Isaiah 6:8

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Sorry if this is repeating another post, but I am not going to read 8 pages to see.

Money is a means we use to measure the worth of our time and talents, the value of something we have, or the value of something we want to purchase. Money is no more that a tool.

I hear you brother. :thumbsup:

It seems like a lot of people agree with you...

IMO, money is not evil. It's just stuff, after all. The evil is in what some do with money.

I don't think money is evil, Money is something we need to survive. If we don't have or make enough money then it's very hard to live. I know money isn't everything which I am raising my son to understand but we need to face the facts,, if you don't have money, you don't have food, water, electric and cable.

I think it's the people that make money evil

Sara

I don't believe money is evil, in my opinion, I believe the love of the money is evil.

There is nothing wrong with money. We need it to buy things. It is how things are valued. But like anything else, liking it too much is bad.

Last time I checked, my boss wasn't interested in paying me in horses and pigs. It would be nice if everything was free, but that just isn't reality.

Money, in and of itself, can't be evil because it is just a medium of exchange. Money doesn't eat, think or do stuff. 'Money' is really just a component of the overall, larger concept of 'stewardship'. If we truly believe that God owns everything, then it is our duty as stewards to manage what has been put under our trust. Therefore, we should try to be good stewards of our finances. I believe it is biblical to:

-View our finances as a tool and not as a master.

-Be content with what we have and live within our means.

-Be purposeful in our giving by having goals and being systematic, organized and not spontaneous givers.

In this way we can use the stuff of 'the world' for the furtherance of God's kingdom.

I don't think Jesus minds if we use money for essentials (like clothes, food, etc) or for good purposes (like donating) but he does mind if we love money before him, because then money becomes an idol.

True! If we start putting our faith, hope, and security in our money instead of God, we are idolaters. But if our hearts belong to Jesus, then money can be a tool for ministry and making the world around us a better place. I don't think it's necessary to stigmatize or fear money; the Bible doesn't forbid Christians from gaining large amounts of money. But we need to use it for God’s glory, keeping the right mindset about and correctly using the good things that God gives us. Many times, we'll then see that He multiplies those good things.

And a few more...

Only the love of it. :mgcheerful:

True bopeep! This one has an easy answer.

1Ti_6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Money is paper. It is what is in our hearts and minds that cause us problems.

Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV)

You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.

Psa_119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

The Bible says it's the love of money that's the root of all evil, not the money itself. Money isn't a living thing - it can't "do" good or evil - it's simply a "thing." Before printed money or coinage, people simply bartered for what they needed. Were the things that were traded "evil?"

I think my overall point is this. Many Christians do not handle their money well. They do what average people do and that is spend money they don't have, on things they don't need to impress people they don't like. Many Christians are broke, and they feel that this is somehow godly as being wealthy is my its nature "Evil" as is money. They mishandle the money God gives them to manage, and so God will not give them more to manage. Even if they manage money a little better they avoid trying to have extra to give, again because in their head Money and wealth in its nature is a trap and evil.

Remember you must take things in context and the whole word, not just part. Also look at biblical examples, and they only people whose wealth was a problem had other heart issues, every single one of them, the wealth issue was a big but secondary issue.

It was a wealthy man in my case who paid out of pocket for my entire time as a missionary. The missionary bases new extension campus was paid for primarily by wealthy christians.

To wrap up, I believe all Christians should manage their money wisely. If they do, by the nature of how money works they will eventually become wealthy. That is to say if you spend less than you make and save money, and do not ever get into debt you will eventually become wealthy. This is not chasing riches, this is not making money the center of your life, this is slowly over time with wisdom and hard work managing the money the Lord has given to you and increasing it, just like the good steward. With this money you can then turn around and sew it into the kingdom, and be a blessing. To have wealth, just to be wealthy is putting your money where God should be is most definitely wrong. To have God at the center of your heart, and have HIs wealth to manage to take care of your family, and to give, is a wonderful thing and something many in the Church today are missing. Too many babies are being tossed out with the bathwater on this one.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,393
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I agree it is an assumption people bartered/traded... So if there was not a way to barter/trade how do you propose things were run?

Well the garden was tree to mouth... then expulsion... Then flood no mention of riches then eight people and their generations.

Historically speaking Egyptians were some of the first to mine copper, gold, and silver. See: http://www.reshafim....pics/mining.htm

So I'm not sure if your assertion is valid that the gold/silver Abram had was from his home at Ur. :noidea:

To assume either way is extra biblical... so that is

why I looked to influence and that was of Babel spread out to the rest of world...

Ge 10:8-12

8 Cush begot Nimrod; he began to be a mighty one on the earth. 9 He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; therefore it is said,

"Like Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord." 10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, Erech, Accad, and Calneh,

in the land of Shinar. 11 From that land he went to Assyria and built Nineveh, Rehoboth Ir, Calah, 12 and Resen between

Nineveh and Calah (that is the principal city).

NKJV

Here it seems to indicate world influence vs 8... as this is probable then for great influence then when scattered from here

Ge 11:9

9 Therefore its name is called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth;

and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth.

NKJV

so also the influence of system and way of doing... from a singularity to diversity yet commonness as to a monetary system of precious metal!

This a world wide formation of commonness of precious metals yet in language diversity... What do you see in Scripture that could produce

this commonality in a language diverse system?

I purpose from the Scripture it's origins are from Babel/Babylon. As Scripture denotes Egypt was animal reward yet Abram also had gold and silver as idea of value system... therefore the idea must have come from where he was from and not in Egypt itself...

Regarding Babel/Babylon... Sorry now it's my turn. I believe this is not supported by Scripture in bold... There is no mention in Genesis 11 in the account of the Tower of Babel of precious metals.

No riches perceived with precious metal is listed but with Abram yet is seen world wide later in histories. Abram didn't have this influence.

So the influence had to come from somewhere else earlier! Something capable of world influence before separation of languages...

I agree it is an assumption people bartered/traded... So if there was not a way to barter/trade how do you propose things were run?

Well the garden was tree to mouth... then expulsion... Then flood no mention of riches then eight people and their generations.

So... How do you propose all those generations traded items or acquired different things? Curious.

Historically speaking Egyptians were some of the first to mine copper, gold, and silver. See: http://www.reshafim....pics/mining.htm

So I'm not sure if your assertion is valid that the gold/silver Abram had was from his home at Ur. :noidea:

To assume either way is extra biblical... so that is why I looked to influence and that was of Babel spread out to the rest of world...

Ge 10:8-12

8 Cush begot Nimrod; he began to be a mighty one on the earth. 9 He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; therefore it is said,

"Like Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord." 10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, Erech, Accad, and Calneh,

in the land of Shinar. 11 From that land he went to Assyria and built Nineveh, Rehoboth Ir, Calah, 12 and Resen between

Nineveh and Calah (that is the principal city).

NKJV

Here it seems to indicate world influence vs 8... as this is probable then for great influence then when scattered from here

Ge 11:9

9 Therefore its name is called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth;

and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth.

NKJV

so also the influence of system and way of doing... from a singularity to diversity yet commonness as to a monetary system of precious metal!

This a world wide formation of commonness of precious metals yet in language diversity... What do you see in Scripture that could produce

this commonality in a language diverse system?

So we agree that precious metals came from Ur or Egypt is extra-Biblical. The Bible doesn't specify. That's good to find common ground.

Nimrod was a mighty hunter and ruler over cities. There is no indication that anything other than a common language and purpose was in place. There is no evidence Biblical or otherwise (excavations, historical, etc.) to indicate those who built the tower of Babel had a unified economic system. If you're trying to say Gen. 10 or 11 say as such we'll have to dig deeper. I don't see it in the text.

God bless,

GE

So... How do you propose all those generations traded items or acquired different things? Curious.

I simply do not know! From Garden provision, fall of man, and system we have now is the question isn't it!

We see in tribal peoples all kinds of different methods and value systems besides precious metals... so world acceptance

of a certain system precious metals and gems is not by accident and seeing God reaction to the great Babylon in end

times when the great Babylon is gone must indicate the spawn of the system that would come against God!

I simply do not know! From Garden provision, fall of man, and system we have now is the question isn't it!

We see in tribal peoples all kinds of different methods and value systems besides precious metals... so world acceptance

of a certain system precious metals and gems is not by accident and seeing God reaction to the great Babylon in end

times when the great Babylon is gone must indicate the spawn of the system that would come against God!

Again, where is the Biblical backing for this?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

True bopeep! This one has an easy answer.

1Ti_6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Money is paper. It is what is in our hearts and minds that cause us problems.

Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV)

You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.

Psa_119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

It might only be paper but people thirst for it.It has caused alot of damage in come instances.It brings power and false security.

Again, where is the Biblical backing for this?

Well the study now must go to spiritual Babylon in prophecy:

Rev 17, 18, 19 noting the descriptives of 'Babylon The Great' which is an anti-christ system of

world domination and behold precious metal and gems as riches. Now the question remains why does

God bring in this reference to 'Babylon the great' when the actual city is no more? God permits us

to view a demonstration of this type of His Reasoning in the King of Tyre Ezk 28...One the earthly king

the other a picture of satan whereby like patterns can be seen! I believe by Scripture to be able to apply

backwards as God has applied forwards this 'babylon the great'. Love, Steven

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I wrote out a long winded post concerning why money itself is evil only to come to the conclusion that nothing in and of itself within the creation is evil except the entities that have the ability to choose to place themselves before God and act contrary to his character in any given situation or circumstance.

Just as Adam and Eve mistakenly perceived their nakedness to be evil and sought to cover up that which they perceived to be evil when the evil was inside of them, money and the need for it is basically an attempt to work around the evil within each and every one of us. When evil is put away gold will no longer be currency but pavement and so it is that the need for something to be considered to have personal value unto me that more important to me than your needs being met is where the evil lies.

1Cr 13:4 Charity (love) suffereth long, [and] is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

1Cr 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

In a people ruled by love there is no need for money. In a people ruled by law money is a ready answer.

Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

God is Love.

Who do we serve? Love or Money? We cannot serve both.