benny balerio

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The Following was written by a friend of mine and I thought that by posting it here that many would gain a greater insight into the Word of God.......God bless to you all and enjoy! :)

This is taken from my notes on my observations comparing the Olivette Discourse as recorded by Matthew, Mark, and Luke.

Let’s examine the differences between the three accounts of this discourse. I will quote Matthew’s account completely, and then will add those verses from Mark and Luke which give additional details.

There are specific differences between these three records of a single teaching. I believe that Jesus taught all of these things, and that these three writers focused on the particular aspects of Jesus’ teaching that the Holy Spirit chose.

I suggest that the differences can be accounted for by the apparent focus of each gospel writer. Many believe that Matthew’s target audience was his countrymen, that Mark wrote targeting the Jews who lived thoughout the Roman Empire, and Luke, the gentile, writing to the gentiles, and anyone anywhere. I’ll have more to say on this later.

Luke

(1) And having looked up, He saw the rich ones putting their gifts into the treasury.

(2) And He also saw a certain poor widow putting two lepta there.

(3) And He said, Truly I say to you, This poor widow put in more than all.

(4) For all these out of their abundance put into the gifts to God, but she out of her poverty put in all the living which she had.

For all the demonstrations of pride and extravagance, the Pharisees and priests in their robes, and the rich with their fancy gifts, Jesus holds up this poor widow, whom I wouldn’t be surprised if no one else noticed, to say this is the one who pleased Him. Of all the gold and gems that were to be used to further decorate and adorn the temple, what Jesus valued most was the sacrificial heart of this seemingly insignificant woman.

Matthew

(1) And going out, Jesus left the temple. And His disciples came to show Him the buildings of the temple.

Mark

(1) . . . Behold! What kind of stones and what kind of buildings!

Luke

(5) . . . that it had been adorned with beautiful stones and gifts,

The disciples had been looking at the temple, with its rich decorations, while Jesus had been watching the people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew

(2) But Jesus said to them, Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, There will not at all be left one stone on a stone which in no way will not be thrown down.

(3) And as He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, Tell us, when will these things be? And, What is the sign of Your coming and of the end of the age?

Mark

(3) . . . Peter and James and John and Andrew questioned Him privately:

(4) Tell us when these things shall be? And what is the sign when all these things are about to be done?

The disciples are asking Jesus four questions:

1. When will the destruction of the temple be?

2. What will be the sign when the temple is about to be destroyed?

3. What is the sign of Jesus’ coming?

4. What is the sign of the end of the age?

They are asking about events that begin with the destruction of the temple by Titus, and complete what will turn out to be around 2000 years later.

Matthew

(4) And answering, Jesus said to them, See that not any leads you astray.

(5) For many will come in My name, saying, I am the Christ. And they will cause many to be led astray.

Luke

(8b)For many will come on My name, saying, I AM! Also, The time has come! Do not go after them.

Luke add, "also, the time has come", as if it had not actually come yet. Matthew and Mark do not include that.

Matthew

(6) But you are going to hear of wars and rumors of wars. See, do not be terrified. For all things must take place, but the end is not yet.

Luke

(9) And when you hear of wars and disturbances, do not be afraid. For these things must first occur, but the end is not at once.--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew

(7) For nation will be raised against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; and there will be famines and plagues and earthquakes against many places.

(8) But all these are a beginning of throes (Gk. Odin – pangs).

Luke

(11) . . .And also there will be terrors and great signs from Heaven.--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew

(9) Then they will deliver you up to affliction (thlipsis), and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name.

(10) And then many will be offended, and they will deliver up one another and will hate one another.

(11) And many false prophets will be raised and will cause many to err.

(12) And because lawlessness shall have been multiplied, the love of the many will grow cold.

(13) But the one who endures to the end, that one will be kept safe.

(14) And this gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the earth for a testimony to all the nations, and then will come the end.

Mark

(9) But you yourselves be careful, for they will deliver you up to sanhedrins and to synagogues. You will be beaten, and you will be led before governors and kings for My sake, for a testimony to them.

(10) And the gospel must first be proclaimed to all the nations.

(11) But whenever they lead you away, delivering you, do not be anxious beforehand, what you should say, nor meditate. But whatever may be given to you in that hour, speak that. For you are not those speaking, but the Holy Spirit.

(12) And a brother will deliver up a brother to death, and a father the child. And children will rise up on parents and will put them to death.

(13) And you will be hated by all on account of My name. But the one enduring to the end, that one will be kept safe.

Luke

(12) But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you, and will persecute you, delivering you into the synagogues and prisons, being led away before kings and governors on account of My name.

(13) But it will return to you for a testimony.

(14) Then put into your hearts not to premeditate to make a defense.

(15) For I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all those opposing you will not be able to withstand or contradict.

(16) But you will be betrayed also by parents, and brothers, and relatives, and friends. And they will put some of you to death,

(17) And you will be hated by all because of My name.

(18) And a hair of your head shall in no way perish.

(19) By your patience you will gain your souls.

Matthew:

Persecution begins after the beginning of birth pangs

National persecution (hated by all nations)

Those enduring to the end will be kept safe

Mark:

Individual persecution (but you yourselves. . .)

Jewish and gentile lands (delivered to sanhedrins and synagogues, kings and governors)

Those enduring to the end will be kept safe

Luke:

Persecution comes before birth pangs

Personal persecution (delivered by parents, etc.)

Jewish and gentile lands

The patient will “gain their soul”

Luke is writing about a different persecution. Matthew and Mark describe persecution that comes after the birth pangs, Luke describes persecution that comes before the birth pangs. Matthew’s description is consistent within Jewish lands, Mark and Luke in Jewish and gentile lands. Matthew and Mark speak of those who must endure the persecution to the end, Luke speaks of those who simply must remain patient. Matthew and Mark speak of those who will be kept safe, Luke those who gain their souls.

This is consistent with Matthew writing to the Jews in Isreal who would enter the 70th Week, Mark writing to the Jews anywhere in the world who would enter the 70th Week, and Luke writing to Jews and gentiles who would be saved before the 70th Week, and would not enter it.

Revelation 3:10 Because you kept the Word of My patience, I also will keep you out of the hour of trial which is going to come on all the habitable world in order to try those dwelling on the earth

Matthew

(15) Then when you see the abomination of desolation, which was spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (the one reading, let him understand),

Mark

(14a) But when you see "the abomination of desolation," the one spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not (he reading, let him understand),

Luke

(20) And when you see Jerusalem being encircled by armies, then recognize that its destruction has come near.

This difference between Matthew’s and Luke’s record continues, and becomes more clear. Matthew and Mark are speaking of the desecration of the temple. This will happen in the middle of the 70th Week, and will be of utmost importance to the Jews during the 70th week. Luke is speaking of the destruction of Jerusalem, important to Jews and Christians during the church age.

Matthew

(16) then let those in Judea flee into the mountains;

Mark

(14b) then let those in Judea flee into the mountains.

Luke

(21a) Then let those in Judea flee into the mountains;

Their instructions are the same – Get into the mountains!

Matthew

(17) the one on the housetop, let him not go down to take anything out of his house;

Luke

(21b) and those in its midst, let them go out.--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew

(18) and the one in the field, let him not turn back to take his garment.

Luke

(21c) And those in the open spaces, let them not go into her.

Matthew

(19) But woe to the ones having a child in womb, and to those suckling in those days!

(20) And pray that your flight will not occur in winter nor in a sabbath.

(21) For there will be great affliction, such as has not happened from the beginning of the world until now, no, nor ever will be.

(22) And except those days were shortened, not any flesh would be saved. But on account of the elect, those days will be shortened.

Luke

(22) For these are days of vengeance when all things that have been written are to be fulfilled.

(23) But woe to the pregnant women, and the ones suckling in those days; for great distress will be on the earth and wrath on this people.

(24) And they will fall by the mouth of the sword and will be led captive to all the nations. And Jerusalem will be trodden down by nations, until the times of the nations are fulfilled.

Again we see significant differences between Matthew and Luke:

Matthew

“... not in a sabbath” – again, important to the Jews

Greatest affliction ever in the world

Days will be shortened lest everyone be killed

Luke

No mention of sabbath

All things that have been written will be fulfilled

Great distress on the earth and wrath upon this people

The Jews will go to captivity, Jerusalem trodden by the nations

Matthew records a prophecy of the end of the age. Luke records a prophecy of the conquering of the Jews, and occupation of Jerusalem.

Matthew is talking about the great tribulation, the unfinished 70th Week of Daniel, while Luke is talking about the Roman destruction of Jerusalem, and the dispersion of the Jews.

Matthew tells us that unless it were cut short, everyone on the earth would die. Luke tells us all will be fulfilled, and that the captivity and diaspora would run their coarse, until the time was over.

One thing about this, Luke is not saying that every prophecy that was ever given would be fulfilled in this time frame, we know that can’t be what he meant. I think he meant that all the curses given for Israel’s disobedience would come upon the people at this time, and would, again, run their course.

Matthew

(23) Then if anyone says to you, Behold, here is the Christ! Or, Here! Do not believe.

(24) For false christs and false prophets will rise up. And they will give great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

(25) Behold, I tell you beforehand.

(26) Then if they say to you, Behold, He is in the wilderness; do not go out. Behold, He is in the inner rooms; do not believe.

(27) For as the lightning comes forth from the east and shines as far as the west, so also will be the coming of the Son of Man.

(28) For wherever the dead body may be, there the eagles will be gathered.--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew

(29) And immediately after the affliction of those days the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give her light, and the stars will fall from the heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

Luke

(25) And there will be signs in the sun and moon and stars. And on the earth will be anxiety of nations with bewilderment, roaring of sea and of surf,

(26) men fainting from fear, and expectation of the things coming on the earth. For the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

Here Luke sums up the events of the tribulation in a couple of lines, as if he is writing to those who will not experience it.

Matthew

(30) And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the heavens. And then all the tribes of the land will wail. And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and much glory.

(31) And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from the ends of the heavens to their ends.

Luke

(27) And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and much glory.

(28) But these things beginning to happen, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.

Matthew writes of those who will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, sending His angels to gather His chosen.

Luke writes "they will see the Son of Man coming . . .", then says, these beginning to happen, lift up your head, your redemption is getting close.

Matthew

(32) But learn the parable of the fig tree: When its branch becomes tender and it puts out leaves, you know that the summer is near; (33) so also you, when you see all these things, know that it is near at the doors.

Luke

(29) And He spoke a parable to them: You see the fig tree and all the trees.

(30) Now when they sprout leaves, seeing it, you will know from yourselves that now the summer is near. (31) So also when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.

“The Parable of the Fig Tree” – Matthew and Mark both say “fig tree”, Israel only. Luke says “fig tree and all the trees”, Israel and all the nations.

Matthew

(34) Truly I say to you, In no way will this generation pass away until all these things have occurred.

(35) The heaven and the earth will pass away, but My Words will not pass away, never!

(36) But as to that day and that hour, no one knows, neither the angels of Heaven, except My Father only.

(37) But as the days of Noah, so also will be the coming of the Son of Man.

(38) For as they were in the days before the flood: eating, and drinking, marrying, and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah went into the ark.

(39) And they did not know until the flood came and took all away. So also will be the coming of the Son of Man.

(40) At that time two will be out in the field; the one is taken away, and the one is left;

(41) two grinding at the mill; one is taken away, and one is left.

(42) Watch, then, for you do not know in what hour your Lord comes.

Here, as in Luke 17, Jesus compares the time of His coming to the time of Noah. But unlike in Luke 17, He does not compare it to the time of Lot. Lot serves as a type of the church, which is removed prior to judgment. Noah serves as a type of Israel, preserved through judgment.

Mark

(33) Watch! Be wakeful, and pray. For you do not know when the time is.

(34) As a man going away, leaving his house, and giving his slaves authority, and to each his work (and he commanded the doorkeeper, that he watch),

(35) then you watch, for you do not know when the lord of the house is coming, at evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrowing, or early;

(36) so that he may not come suddenly and find you sleeping.

(37) And what I say to you, I say to all. Watch!

Mark’s account end’s here. This parable expresses the same points as the parables in Matthew.

Matthew

(43) But know this, that if the housemaster had known in what watch the thief comes, he would have watched and not have allowed his house to be dug through.

(44) Because of this, you also be ready, for in that hour you think not, the Son of Man comes.

Luke

(34) But take heed to yourselves that your hearts not be loaded down with headaches, and drinking, and anxieties of life, and that day come suddenly upon you

(35) as a snare, for it will come in on all those sitting on the face of all the earth. Isa. 24:17

(36) Then be watchful at every time, begging that you be counted worthy to escape all these things, the things being about to happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.

(37) And in the days, He was teaching in the temple. And going out in the nights, He lodged in the Mount of Olives.

(38) And all the people came early to Him in the temple, to hear Him.

Both Matthew and Luke summerize at this point, but again, differently. While Matthew expresses watchfulness towards the coming of the Son of Man, Luke expresses watchfulness towards ourselves, that we would escape the coming judgments. In saying “that you be counted worthy to escape all these things,” we don’t escape because we know the right time to run, but because we are catagorized as the right kind of people. We know that our only “worthiness” is to receive Jesus’ righteousness. This is consistent with the church being removed from the earth in the pre-trib rapture.

Conclusion

I think Matthew wrote his gospel targeting a Jewish audience. He portrays Jesus as the Son of David, King of Israel. His record of the Olivette Discourse is specifically geared towards the Jews, and “national Israel”. He includes the prophecies of the end of the age, the coming of Jesus, the teaching of expectation, the parables of the coming, and the sheep and goats judgment, as the nations are judge concerning their treatment of Israel (compare to Joel 3).

Mark is commonly believed to have written Peter’s recollections. Peter was called the apostle to the circumcision (Gal 2:8 “For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles”). He is known to have had ministered to the Jewish communities outside of Israel. His letters were written to the “exiles of the diaspora”, the dispersion. He records Jesus’ teaching with much the same focus as Matthew, the minor differences reflective of Peter’s apostleship to Jews in both Israel and gentile lands.

Luke portrays Jesus as the Son of Man, Savior of the world. He gives a much different emphasis in his record.

While Matthew and Mark record the persecution of the Jews, Luke records the persecution of the church prior to the 70th week. Instead of writing about the Abomination of Desolation, as do Matthew and Mark, Luke records the prophecy of the Roman destruction of Jerusalem. With the exception of 2 verses directly relating to Jesus’ coming in power and glory, Luke writes primarily of those events that take place before the 70th week.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke each record Jesus’ teaching of expectancy, but again, Luke gives a different emphasis. While Matthew and Mark are both writing of the surprise coming of Jesus, and the importance of enduring to the end, Luke writes about the surprise coming of that day, and the possibility of escaping those things being about to happen.

John portrays Jesus as the Son of God, the Good Shepherd, and while John’s gospel does not include any of this discourse, John did record what none of the others did, Jesus’ end times teaching given specifically and personally to the disciples in particular, in John 14, of the rapture:

John 14:1-3

1 Do not let your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.

2 In My Father's house are many dwelling places. But if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going to prepare a place for you!

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you to Myself, that where I am you may be also.

Jesus is going to heaven, and the only time He will be taking people to be with Him in heaven is at the rapture, when the church is taken from the earth. Following the 70th Week, Jesus returns to earth, and any who join Him will Join him there, on the earth.

So as Matthew writes his gospel of the Son of David, King of Israel, telling what will happen to the sons of David, and father Abraham, and Luke writes of the Son of Man, telling what will happen to the sons of Adam, John writes of the Son of God, and tells what will happen to God’s children.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Very good balerio. Perhaps a little long for the start. - Would you mind giving a short form.

I will definitely watch how this topic goes. Greetings - Jo