• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

I never spoke in tongues, nor did I ever hear anybody speak in tongues. If I ever hear somebody speak in tongues, my first thought is going to be "are you for real".

So here is my question to those that have experienced tongues. If I hear somebody speaking in tongues, how do I know it is the real deal or somebody just showboating? I'm sure somewhere on my walk with Christ, I'm going to hear someone speaking tongues, I just know it.

I would hope that no one would 'showboat' by speaking in tongues. Most people that I know of only do this in private, although I have heard people praying quietly in church.

As far as telling if it's 'the real deal' , don't know what to tell you except to be open to the Holy Spirit & let Him show you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I never spoke in tongues, nor did I ever hear anybody speak in tongues. If I ever hear somebody speak in tongues, my first thought is going to be "are you for real".

So here is my question to those that have experienced tongues. If I hear somebody speaking in tongues, how do I know it is the real deal or somebody just showboating? I'm sure somewhere on my walk with Christ, I'm going to hear someone speaking tongues, I just know it.

If you hear someone use it while they are praying, don't worry about it.

If the person uses it while prophesying, judge the words you hear in English and not worry about the part you do not understand.

If a person speaks in tongues to the congregation, let the leadership of the church worry about it.

But if you are concerned, you can ask the Lord to silence what is not of Him and bless what is of Him.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I would hope that no one would 'showboat' by speaking in tongues. Most people that I know of only do this in private, although I have heard people praying quietly in church.

As far as telling if it's 'the real deal' , don't know what to tell you except to be open to the Holy Spirit & let Him show you.

Thank-you for your response.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Scripture also tells us when speaking in tongues there should be an interpreter. Is this part of scripture being followed by those who say they speak in tongues.

This was briefly mentioned, and then no one responded to it.

So Im curious. For those who speak in or have heard spoken tongues, do you all have interpreters?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Private prayer language doesn't need interpretation.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Scripture also tells us when speaking in tongues there should be an interpreter. Is this part of scripture being followed by those who say they speak in tongues.

So Im curious. For those who speak in or have heard spoken tongues, do you all have interpreters?

I do agree that if the tongue is used to speak to the Assembly, there does need to be an interpretation given.

Personally, I've never spoken in tongues to the Assembly. I've only "spoken to God" in tongues...and I don't think God needs an interpreter.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

Tongues should be interpreted in an assembly setting when God is giving a message for the Body. Tongues in private prayer do not need an interpretation, but you can ask for the interpretation.

Sometimes while praying, I get some understanding of the purpose when praying for myself & family. That is not the case when praying for people with circumstances that I don't know. I don't ask God for interpretations in such cases, mainly because it is none of my business---- I am just called on to pray.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Well before the assembly, yes an interpretation must be given. Why give one in tongues at all, that I do not know but I have seen it done in this way, with an interpretation given, and it produced good fruit.

Praying in tongues is more between you and Jesus, Like this story I heard puts it well.

A mother was walking past her young daughters room one night, just as she was praying her bedtime prayers. From a distance she could tell it was fervent, as she could here her daughter quietly weeping as she prayed. As she got closer she heard the word she was saying, and when she did she was shocked and confused by what she heard.

Her daughter was praying "A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z...." and repeating this over and over.

when she was done, her mom asked, "Honey, I know you love to pray, but why where you praying the alphabet?

She answered "Well Mommy, I have so much in my heart, I just don't know what to say, so I pray the alphabet, cuz Jesus knows what I want to say and he can put the words together for me!"

That is what praying in tongues is for me.

Of course is it just "babbling? Well...

I know of missionary, that I met, that was at a revival meeting in Africa if I remember correctly. He was praying in a corner in tongues, in his own, "babbler" way just to Jesus. Well he did not realize there was a man standing behind him, who interrupted him. I don't remember all the details, but in short, it turned out to be the mans native tongue and he had been telling the man his whole life story. The man came to Christ on the spot.

And, then there is the story in the book "Bruchko" by Bruce Olsen, a missionary to a "Stone age" tribe. Through a series of hardships, and long labor, he was able to lead the whole tribe to Christ. The next day they were so excited they had to go tell there former enemies and current neighbors about it. So they did and lead that entire tribe to Christ. The thing is, this. They did not speak the same language, and yet they talked and both were understood, and understood by them.

They had no theology, only a basic grasp of Jesus, and they spoke in tongues.

So, there is a bit more detailed on my take of things.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Do you speak in tongues Izzy?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

For those of you in tongue speaking congregations, if someone is speaking tongues during church, and there is no interpreter, does your church ask them to be quiet as according to scripture?