MrClark

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I've heard many atheists say that Christians are naive or are deluding themselves by thinking that life exists after death. That Christians (unlike atheists) are too afraid and immature to face the total annihilation of consciousness that awaits us after death. Some of them have seemed almost gleeful to me in anticipation of this, simply to prove that they were right and we were wrong. This has always bothered me, not because of the (implied or overt) insults, but because of the way they seem to await their demise. If it were true, that death was the final end, why would this be something that anyone would look forward to? Nothing you would have ever done in your life would mean anything. Indeed all of human existence would mean nothing. There would be no point to morality, lawfulness, mercy, or charity. The only point would be hedonism. Moreover, even if there was no other call to believe in an afterlife other than a fifty-fifty chance of it existing or no, with no indications either way, why would you choose to look forward to oblivion rather than something that would provide meaning and purpose?

If a group of people was exploring a cave and a collapse occurred, stranding them in the dark, they would surely look forward to the hope of rescue even though they may not have better than a fifty-fifty chance of making it out alive. In this case such an outlook is called optimism, but in the case of an afterlife it's termed childish fantasy. Why? The truth is I do take great comfort in the belief of a life everlasting. If that makes me childish, well, I can live with that if the alternative is eagerly awaiting my destruction just to prove a point. We have no concept of true oblivion because we have nothing comparable, even nothing is something. Maybe that is why people aren't afraid of it. I don't want to not-exist though. I want to exist, I want to be. I guess I also just wanted to know I'm not alone.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

You are not alone! Nothingness is a horrific thought to me.

I wonder if the atheists you are referring to are preferring the thought of "nothingness" to any kind of eternal life so that they won't have to deal with the possibilities/implications, and probable responsibilities involved if there truly is an eternity of conscious existence ahead of us?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Such fools are self deluded. They say in their heart that there is no God, then try to project that to others because that is what they so hopelessly wish...that there will be no God to judge them at the time of their death.

A question to ask them: WHAT IF YOU'RE WRONG?

.... I've heard many atheists say that Christians are naive or are deluding themselves by thinking that life exists after death....

They Say Their Sure Hope Is Death

But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death. Proverbs 8:36

But They Will Find Death

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:28-29

A Fickle Lover

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:13-15

Unless

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

I think I maybe need to clarify my last post on this topic. I was in no way meaning by what I said that I wonder if there is a conscious eternity ahead of us. I was trying to speak as I thought someone might if they believed death was truly the end and we would cease to exist at that point.

I believe in a conscious eternity for both believer and unbeliever. In heaven for those that have put their faith in Jesus, and in hell for those that have not.

Guest shiloh357
I actually prefer the idea of not existing when I die. And in fact, if we go to live in the Kingdom of God, we will not be the same person we were on earth, so we do, in a sense, cease to exist upon death. It's not that I fear death; I fear remaining as I am for eternity.

You will be the same person, but you won't have the same struggles and trials you have here on earth. After death, if you are a Christian, you will be MORE alive than you are now. Heaven is a really cool place.

I would not want to just disappear into oblivioun because God has placed a better desire in heart. The desire to live with Him for all eternity. There is no sense in which a Christian ceases to exist at death.

I actually prefer the idea of not existing when I die. And in fact, if we go to live in the Kingdom of God, we will not be the same person we were on earth, so we do, in a sense, cease to exist upon death. It's not that I fear death; I fear remaining as I am for eternity.

You will be the same person, but you won't have the same struggles and trials you have here on earth. After death, if you are a Christian, you will be MORE alive than you are now. Heaven is a really cool place.

I would not want to just disappear into oblivioun because God has placed a better desire in heart. The desire to live with Him for all eternity. There is no sense in which a Christian ceases to exist at death.

Amen~!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

Egor, do you dream? If you do you already know that your conscious never sleeps. Even people in a

coma hear what is going on around them, which indicates that while our eyes close and our body rests in

what we call sleep, our consciousness never stops; indeed it is the engine that keeps us alive while our body rests.

It is my opinion that this consciousness will never shut off.

I think that when we die, our conscious (perhaps our spirit?) goes right into the very presence of God.

Now that is my opinion, and as such is not Biblical, but is derived on what I have learned from the Bible.

This says it better than I did:

2 Corinthians 5:8

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Egor, do you dream? If you do you already know that your conscious never sleeps. Even people in a

coma hear what is going on around them, which indicates that while our eyes close and our body rests in

what we call sleep, our consciousness never stops; indeed it is the engine that keeps us alive while our body rests.

It is my opinion that this consciousness will never shut off.

I think that when we die, our conscious (perhaps our spirit?) goes right into the very presence of God.

Now that is my opinion, and as such is not Biblical, but is derived on what I have learned from the Bible.

This says it better than I did:

2 Corinthians 5:8

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Amen~!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

Some say Christians only believe because they're afraid of nonexistence upon death. I don't believe that. I have no problem dying and going into oblivion. I've seen a lot of people die, and they didn't seem to care either. At the point of death all you want is for this life to end and to rest.

What is easy is to be an atheist.

As an atheist, especially when you first give into it, you lose all the pressure to be anything in this life. You don't have to worry about fulfilling a purpose. There are no existential crises anymore. And the weight of any morality other than your own is lifted right off your shoulders. The freedom is terrific. You can look around at all the people trying to become something and know that none of it matters. The President is the same as the immigrant leaf blower. As an atheist you get to be 100% selfish because loving your neighbor is something you can choose to do only if you want to do it. And, as an atheist, you get relief from one of my greatest fears--Judgment Day. You never have to be sorry for anything--ever.

I'm not afraid of oblivion. It's like Paul said, "Who will free me from this body of death?"

Why are you quoting the bible if you are an atheist? There is within each person a soul, and that soul cannot imagine that it cannot exist anymore at all. Just because some do not believe, doesn't mean the bible is a lie. Some people believe a cow is their ancestor. I know God is real for I feel Him with me, he comforts me. I don't want to free of God, he is my best friend.