IGNORED

Highway to Heaven

Isaiah 35:8-10

A highway shall be there, and a road, And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, But it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, Shall not go astray. No lion shall be there, Nor shall any ravenous beast go up on it; It shall not be found there. But the redeemed shall walk there, And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, And come to Zion with singing, With everlasting joy on their heads. They shall obtain joy and gladness, And sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Today when we read "highway" we imagine a wide straight pavement with cars traveling at high speeds. But back then they didn't even have cars. And furthermore that analogy would be closer to the road that leads to destruction as Jesus wrote, "broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it." Matt 7:13 So what was understood by "highway"? It literally meant a "high" way. What was envisioned was a road which was high, a road of holiness, being near to God. The road of redemption, the highway to heaven, is a restricted road, being only for the redeemed, who have been ransomed through the blood of Christ. "For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all." 1Tim 2:5,6

What is the way to God?

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way? Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:5,6

There is some controversy as to how to translate the phrase found at the end of verse 8. In fact translations end up being somewhat contradictory. For is it referring to not going astray while travelling on it, or not travelling on it at all?

KJV "but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein."

NKJV "Whoever walks the road, although a fool, Shall not go astray."

LXXE "but the dispersed shall walk on it, and they shall not go astray."

NIV "wicked fools will not go about on it."

NASB "And fools will not wander on it."

I go with the Septuagint (LXX), which is the version quoted throughout the New Testament, and which on this verse is also confirmed by the King James versions. As such the idea is that those who are on this road will not go astray despite their own foolishness. In other words this is teaching Eternal Security. Once saved, always saved. Because once saved, despite one's folly, such a person will inevitably repent and not stray from the path altogether. Such is the natural behavior of God's sheep. "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand." John 10:27,28

With great relief we will enter the presence of God holy and blameless and as such we will be filled with joy. For the times of sorrow, sighing and suffering will have passed away. Reference.

Isaiah 36:4

The field commander said to them, "Tell Hezekiah, "`This is what the great king, the king of Assyria, says: On what are you basing this confidence of yours?

In accordance with his warnings in the Law of Moses (Deut 28:15+) the Lord had assigned Sennacherib king of Assyria to bring judgment upon the Northern kingdom of Israel. However in defiance Sennacherib determined to attack the Southern kingdom of Judah as well. (Typical of authorities forces themselves on others outside of their legitimate realm of authority)

Like Jesus being tempted by the devil in the wilderness so were the tauntings of this field commander to Judah and its king Hezekiah. Nonetheless they present questions to consider.What is implied in this first question is that the confidence Judah had was outstanding. So also we Christians should have such a hope and confidence that it would lead people to question us as well, as Peter writes, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." 1Peter 3:15 What would lead people to ask us such a question? Confidence is really revealed under duress such as the context in which Peter was writing and such as the situation we see here in Isaiah in which this small nation of Judah is under attack by a much larger and powerful nation. And thus Christians under persecution and tribulation have a natural avenue for evangelism by just holding on to their confidence, as the writer of Hebrews says, "Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated. You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions. So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded."Heb 33-35 And "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain." John 12:24

What is the basis of our confidence or our assurance of salvation? It is based firstly upon God's Word, that is his promise of salvation. But such a promise is not unconditional God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness." 2Tim 2:19 If we are His then we are secure. We become His through faith in Christ, through whom we have forgiveness of sins, but also through whom we have sanctification. He saved us from our sins and is saving us from our innate sinfulness. Thus the effect of salvation should be evident in our lives. "We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands." 1John 2:3 And "This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother." 1John 3:10 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock." Matthew 7:24 "and that rock was Christ." 1Cor 10:4 And "no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ." 1Cor 3:11

We will see from the reaction of Hezekiah and his people that they were indeed putting their confidence in the Lord. In fact it's not so important to God all the troubles we go through, but rather how we react to them. Reference.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,605
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, Parker1.

Isaiah 35:8-10

A highway shall be there, and a road, And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, But it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, Shall not go astray. No lion shall be there, Nor shall any ravenous beast go up on it; It shall not be found there. But the redeemed shall walk there, And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, And come to Zion with singing, With everlasting joy on their heads. They shall obtain joy and gladness, And sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Today when we read "highway" we imagine a wide straight pavement with cars traveling at high speeds. But back then they didn't even have cars. And furthermore that analogy would be closer to the road that leads to destruction as Jesus wrote, "broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it." Matt 7:13 So what was understood by "highway"? It literally meant a "high" way. What was envisioned was a road which was high, a road of holiness, being near to God. The road of redemption, the highway to heaven, is a restricted road, being only for the redeemed, who have been ransomed through the blood of Christ. "For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all." 1Tim 2:5,6

What is the way to God?

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way? Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:5,6

There is some controversy as to how to translate the phrase found at the end of verse 8. In fact translations end up being somewhat contradictory. For is it referring to not going astray while travelling on it, or not travelling on it at all?

KJV "but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein."

NKJV "Whoever walks the road, although a fool, Shall not go astray."

LXXE "but the dispersed shall walk on it, and they shall not go astray."

NIV "wicked fools will not go about on it."

NASB "And fools will not wander on it."

I go with the Septuagint (LXX), which is the version quoted throughout the New Testament, and which on this verse is also confirmed by the King James versions. As such the idea is that those who are on this road will not go astray despite their own foolishness. In other words this is teaching Eternal Security. Once saved, always saved. Because once saved, despite one's folly, such a person will inevitably repent and not stray from the path altogether. Such is the natural behavior of God's sheep. "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand." John 10:27,28

With great relief we will enter the presence of God holy and blameless and as such we will be filled with joy. For the times of sorrow, sighing and suffering will have passed away. Reference.

Have you ever considered that this might be a LITERAL highway that will be constructed in the near future? Compare it to a few chapters earlier:

Isaiah 19:1-25

1 This is a prophecy about Egypt:

Look! Adonai is riding a swift cloud,

on his way to Egypt.

Before him Egypt’s idols tremble,

Egypt’s courage melts within them.

2 “I will incite Egypt against Egypt,

brother will fight against brother,

friend against friend, city against city,

kingdom against kingdom.

3 The courage of Egypt will ebb away within it,

I will reduce its counsel to confusion.

They will consult idols and mediums,

ghosts and spirits.

4 I will hand over the Egyptians to a cruel master.

A harsh king will rule them,”

says the Lord, Adonai-Tzva’ot.

5 The water will ebb from the sea,

the river will be drained dry.

6 The rivers will become foul,

the canals of Egypt’s Nile will dwindle and dry up,

the reeds and rushes will wither.

7 The river-plants on the banks of the Nile

and everything sown near the Nile

will dry up, blow away and be no more.

8 Fishermen too will lament,

all who cast hooks in the Nile will mourn,

those who spread nets on the water lose heart.

9 The linen-workers will be in despair,

along with the weavers of white cotton;

10 the spinners will be crushed,

the hired workers dejected.

11 The princes of Tzo‘an are utter fools,

Pharaoh’s wisest counselors give stupid advice.

How can you say to Pharaoh,

“I’m a sage, descended from kings of old.”

12 Where are they, then, those sages of yours?

Let them tell you, so all can know

what Adonai-Tzva’ot has planned against Egypt!

13 The princes of Tzo‘an have been fooled,

the princes of Nof have been duped,

Egypt’s clan chiefs have led her astray.

14 Adonai has mixed up their minds

with a spirit that distorts judgment,

so they make Egypt stagger in whatever she does,

like a drunk staggering in his vomit.

15 Nobody in Egypt

will find work to do —

neither head nor tail,

neither [tall] palm frond nor [lowly] reed.

16 On that day Egypt will be like women trembling with fear, because Adonai-Tzva’ot is shaking his fist at them. 17 Just mentioning the land of Y’hudah to the Egyptians will throw them into panic; they will be afraid because of what Adonai-Tzva’ot has planned for them.

18 On that day there will be five cities in the land of Egypt that speak the language of Kena‘an and swear loyalty to Adonai-Tzva’ot; one of them will be called the City of Destruction.

19 On that day there will be an altar to Adonai in the middle of the land of Egypt, as well as a standing-stone for Adonai at its border. 20 It will be a sign and witness to Adonai-Tzva’ot in the land of Egypt; so that when they cry out to Adonai for help because of the oppressors, he will send them a savior (Yeshua`) to defend and rescue them.

21 Adonai will make himself known to Egypt;

on that day, the Egyptians will know Adonai.

They will worship him with sacrifices and offerings,

they will make vows to Adonai and keep them.

22 Yet Adonai will strike Egypt, both striking and healing,

so they will return to Adonai.

He will listen to their prayers,

and he will heal them.

23 On that day there will be a highway

from Egypt to Ashur.

Ashur will come to Egypt and Egypt to Ashur,

and Egypt will worship with Ashur.

24 On that day Isra’el will be a third partner

with Egypt and Ashur, a blessing here on earth;

25 for Adonai-Tzva’ot has blessed him:

“Blessed be Egypt my people,