• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

Hey all. My husband and I heard about this from someone and they really liked it. I was wondering if anyone has used this as an alternative to a regular cell phone. It looks more in our price range, and since we have no credit really, it would be easier for us to use.

Comments are appreciated.

TracFone

PS. We've have a horrible time trying to get a home phone connected. It has been almost 2 months, and they still haven't hooked it up. They made us send all this proof of ID, etc, and still.. no service. We are moving in 6 weeks, so we're going to just tell the phone company to forget it, but we really need a phone to be in contact with people. So, it looks like a good idea.

no one? lol. Gosh..

Maybe if someone could check out the site, and let me know what you think.. does it look... ok? Er.. I dunno what I'm asking, lol. just really curious if this looks worth it, or a waste of money.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/20/1970

Hey all. My husband and I heard about this from someone and they really liked it. I was wondering if anyone has used this as an alternative to a regular cell phone. It looks more in our price range, and since we have no credit really, it would be easier for us to use.

Comments are appreciated.

TracFone

PS. We've have a horrible time trying to get a home phone connected. It has been almost 2 months, and they still haven't hooked it up. They made us send all this proof of ID, etc, and still.. no service. We are moving in 6 weeks, so we're going to just tell the phone company to forget it,  but we really need a phone to be in contact with people. So, it looks like a good idea.

Hi. I don't personally own one, but my parents do. They like it quite a bit. The only thing is that if you do not renew it before the time period of the minutes that you purchased are over, you will be issued a new phone number which can be a hassle. It is also much cheaper to purchase the most amount of minutes that you can at a time. I hope that helps a little. ;)

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I duno about TracPhones but.. I used to have a cel phone that worked on phone cards. It only did local calls though.. And anyone can get one, its very easy.. you just go in and buy the phone, they link it to a service and give it a number, then you buy a card and dial the number on the back and enter the code and it adds minutes to your account.. no bills, no personal information, or anything.. and you can buy new cards to add minutes whenever you want.. it was really neat.

Hehee I just read the site.. I had almost the same thing except it was from a different service.. I also had a bigger choice of cards I could buy.. but I didnt get one of those neat phones though it was kinda one of the older type of phones.

Edited by alecia

Oh great! thanks for the info. I'm not sure what we'll do but thanks for the info :huh:

Guest Fisherofmen

I've heard of one, and thought about buying one instead of a cell phone. I've heard their ads on John Boy & Billy on the radio, and they only talk about the best stuff.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Yes, a Tracfone is what I use. I have no desire for a monthly bill, and a cell phone is not a priority for me. I have a Tracfone for convenience - if I'm out and need to call home, or want to order a pizza and have it ready when I get there....

I don't even know my phone number (it's written down somewhere) because I never have it on - I turn it on only to make a call.

The prepaid cards are expensive when compared minute-by-minute with cell phone plans. But for me, it's perfect. Yeah, I may pay more per minute, but I buy a $20.00 card that lasts me two months. For cellphone plans - $80.00 a month is about the average, with many much higher. I buy my cards at Dollar General or WalMart. Yes, there is an expiration date, but my minutes are usually gone, or close to gone, by then. If they aren't, it's no big deal. You buy another card and add it on - it moves up your expiration date another (I think) two months and adds on the minutes.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/22/1983

my friend had one and she liked it, BUT...

you might want to sit down and make sure that it's cheaper in the long run. especially if the phones are going to be your main phone connection. from the website it looks like 200 minutes cost $49.99. i'm on my parent's cell phone plan, and we get 300 minutes to share + free nights and weekends, free mobile-to-mobile anytime, a "family plan", where i can call the house anytime for free, on 3 different cell phones for probably about $75/month? (it might be even a good bit less than that).

if you were to get the 200 minute tracfone plan, it wouldn't last very long at all. i don't think they have a free nights and weekends plan. on the last family bill, i alone used over 1000 minutes (345 of which were day minutes and i got in trouble... but that's another story :huh: ). and i'm not really a phone talker at all! tracfone worked for my friend because she didn't really use her phone at all, but it would most definitely NOT work for me or my parents, because our phones are our main avenue of talking to each other. if you're worried about the cost of the phone itself, most plans offer free phones or super duper cheap phones if you sign onto the plan.

so... all that to say, i'd shop around if i were you. tracfone might seem like a good deal if you're just looking at the price, but definitely make sure that what you get will meet all your needs. i hope everything works out for you soon!

Yeah, I'm checking this out and I know for us... we make ALOT of calls, long distance, etc. His family is in ARizona, and mine are in maine and Florida.. and we're going to be living in Washington state next month.. so I'm thinking it would just be cheaper for us to have a reg cell-phone, they have some great plans, for not that much.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

I would say that, if you are going to use it a lot, then it's not what you want. It is more expensive.

For someone who only has a phone for emergencies, it's great.