Strader327

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone, I was curious if you all could help me out with this if you can. I've heard many pastors on television and elsewhere say that God can supernaturally comfort us in difficult times. And I've also am aware of the verses that specifically refer to the Holy Spirit as the "comforter".

So if we as believers are facing a difficult situation or have fears and doubts about God's love for us, if we ask Him, does God normally send some sort of supernatural sensation of comfort and love to us?

Now I know He certainly can if He wants to, but I'm mostly wondering if this is the norm for most believers and what He did in the lives of the apostles and early church followers immediately following the resurrection and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost?

And if not, then can a believer easily get comfort, love, joy and so on from just meditating on the current and future promises that God gives through the gospel ie meditating on the promise of being forgiven or on the promise of heaven?

Because I for one, have received such comfort from meditating on God's promises, but is there a way to receive it supernaturally in a uncontrolled sense? Because I imagine if God does such a thing, we wouldn't be able to control it since after all it's not being manufactured in our brains like simply meditating on God's promises would be, but it would be more raw, more real, and more fulfilling.

If any of you all have ever felt a supernatural rush of love and comfort from God just how do you get Him to do it? I ask because I've tried on several occasions and haven't received anything. I just don't know if I'm asking for the right thing or if I'm not asking Him in the right manner or if I just don't have enough faith to get Him to work.

But anyway if you all happen to know anything feel free to let me know. Thank you for your time. God bless.

Hi everyone, I was curious if you all could help me out with this if you can. I've heard many pastors on television and elsewhere say that God can supernaturally comfort us in difficult times. And I've also am aware of the verses that specifically refer to the Holy Spirit as the "comforter".

So if we as believers are facing a difficult situation or have fears and doubts about God's love for us, if we ask Him, does God normally send some sort of supernatural sensation of comfort and love to us?

Now I know He certainly can if He wants to, but I'm mostly wondering if this is the norm for most believers and what He did in the lives of the apostles and early church followers immediately following the resurrection and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost?

And if not, then can a believer easily get comfort, love, joy and so on from just meditating on the current and future promises that God gives through the gospel ie meditating on the promise of being forgiven or on the promise of heaven?

Because I for one, have received such comfort from meditating on God's promises, but is there a way to receive it supernaturally in a uncontrolled sense? Because I imagine if God does such a thing, we wouldn't be able to control it since after all it's not being manufactured in our brains like simply meditating on God's promises would be, but it would be more raw, more real, and more fulfilling.

If any of you all have ever felt a supernatural rush of love and comfort from God just how do you get Him to do it? I ask because I've tried on several occasions and haven't received anything. I just don't know if I'm asking for the right thing or if I'm not asking Him in the right manner or if I just don't have enough faith to get Him to work.

But anyway if you all happen to know anything feel free to let me know. Thank you for your time. God bless.

I'm not sure God's comfort is something we seek.

I suspect it is the product of loving intimacy with God based in study of his Word, prayer, obedience and loving service to others for his sake.

Very good point. I think that's much closer to the truth. The reason why I was still wondering about God sending "supernatural love and comfort" to people is mostly due to the "experiences" of many chrismatic believers. To me it appears doubtful that this is how God really works but at the same time I don't know for sure but if somehow God is doing something for these people and they are thus much closer to Him than believers like me (I'm a southern baptist ) than I certainly want to tap into that. But regardless this has been a issue that I've had a lot of confusion over for obvious reasons.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,322
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

You are in the last days my friend and many are saying much but the saying must be examined through the filter of His Word for substance approved or disapproved! We are clearly taught in Scripture that God is not bound in His Doing and the Personal way He deals with us it just that personal! Hence His Jealousy with each and every one of us as His Own Pleasure and Delight as He Enjoys us when we reflect the Glory of His Son within! Here is the center of what I am saying -> Our Father has revealed Himself to us by Spirit and has said not to lay our hearts upon this creation but wait upon the one coming for it will be Home... as we bear the obedience of this in living here we become alien of a sort and look for this better place through the lens of faith because it is the substance of our hope yet we have not seen it yet Heb 11:1! Who does not wish their children and loved ones to be safe? But safety lies within God not the arm of flesh for it is clear to see that One passes not away and one does! It is in this mode of understanding that we seek His comfort- it is one of Spirit not of corporeal... As I place (in obedience) my hope in His Spirit and promised outcome the nasty now and now has less and less effect upon me and more I can radiate The Glories of His Person within! In this Spirit comes the comfort so that it is enough to overcome the flesh and it's end! So are they offering comfort with the things of here which end or the comfort of Spirit and true Faith designed by God Himself as the Son gave living example the 3 1/2 years of ministry! This 'IS' the platform / foundation for life and Godliness in Him...

If you have correctly divided out that which is eternal from that which ends you should be made ready for witness that we under go >no loss due to His ability to keep< but all is only testing of the truth within us so that we may be found fully invested in Him and His Promises... such testing gives witness to us whether it is substanced or not in His Word or of this world... for the Godly will be enabled to lay down all that is of them self and hold only to what 'IS' Him! The comfort then becomes self evident to the one who passes through the fire of testing loosing nothing!

If you have called upon the The Lord Jesus to save you- you have already these things! If you are not experiencing them it is because you are in the flesh of old and not the Spirit of New... Where we are as Christian's is an unredeemed place with unredeemed people... when I am out and around people I am noticed just by my Being! I am noticed because I live in realities they can't even dream of and as I just walk in His Spirit and Love (His Love) flows out and they are overwhelmed by, they don't know what, but it attracts them and God's Favor rest upon me so that I am in nearly constant joy! Sorrows yes but not overwhelming so... they are for now, as I, the flower of grass so the sorrows even in this joy is found... I raise both my Spiritual hands toward Heaven and allow The Grip of My Father in Heaven be felt around me and It is enough come what may! Place me in a room with total despair and I will shine brightly cause I will have the joy of the substance of things hoped for! As I Spiritually feel his grip upon my being I will radiate that which is within to that which is without...

It seems you are seeking here confirmation of Spirit through flesh... perhaps the influence of these TV people? God has told us that this type of seeking is wrong

Matt 16:4

4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah." And He left them and departed.

NKJV

The simple question lies in the fact that God has not redeemed our bodies nor this world but are in fact at war with both... why would God then bring redeemed stuff through these lines? Better-> did not His Son come down from above and return? If we look in the wrong places we certainly will find the wrong things... Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Southern Baptist? How about a little southern comfort? I jest but only to reveal that which is true. We as believers of Gods word are informed that God designed wine with the purpose of uplifting those of heavy hearts and sorrow. He made it as a comforter that would cheer them. Not to be abused but to be enjoyed as a mercy in a perilous vanity of a world. But then we read that we are not to be drunk with wine wherein is excess but to be filled with the spirit. We are all made to drink into one spirit as Paul said. When we read about the fruit of the spirit we find things like love, joy, peace, gentleness, kindness, meekness, temperance, faith and patience. When one of us being a tree is filled with the Holy Spirit, these things are the fruits that are available to all of those we come into contact with.

I wake up every morning and pray to our Father that he might fill me with his Spirit. I ask to be empowered to persevere and have plenty of fruit available to those who I come in contact with during my day. I spend my time driving to work telling God about the things that I know about him and by the time I get to work I have already preached a sermon. But it all begins with my request for my Father to fill me. I want God the Father in me doing his good will. I want to abide in the Word of God and have the Word of God abiding in me as it has an awesome cleansing power and a richness that stabilizes and comforts me. Paul said I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. When he said Christ he speaks of the anointing of the Holy Spirit. In the Old Testament we see more prevalent cases of the Spirit of God coming upon someone and strengthening them. I long for and love to be filled with the Spirit of my Father. The Spirit that led Jesus through 3 1/2 years of ministry and trials. As Paul said, when I am weak I am strong that the power of the anointing might rest upon me.

When the brick and mortar temple was in Jerusalem and Jesus was still alive, there was a veil that separated the holiest of holies and no man could enter therein. When Jesus died God the Father caused an earthquake that rent the veil in two giving all access by faith into the holiest of holies where the shekinah glory of God was. The way into the holiest of holies was made known unto men. Diligently search yourself for sin and seek to have it removed from you through confession and cleansing of the blood of Christ as the sin that is within a man acts as a veil over his heart and he cannot gain entrance. Purify your heart and serve only God the Father through Jesus his Son and you will soon understand what it means to endure by seeing him who is invisible.

Peace and love on your journey with God our Father and Jesus his Son,

Gary

Southern Baptist? How about a little southern comfort? I jest but only to reveal that which is true. We as believers of Gods word are informed that God designed wine with the purpose of uplifting those of heavy hearts and sorrow. He made it as a comforter that would cheer them. Not to be abused but to be enjoyed as a mercy in a perilous vanity of a world. But then we read that we are not to be drunk with wine wherein is excess but to be filled with the spirit. We are all made to drink into one spirit as Paul said. When we read about the fruit of the spirit we find things like love, joy, peace, gentleness, kindness, meekness, temperance, faith and patience. When one of us being a tree is filled with the Holy Spirit, these things are the fruits that are available to all of those we come into contact with.

I wake up every morning and pray to our Father that he might fill me with his Spirit. I ask to be empowered to persevere and have plenty of fruit available to those who I come in contact with during my day. I spend my time driving to work telling God about the things that I know about him and by the time I get to work I have already preached a sermon. But it all begins with my request for my Father to fill me. I want God the Father in me doing his good will. I want to abide in the Word of God and have the Word of God abiding in me as it has an awesome cleansing power and a richness that stabilizes and comforts me. Paul said I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. When he said Christ he speaks of the anointing of the Holy Spirit. In the Old Testament we see more prevalent cases of the Spirit of God coming upon someone and strengthening them. I long for and love to be filled with the Spirit of my Father. The Spirit that led Jesus through 3 1/2 years of ministry and trials. As Paul said, when I am weak I am strong that the power of the anointing might rest upon me.

When the brick and mortar temple was in Jerusalem and Jesus was still alive, there was a veil that separated the holiest of holies and no man could enter therein. When Jesus died God the Father caused an earthquake that rent the veil in two giving all access by faith into the holiest of holies where the shekinah glory of God was. The way into the holiest of holies was made known unto men. Diligently search yourself for sin and seek to have it removed from you through confession and cleansing of the blood of Christ as the sin that is within a man acts as a veil over his heart and he cannot gain entrance. Purify your heart and serve only God the Father through Jesus his Son and you will soon understand what it means to endure by seeing him who is invisible.

Peace and love on your journey with God our Father and Jesus his Son,

Gary

Thank you all for your replies, but while searching around for a bit on the subject, I did come across this. http://timberlinebaptist.org/sermons/comfort.html

And from what I gathered, this really help a ton. And I think it's very biblical as well. I doubt hardly anyone will find any major issues with it.