IGNORED

Pride vs. Brokenness

Guest Called

Next, I want to look at repentance and how proud people and broken people approach it in two very different ways. Please forgive the length. ;)

Proud People

- Tend to deal in generalities when confessing sin

- Concerned about the consequences of their sin

- Remorseful over their sin, sorry that they got found out or caught

Broken People

- Able to acknowledge specifics when confessing their sin

- Grieved over the cause, the root of their sin

- Truly, genuinely repentant over their sin, evidenced in the fact that they forsake

that sin

First let

Guest antitox

I see brokenness as more rounded element in a person's life rather than just grief or repentance. People who have a broken spirit have these things evident in their lives:

1. They are vulnerable.

2. They are meek.

3. They obey God.

4. They do not have pride.

5. They are teachable.

These are just basics about them, but the word we used often about broken people is "seasoned" because they've been through enough in life that they actually learn to walk in love with their fellow man as a normal existence (which is what God wants). To me, that is significant because there are certain aspects about people that life has to "burn in" to them over time to acheive that desired result. The Lord uses difficulties in this life to get us there. One lady asked me "why do we have to suffer?" I said, "because if we didn't, we would all grow cold."

A broken vessel leaks out what's inside of it. Unless we are broken, the things God has put within can't get out to anyone else.

Edited by antitox

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

A broken vessel leaks out what's inside of it. Unless we are broken, the things God has put within can't get out to anyone else.

So that is reason! Tis so very true, though, as we can help others going through things because of the things we have gone through, however different......

Edited by amazedbyhislove

Guest Thomas I believe
I see brokenness as more rounded element in a person's life rather than just grief or repentance. People who have a broken spirit have these things evident in their lives:

1. They are vulnerable.

2. They are meek.

3. They obey God.

4. They do not have pride.

5. They are teachable.

These are just basics about them, but the word we used often about broken people is "seasoned" because they've been through enough in life that they actually learn to walk in love with their fellow man as a normal existence (which is what God wants). To me, that is significant because there are certain aspects about people that life has to "burn in" to them over time to acheive that desired result. The Lord uses difficulties in this life to get us there. One lady asked me "why do we have to suffer?" I said, "because if we didn't, we would all grow cold."

Antitox, ;)

In His Peace, Michael :dove

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to post in this study as much as I would like too. I have been busy with work and other responsibilities. Hopefully I will be able to post a little more in the next few weeks. However, I do want to share something this morning.

Proud People

- Compare themselves with others and feel worthy of honor

Broken People

- Compare themselves to the holiness of God and feel a desperate need for His mercy.

Too often we are quick to compare ourselves to others and that makes us feel like we are hitting the mark when in reality we fall so short! I want to look at the example of Paul. Paul is one of the greatest men in the Bible. He wrote most of the New Testament and was chosen by God to carry the Good News to the Gentiles. Paul had reason to boast, but let's look at Paul's attitude.

1 Timothy 1:14-16

14 Oh, how kind and gracious the Lord was! He filled me completely with faith and the love of Christ Jesus.

15 This is a true saying, and everyone should believe it: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--and I was the worst of them all. 16 But that is why God had mercy on me, so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life.

2 Corinthians 10:12

12 Oh, don't worry; I wouldn't dare say that I am as wonderful as these other men who tell you how important they are! But they are only comparing themselves with each other, and measuring themselves by themselves. What foolishness!

Paul could have compared himself to others. He had to deal with immoral Christians and lukewarm churches. Divisions and Disorder. He could have thought quite highly of himself when comparing himself to the people under his authority, but we see in the above scripture that Paul considered himself the worst of sinners. He saw what he was when compared to God's holiness. He recognized that he was a sinner in desperate need of God's mercy.

How do we see ourselves? Are we really seeing ourselves for what we are? When we compare our righteousness to others we often come out on top, but when we compare our righteousness to God's we see it is nothing but filthy rags. Worthless and useless. God's holiness should be our gauge to measure where we stand. He alone is Worthy. He is called Holy and Righteous! :blink:

God Bless,

Debbie

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Compare themselves to the holiness of God and feel a desperate need for His mercy.

This is how we should be evaluating ourselves...in light of God's righteousness. What it all boils down to is that when we look at the Lord in all His perfection, we see how much we fall short. We should never consider ourselves above others under any circumstances, we are all sinners in need of God's grace. (talk about a piece of humble pie) :blink:

Compare themselves to the holiness of God and feel a desperate need for His mercy.

This is how we should be evaluating ourselves...in light of God's righteousness. What it all boils down to is that when we look at the Lord in all His perfection, we see how much we fall short. We should never consider ourselves above others under any circumstances, we are all sinners in need of God's grace. (talk about a piece of humble pie) :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah and that humble pie leaves a horrible aftertaste, but it sure is good for us! :laugh:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

One of the biggest problems in the church today is that it is filled with puffed up Christians.  Self-righteousness is rampant.  We are too proud to rely on God, instead we rely on our own intellect.  However, God is looking for people with a broken spirit. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you could even call these people Christians. People that don't rely on God are not Christians in my book and you are right, these are the kind of people in churches today. People rely on books and principles and men and not on God. What is needed is that people drop to their knees and beg God to show them how the Holy Spirit can lead them.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/15/1982

Hey, I have been looking for a foum like this for awhile, great site.

I have to say that I am lucky enough to have found good 'ole country' churches, even in D.C. where I am stationed in the Navy we have been able to find a church that seems to have a majority of 'humble,' instead of 'pridefull,' members. Its so much easier for people to keep coming to church with no 'pride-bred,' my story is better competition.

crabs

and for explanation, my last name is Crabtree, and thats what they call my in the Navy, no offense, :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Prideful people operate in unbelief,which is a precursor for sin.

Being selfless is a good thing but there are instances when your being selfless for someone else w/ evil motives it turns out bad.

The path to take before making the decision to be selfless is will it be edifying to the Lord or assisting in someones sinful ways.