• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  187
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1959

Mussels near North Pole hint at warmer Earth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The blue mussels, which normally favor warmer waters like off France or the eastern United States, were discovered last month off Norway's Svalbard archipelago in waters that are covered with ice most of the year.

"The climate is changing fast," said Geir Johnsen, a professor at the Norwegian University for Science and Technology who was among experts who found the bivalves. Mollusks were a "very good indicator that the climate is warming," he said.

"It seems like the mussels we found are two to three years old," he told Reuters. Such shellfish have not been recorded off the islands since Viking times 1,000 years ago during another warm period.

U.N. scientists say the Arctic is now warming faster than any other region because of human emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases released from burning fossil fuels in cars, factories and power plants.

As the white ice and snow melts, it exposes darker ground or water that soaks up heat and so accelerates warming compared to regions further south. By comparison, ice in Antarctica is thicker and acts as a deep freeze resisting global warming.

Inuit peoples in Canada, for instance, are seeing robins for the first time and hunters are falling through previously solid sea ice. In Scandinavia, birch trees are moving northwards into previously icy areas used for reindeer herding.

The scientists monitoring Svalbard also said they had found seas free of ice further north than for 250 years at one point this summer.

"The climate has been warming," said Bjorn Gulliksen, a professor at the University of Svalbard. "The ice limit...has not been as far north since 1751."

Such shellfish have not been recorded off the islands since Viking times 1,000 years ago during another warm period.

That reminds me of something Clinton said while in office, about "this being the warmest year since the 1400's".

Now, am I missing something, or do these two 'facts' demonstrate that it used to be warmer, back before freon, auto emissions, etc, etc.

There is no reason to panic, warm climate is natural. If you REALLY want to do something about it, do something about the real cause of global warming - the sun! Has anyone bothered to notice, that the "scientist" credited with sounding the global warming alarm, was the same guy that was warning us of the coming ice age when I was in High School? Just a thought.

I've read the book, I know how the story ends, and we are not wiped out for unsound ecological problems, we have bigger problems than that!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  624
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Can't ignore it and hope it goes away either. There needs to be a balanced look at things like this.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Too many cow farts. :oww:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Actually . . .

More methane is released into the atmosphere from garbage dumps/landfills than from cows.

Bet the politicians don't dare even touch that one. . . .

Which is probably why you never heard this before. :rolleyes:

It is my understanding that the largest source of methane production on earth is

decomposition of organic material in our oceans. It covers 70% of the earth's surface.

Are the liberals going to blame Bush for that too? :laugh:

Kat

• Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

It is my understanding that the largest source of methane production on earth is

decomposition of organic material in our oceans. It covers 70% of the earth's surface.

Are the liberals going to blame Bush for that too? :laugh:

Kat

Well come Nov 4th, methane production should be significantly reduced once kerry shuts his trap...

Are the liberals going to blame Bush for that too?  :laugh:

Kat

Well come Nov 4th, methane production should be significantly reduced once kerry shuts his trap...

I agree and I would think that would apply to his significant other also. ;)

Hehe!!

Kat