose only interest in interacting with me is to make me appear to be a laughingstock. If they have genuine questions and demonstrate that they are interested in finding the truth and will be honest and fair about the evidence I can provide, then I will bend over backwards and turn handsprings to help them. If someone is sincere, I have an incredible arsental resources and information at my disposal to help them.

If someone is truly attempting to insult your faith I agree they shouldn't be suffered, but refusing to answer any such questions does more harm than good. Some people honestly find these difficult questions a stumbling block in their walk with God, and if we don't even attempt to reconcile them we come across as ignorant and narrow-minded.

That is nonsense. Jesus said we are not to throw our pearls before swine. My time is better spent on those who want to know the truth. I am not going to waste time on someone who takes entertainment value from seeing me search high and low, work and spend hours pulling together research and information only for them to laugh it off. I have developed the ability to know who is worth the effort and who isn't. I am all for helping people, but I am not going to be played for a fool.

"Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

(Mat 10:16)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

That is nonsense. Jesus said we are not to throw our pearls before swine. My time is better spent on those who want to know the truth. I am not going to waste time on someone who takes entertainment value from seeing me search high and low, work and spend hours pulling together research and information only for them to laugh it off. I have developed the ability to know who is worth the effort and who isn't. I am all for helping people, but I am not going to be played for a fool.

"Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

Sorry to step into this conversation, but might I offer this passage for reflection?

When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world.

I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you, as my dear children. Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Therefore I urge you to imitate me.

(1 Cor 4:12-16)

I'm not saying there isn't a time to wipe dust from our feet. I would ask however; what measure do we use to define that time?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Sorry to step into this conversation, but might I offer this passage for reflection?

When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world.

I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you, as my dear children. Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Therefore I urge you to imitate me.

(1 Cor 4:12-16)

I'm not saying there isn't a time to wipe dust from our feet. I would ask however; what measure do we use to define that time?

Discernment, wisdom and prayer. We have a limited amount of time and we need to be in constant prayer about how to use it.

When you have non believers ask you 1) What about the dinosaurs? How could God have created the earth in 7 days if there is proof they were around a long time before man 2) Where is the proof the whole earth was once under water 3) Where is the Garden of Eden....what do YOU say? How do YOU respond?

1) I would answer that I don't think the theory of evolution and the existance of dinosuars contradicts faith in the Biblical God. Some Christians, especially in the US, are afraid that acceptance of non-7 day creation will undermine faith in both the Bible and God. God is a God of truth however, and if science reveals and explores truth, I have every trust that it will point towards God in the end. Most believers understand that God is 'outside' time, and passages such as "For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night" (Ps 90:4) and "With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day" (2 Pe 3:8) reflect this. God speaking of time is not necessarily speaking in terms of 'human time'.

For all of #1-3, I would ask, Why is that important? If I gave you an answer, would it bring you closer to knowing and possibly accepting God? Or is it just a 'gotcha' question? What really holds you back from trusting in God? Let's talk about that.

I would say it with a warm smile though.

When you have non believers ask you 1) What about the dinosaurs? How could God have created the earth in 7 days if there is proof they were around a long time before man 2) Where is the proof the whole earth was once under water 3) Where is the Garden of Eden....what do YOU say? How do YOU respond?

1) I would answer that I don't think the theory of evolution and the existance of dinosuars contradicts faith in the Biblical God. Some Christians, especially in the US, are afraid that acceptance of non-7 day creation will undermine faith in both the Bible and God. God is a God of truth however, and if science reveals and explores truth, I have every trust that it will point towards God in the end. Most believers understand that God is 'outside' time, and passages such as "For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night" (Ps 90:4) and "With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day" (2 Pe 3:8) reflect this. God speaking of time is not necessarily speaking in terms of 'human time'.

For all of #1-3, I would ask, Why is that important? If I gave you an answer, would it bring you closer to knowing and possibly accepting God? Or is it just a 'gotcha' question? What really holds you back from trusting in God? Let's talk about that.

I would say it with a warm smile though.

I like this approach. I find it always easier to start with Jesus, the most central idea in our faith, and work outwards.. rather than to work outwards in. I don't share your thoughts about "evilution" though, and I plan on beating you with a meat cleaver until you think the same way I do look forward to some interesting discussions coming up :).

God bless

I like this approach. I find it always easier to start with Jesus, the most central idea in our faith, and work outwards.. rather than to work outwards in. I don't share your thoughts about "evilution" though, and I plan on beating you with a meat cleaver until you think the same way I do look forward to some interesting discussions coming up :).

God bless

Ahhhh meat cleavers have brought a lot of unity to the body of Christ!!!

While I disagree with some of his perspectives on God, you may find, "The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief" by Francis Collins an interesting read.

Nice to meet you as well Sister. ;)

Thanks, I'll see if I can't get my hands on a copy of the book. Is faith v's science something you had to grapple with to come to faith?

Welcome (back?) to Worthy.

Thanks, I'll see if I can't get my hands on a copy of the book. Is faith v's science something you had to grapple with to come to faith?

In part, but I think most such struggles are really secondary. Intellectual understanding doesn't come before faith... faith comes first, then the Holy Spirit opens your heart to what God has freely given us.

I think what discussions like that do is to show love and build relationship. If there is no relationship, then those stumbling blocks will not go away regardless of our wisest and most persuasive words. God's words though... they change hearts.

In part, but I think most such struggles are really secondary. Intellectual understanding doesn't come before faith... faith comes first, then the Holy Spirit opens your heart to what God has freely given us.

I think what discussions like that do is to show love and build relationship. If there is no relationship, then those stumbling blocks will not go away regardless of our wisest and most persuasive words. God's words though... they change hearts.

:emot-highfive:

Yes that's so true.

When I came to believe, it was a very sudden change... but science, creationism, miracles etc were not in my mind at the time at all. It was simply a transforming event with Christ when I was born again. He fixed the intellectural thinking later, and really after I was saved it didn't seem like a big deal (science that is) until a period of doubt later on (all fixed now :thumbsup: ).

Yes that's so true.

When I came to believe, it was a very sudden change... but science, creationism, miracles etc were not in my mind at the time at all. It was simply a transforming event with Christ when I was born again. He fixed the intellectural thinking later, and really after I was saved it didn't seem like a big deal (science that is) until a period of doubt later on (all fixed now :thumbsup: ).

May God be praised and glorified in you and through you Sis :thumbsup: