• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1993

Jesus said:

...my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Matthew 11:30

However, many Christians seem to live their lives as if they are under a very heavy load. Why is that?

I think that the burden comes when we try to make ourselves into "good people"--to try to make ourselves worthy of our other Christian friends and above all, our calling. We forget that we in of ourselves are as filthy garments, that our best is not good enough. We will never, in of ourselves, be worthy of our calling. Our righteousness and worthiness is in Christ and in Christ alone. When we stop trying to make ourselves worthy and realize that we can do nothing for our own justification, we have crossed the line from bondage into freedom.

And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith...

Philippians 3:9

I am in no way implying that we should go and "live like the devil"; I'm simply saying that we must realize that our righteousness is in Christ and not in ourselves before we are able to attain any level of holiness.

What do you think?

• Group:  Advanced Member

...confessing your always broke will mean you will always be broke.

Aren't we all "broke" as far as having our own righteousness goes?

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Isaiah 64:6

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

Psalm 51:17 "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

Thats a big part of it. Let em know you love them were all we have here in this world.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Luke_9:62 Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

Out plowing can be easy or it can be hard. Sometimes we try to push the plow instead of following it.

And then there's this.....

Jesus said we are not to look back.

But I think we should be looking sideways from time to time.

Just to make sure we are plowing the right field... :cool2:

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

To properly understand what Jesus meant we need to consider the whole context.

Mat 11:25-30 ¶ At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and [he] to whomsoever the Son will reveal [him]. Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light.

As you can see Jesus is speaking from a position of Master/Servant relationship. The Father has delivered all things unto him. His yoke equates to what he would have you do, which is a light burden in comparison to other options available at the time. Consider the following:

Gal 6:1-5 ¶ Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For every man shall bear his own burden.

By bearing anothers burden we fulfill the law of Christ, loving our neighbor as ourselves. Christ bore our burden upon the tree and we should likewise bear one anothers burdens in this life and restore those who are fallen to a right relationship with God.

Mat 23:1-7 ¶ Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, [that] observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay [them] on men's shoulders; but they [themselves] will not move them with one of their fingers. But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

The scribes and Pharisees were binding heavy burdens upon men that carried their yoke. But Christ only gave us one burden to bear if we put his yoke upon us as Master.

Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Our burden is to reject the world and the sin of the world. To forgo the lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh and the pride of life and resist sin unto blood, even unto death if necessary. We are promised that we will never be tempted above that which we can handle, which I personally have found to be true. We are never asked to do anything to anyone other than to reprove, rebuke and exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. We are guaranteed to be persecuted by those who are of the flesh and told that our Father will chasten us because he loves us and he will scourge us as he does with every son he receives.

In the end this is actually the easier softer way. One could avoid all of this by fitting in, in the world and being a friend to the world but in the end the result is having been the enemy of God who is faced with the terror of the Lord at the judgement seat. I will place myself in the hands of the Lord now rather than later as everyone will ultimately face him.

Peace and Love, Hope, Honor and Strength to all you my brethren who love the Lord in Truth and are sharing the burden with me.

Gary

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

But I think we should be looking sideways from time to time.

Just to make sure we are plowing the right field... :cool2:

:D lol

@Gary Well said.

@BelieveinHim you make a good point all too often people ask halfheartedly.

@AlexanderJ were definitley all broke here but God will put the pieces together.

were definitley all broke here but God will put the pieces together

Will that happen in this life or in the next?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

were definitley all broke here but God will put the pieces together

Will that happen in this life or in the next?

Everything but the regeneration of our body can happen here in this life, up to and including restoration of the inner man that we might walk in a way that is perfectly pleasing unto God by following in the footsteps of our Lord via the power of the Spirit of God which we have and can be filled with. We have this treasure in earthen vessels but await the manifestation of the sons of God in new and improved bodies that have never had nor ever will have sin in them. Beautiful isn't it.

Gary