• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  373
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/10/1963

I recently stumbled on to this question and people have different opinions on this subject.

Was the Virgin Mary sinless or not?

Some of the answers I have heard range from a Catholic view to what is in the Bible.

Any thoughts here? :noidea:

Guest shiloh357

I recently stumbled on to this question and people have different opinions on this subject.

Some of the answers I have heard range from a Catholic view to what is in the Bible.

May is not a virigin and she was never "sinless" while on earth. Mary ceased being a virgin after Jesus was born and she and Joseph had other children.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Scripture does not say she was sinless nor that she never was a sinner.

Scripture makes it clear that no one does good nor seek God. If you say that Mary was obedient then I would say yes because that lines up with Scripture that she obeyed the Lord and allowed herself to be used as a vessel to bear the Messiah who would be the Savior.

But to say that Mary herself was sinless is over-reaching but if I remember correctly, it had to do with the Gnostic teachings that was alarming to people about Jesus's humanity/divinity if he was truly a man or if he did not have any sin within him and the response developed to those heretical teachings that Mary was sinless and therefore, no sin was passed to Jesus... Ergo, Jesus was sinless.

Edited by Cajunluvie

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,400
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Everyone is a sinner! All except Christ He bore our sins but had none of His own!

Rom 3:23-24

23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

NKJV

it amazes me how exact something can be said and then still there is questions ... 'all we like sheep' .... Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It's funny how people believe God needed a sinless mother in order to be sinless.

:hmmm:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Luke 1:47-49 [Mary speaking]

47And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

48For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden

If God was Mary's Saviour, which he is, than she was in need of being saved.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I have always believed (and still do) that Jesus is the only sinless person to walk the face of the earth, for he was God in the flesh.

We, like the Christians of the past are not sinless, but our goal is to sin less as we walk the walk Christ taught us to do.

Guest shiloh357

Scripture does not say she was sinless nor that she never was a sinner.

Scripture makes it clear that no one does good nor seek God. If you say that Mary was obedient then I would say yes because that lines up with Scripture that she obeyed the Lord and allowed herself to be used as a vessel to bear the Messiah who would be the Savior.

Exactly. In fact, if the argument that Jesus was sinless because Mary was sinless, then Mary had to have a sinless mother as well, meaning that her mother had to have a sinless mother going back in an endless succession of emaculate conceptions.

The sin nature is passed through the father. Jesus had no earthly father, but was conceived by the Holy Spirit. That is what made Him sinless; He was/is fully God and fully man.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

This quote from an old preacher stuck with me from my youth-----"You are not a sinner because you sin, you sin because you are a sinner."

The revelation of that statement hit me years later, when I finally understood that 'sinner' is the state we are all born in. Mary was born in that same state, as were all her ancestors. Jesus was the only person ever that was not born in the fallen state of sinner.

• Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

This quote from an old preacher stuck with me from my youth-----"You are not a sinner because you sin, you sin because you are a sinner."

The revelation of that statement hit me years later, when I finally understood that 'sinner' is the state we are all born in. Mary was born in that same state, as were all her ancestors. Jesus was the only person ever that was not born in the fallen state of sinner.

Thank you, I am glad someone said this, mainly the first sentence and the second is not far behind. :thumbsup: