ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Psa 18:16 He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters.

2Sa 22:17 He sent from above, he took me; he drew me out of many waters;

He sent from above - Either his hand, as in Psalm 144:7; he exerted and displayed his mighty power in raising Christ from the dead; or he sent help from his sanctuary; as in Psalm 20:2; and helped and strengthened him in a day of salvation; or when he wrought out the salvation of his people; or "he sent his word," as in Psalm 107:20; his word of command, to take up his life again, as he had given it to lay it down, John 10:18.

He sent from above - The Lord stretched His hand from the height into the deep abysses, which had been uncovered through the threatening of the wrath of God, and drew out the sinking man. As Moses was taken out of the waters of the Nile, so David was taken out of great (many) waters.

He took me - He took hold on me; he rescued me.

he drew me out of many waters - This is said either in allusion to Moses, who had his name from his being drawn out of the water, Exodus 2:10; and who was an eminent type of Christ; and this is the only place where the Hebrew word is made use of from whence he had his name; or else to a man plunged in water ready to be drowned; see Psalm 69:1. By these "many waters" may be meant the many afflictions, sorrows, and sufferings from which Christ was freed, when raised from the dead, and highly exalted and crowned with glory and honor.

He drew me out of many waters - Waters are often expressive of calamity and trouble, Psa_46:3; Psa_69:1; Psa_73:10; Psa_124:4-5. The meaning here is, that God had rescued him out of the many troubles and dangers that encompassed him, as if he had fallen into the sea and was in danger of perishing.

He drew me out of many waters - The waters thus poured out were sweeping the people away; but God, by a miraculous interference, sent and drew David out. Sometimes waters are used to denote multitudes of people; and here the word may have that reference; multitudes were gathered together against David, but God delivered him from them all.

Psa 18:17 He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me.

2Sa 22:18 He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them that hated me: for they were too strong for me.

He delivered me from my strong enemy - Which, as it may respect David, may be understood of Goliath the Philistine champion, who was a man of war from his youth; or Saul, king of Israel; and, as it may respect David's antitype - Christ - may design either the chief priests, Scribes, and Pharisees, who were men of power and influence; or more especially Satan, the strong man armed, with all his principalities and powers; or, likewise death, the last enemy, from whose pains and cords he was loosed when raised from the dead, and when he was delivered from every other strong enemy;

from them which hated me - from the old serpent the devil, between whom and him there has been a lasting enmity; and from the world, the Pharisees, who bore an implacable hatred to Christ.

for they were too strong for me - as Goliath and Saul were too strong for David of himself, so Christ's enemies were too strong for him; not as God, for he is the mighty God, the Almighty, and stronger than the strong man armed, but as man; for in his human nature he had a sinless weakness, which showed itself in his agonies in the garden; or a natural weakness, through which he was crucified; and this weak nature of Christ Satan attacked, and got an advantage over, and brought it to the dust of death, which is meant by his bruising his heel, though by it he got a broken head. But though Christ's enemies were too strong for him, considered merely as man, they not being, at least many of them, flesh and blood, but principalities and powers; yet being helped by his Father, and supported by his divine nature, he overcame them, and was delivered from them.

Psa 18:18 They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay.

2Sa 22:19 They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay.

They prevented me - They anticipated me, or went before me. The idea here is that his enemies came before him, or intercepted his way. They were in his path, ready to destroy him.

They prevented me in the day of my calamity - Referring to the times of his distress in the garden and upon the cross; the time of his sufferings and death.

But the Lord was my stay - on whom he leaned, relied, and depended, believing he would help him; and by whom he was supported and upheld, Isaiah 42:1. His support, or prop. That is, the Lord upheld him, and kept him from falling.

Psa 18:19 He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me.

2Sa 22:20 He brought me forth also into a large place: he delivered me, because he delighted in me.

He brought me forth also into a large place - Instead of being hemmed in by enemies He enabled me to clear the country of my foes, who had before cooped me up in holes and corners. Out of my straits and difficulties, into a state of freedom and comfort. So he ascribes all his mercies to God's good pleasure, as the first spring of them. This appears to be the allusion.

He brought me forth also into a large place - Into heaven, a place of the glorious liberty of Christ, after his captivity to death and the grave, whither he ascended leading captivity captive, and of the children of God; and a spacious place, where there is room enough for Christ and all his people; here he now is, and will remain till his second coming.

Because he delighted in me - God delivered David from all his enemies, because he was a man after his own heart, in whom he delighted; not for any merit and worthiness in him, but of his good will and pleasure: he delivered Christ because he was his elect, in whom his soul delighted; and who was daily his delight, rejoicing in his presence before the world was: and he delivers his church and people, in whom is his delight, Isaiah 62:4 You will no more be called Forsaken; nor will your land any more be called Desolate; but you will be called My Delight is in her, and your land, Married; for the LORD delights in you, And your land Married. the Father delighted in them, and therefore chose them to salvation; the Son delighted in them, and gave himself for them, and ransomed them out of the hands of him that is stronger than they; the Holy Spirit delighted in them, and therefore regenerates, renews, and sanctifies them, and seals them up unto the day of redemption.

Because he delighted in me - He saw that my cause was just, and he had favor toward me.

Psa 18:20 The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me.

2Sa 22:21 The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness: according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me.

The Lord rewarded me - David proceeds to give the reasons why God had so marvelously interposed in his behalf.

The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness - The righteousness and cleanness of hands, i.e., the innocence, which David attributed to himself, were not perfect righteousness or holiness before God, but the righteousness of his endeavors and deeds as contrasted with the unrighteousness and wickedness of his adversaries and pursuers, and consisted in the fact that he endeavored earnestly and sincerely to walk in the ways of God and to keep the divine commandments.

The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness - Which, if applied to David, cannot be understood of his own personal righteousness, or of works of righteousness done by him, for these merit nothing at the hand of God; no reward, in strict justice, is due to them, or given to them: a man's own righteousness is imperfect, and by the law of God is not accounted a righteousness. It can be understood of the righteousness of Christ, which he, as Mediator, has wrought out for his people; this is perfect, pure, and spotless. Now, according to this righteousness, Christ in strict justice has been rewarded in his own person; as he had the work of man's redemption assigned him, and he agreed to do it, he had a reward promised him, and which he claimed, when he had glorified his Father and finished his work; and which he received when he was set down at the right hand of God, crowned with glory and honor, in consequence of his obedience, sufferings, and death; and he is rewarded in his members according to his righteousness, they being justified by it, and made heirs of eternal life on account of it, and are or will be glorified with him for evermore;

according to my righteousness - Those that forsake the ways of the Lord, depart from their God. David kept his eye upon the rule of God's commands. When he sinned, he was repentant. Those who resist God, and walk contrary to him, shall find that he will walk contrary to them, Lev_26:21-24.

Psa 18:21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God.

2Sa 22:22 For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God.

For I have kept the ways of the Lord - in strict justice, the words better agree with Christ, who kept the law of God perfectly, did his will completely; he came from heaven to do it; it was his meat and drink to accomplish it; and he always did the things which pleased his father, wherefore he rewarded him;

have not wickedly departed from my God - it is right and best to understand this of Christ, who never was guilty of sin, nor committed any wickedness in departing from God in the least.

Psa 18:22 For all his judgments were before me, and I did not put away his statutes from me.

2Sa 22:23 For all his judgments were before me: and as for his statutes, I did not depart from them.

For all his judgments - All his statutes, ordinances, laws. The word judgment is commonly used in this sense in the Scriptures, as referring to that which God has judged or determined to be right.

For all his judgments were before me - That is, the precepts of the law of God, which David had a respect unto, loved, took delight and pleasure in, and so had them all in his sight, and made them the rule of his actions; and the law of God is delighted in by regenerate persons, after the inward man; and though it is abolished as a covenant of works, it is a rule of walk and conversation to the saints; This in the highest and fullest sense was done by Christ, who was made under the law, in whose heart it was, and who came to fulfill it, and has completely fulfilled it;

Were before me - That is, I acted in view of them, or as having them to guide me. They were constantly before my eyes, and I regulated my conduct in accordance with their requirements.

And I did not put away his statutes from me - I did not reject them as the guide of my conduct.

I did not put away his statutes from me - this may have respect to the ceremonial law, and the ordinances of it, which David abode by, very strictly observed, renewed, and put in order; and which Christ, his antitype, never departed from, but conformed unto throughout the whole of his life; witness his circumcision, keeping of the passover, attendance on the synagogue and temple worship; nor did he put them away until they had their full accomplishment in him.

Psa 18:23 I was also upright before him, and I kept myself from mine iniquity.

2Sa 22:24 I was also upright before him, and have kept myself from mine iniquity.

I was also upright before him - The meaning is that he was upright in his sight. The word rendered upright is the same which in Job_1:1 is rendered perfect.

I was also upright - The times in which David was most afflicted were the times of his greatest uprightness. Adversity was always to him a time of spiritual prosperity.

I was also upright before him - In heart and conversation, being sincere and faithful; so David was in the sight of God; but this is much more true of Christ, in whom there was no unrighteousness nor guile, neither in his heart, nor in his lips; he was of perfect integrity, and faithful in all things to him that appointed him;

I kept myself from mine iniquity - From the iniquity to which I was prone or inclined. This is an acknowledgment that he was prone to sin, or that if he had acted out his natural character he would have indulged in sin - perhaps such sins as had been charged upon him. But he here says that, with this natural proneness to sin, he had restrained himself, and had not been deserving of the treatment which he had received. This is one of those incidental remarks which often occur in the Scriptures which recognize the doctrine of depravity, or the fact that the heart, even when most restrained, is by nature inclined to sin. It is, however, painfully certain that at some periods of his life - as in the matter of Uriah - he did give indulgence to some of the most corrupt inclinations of the human heart, and that, in acting out these corrupt propensities, he was guilty of crimes which have forever dimmed the luster of his name and stained his memory. These painful facts, however, are not inconsistent with the statement that in his general character he did restrain these corrupt propensities, and did “keep himself from his iniquity” So, in the review of our own lives, if we are truly the friends of God, while we may be painfully conscious that we have often given indulgence to the corrupt propensities of our natures - over which, if we are truly the children of God, we shall have repented - we may still find evidence that, as the great and habitual rule of life, we have restrained those passions, and have “kept ourselves” from the particular forms of sin to which our hearts were prone.

Psa 18:24 Therefore hath the LORD recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight.

2Sa 22:25 Therefore the LORD hath recompensed me according to my righteousness; according to my cleanness in his eye sight.

According to my righteousness - As if I were righteous; or, his acts of intervention have been such as are appropriate to a righteous life. David does not say that it was on account of his righteousness as if he had merited the favor of God, but that the interpositions in his behalf had been such as to show that God regarded him as righteous.

Therefore hath the Lord recompensed me according to my righteousness - Having proved and supported this proposition by the above reasons, it is repeated, for confirmation's sake; The motive for deliverance, which was expounded in 2Sa_22:21-24, is summed up briefly in 2Sa_22:25; and then in 2Sa_22:26 and 2Sa_22:27 it is carried back to the general truth, that the conduct of God towards men is regulated according to the conduct of men towards God.

the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight - this phrase, "in his eyesight," is here added, to show that the righteousness of Christ was clean, pure, and spotless in the sight of God; in the eye of divine justice: hence those that are clothed with it are holy and unblamable, and irreprovable in his sight, Colossians 1:22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy and without blemish, and without charge in His sight,

Psa 18:25 With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright;

2Sa 22:26 With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful, and with the upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright.

With the merciful thou wilt show thyself merciful - Matthew 5:7 Blessed are the merciful! For they shall obtain mercy. This may be applied to Christ, all whose ways are mercy and truth;

With the merciful - Thou wilt deal with him according to his character. As he is faithful and just, so will he find that he has to do with a God who is faithful and just. From the particular statement respecting the divine dealings with himself David now passes to a general statement (suggested by what God had done for him) in regard to the general principles of the divine administration. That general statement is, that God deals with men according to their character; or, that he will adapt his providential dealings to the conduct of men. They will find him to be such toward them as they have shown themselves to be toward him. The word merciful refers to one who is disposed to show kindness or compassion to those who are guilty, or to those who injure or wrong us.

Thou wilt show thyself merciful - It is in reference to this that our Lord teaches us to pray: “Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us.” Mat_6:12. And in accordance also with this he said, “For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: but if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses,” Mat_6:14-15. If we act feelingly and mercifully towards our fellow creatures, God will act tenderly and compassionately towards us. The merciful, the upright, and the pure, will ever have the God of mercy, uprightness, and purity, to defend and support them.

With an upright man - This may also be interpreted of Christ, who is in the highest and fullest sense perfect, upright, and sincere, and faithful to him that appointed him; and as he has been faithful in all his covenant engagements with his Father, so his Father has been faithful to him in making good all he promised him; both with respect to his own glory, and the happiness of his people.

With an upright man - The idea is that of a man who is consistent, or whose character is complete in all its parts.

Psa 18:26 With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward.

2Sa 22:27 With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself unsavoury.

With the pure - Those who are pure in their thoughts, their motives, their conduct. Free from the least mixture or appearance of unrighteousness, or unfaithfulness.

Thou wilt show thyself pure - They will find that they have to deal with a God who is himself pure; who loves purity, and who will accompany it with appropriate rewards wherever it is found.

And with the froward - The word used here means properly perverse; a man of a perverse and wicked mind. It would be applicable to a man who perverts or wrests the words of others from their true meaning; who prevaricates or is deceitful in his own conduct; who is not straightforward in his dealings; who takes advantage of circumstances to impose on others, and to promote his own ends; who is sour, harsh, crabbed, unaccommodating, unyielding, unkind.

Thou wilt show thyself froward - In the corresponding place in 2Sa_22:27 it is rendered, “Thou wilt show thyself unsavory;” though the same word is used in the original. It cannot mean here that God would assume such a character, or that he would be crooked, crafty, perverse in his dealings with men, for no one can suppose that David meant to ascribe such a character to God; but the meaning plainly is, that God would deal with the man referred to according to his real character: instead of finding that God would deal with them as if they were pure, and righteous, and merciful, such men would find that he deals with them as they are - as perverse, crooked, wicked. Leviticus 26:27-28 And if you will not for all of this listen to Me, but will walk contrary to Me, then I will walk contrary to you also in fury. And I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.

With the pure thou wilt show thyself pure - None of Adam's posterity are pure by nature; they are all defiled with sin; and though some are pure in their own eyes, they are far from being cleansed from their filthiness; such only are pure who are sanctified by the Spirit of God, have clean hearts created in them, and whose hearts are purified by faith in the blood of Christ; who are justified by Christ's righteousness, and are washed from their sins in his blood.

With the pure thou wilt show thyself pure - this may likewise be understood of Christ, who, in his human nature, is pure from all sin. He indeed took upon him the sins of his people, and bore them, and made atonement for them, and brought in everlasting righteousness; which being done, God has showed himself pure to him, by justifying, acquitting, and discharging him from all such sins; by accepting his righteousness, and imputing it to those for whom he wrought it;

Psa 18:27 For thou wilt save the afflicted people; but wilt bring down high looks.

2Sa 22:28 And the afflicted people thou wilt save: but thine eyes are upon the haughty, that thou mayest bring them down.

For thou wilt save the afflicted people - From the particular tokens of divine favor toward himself in affliction and trouble, David now draws the general inference that this was the character of God, and that others in affliction might hope for his interposition as he had done.

For thou wilt save the afflicted people - As the people of God commonly are; they are afflicted with sin, and the corruption of their own hearts, and with Satan and his temptations, and with the world, its reproaches, and persecutions; but God in his own time saves them out of them, if not here, yet hereafter.

But wilt bring down high looks - or proud men, whom God humbles; these he abhors, resists, sets himself against, scatters and destroys. Another general inference probably derived from the dealings of God with the proud and haughty foes of David. As God had humbled them, so he infers that he would deal with others in the same way. “High looks” are indicative of pride and haughtiness.

Psa 18:28 For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.

2Sa 22:29 For thou art my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness.

For thou wilt light my candle - For He was his lamp. He had lifted him out of a condition of depression and contempt into one of glory and honor, and would still further enlighten his darkness. This may either design outward prosperity, and the flourishing condition of David's kingdom; or internal spiritual light, and an increase of it, by giving fresh supplies of the oil of grace, to cause the lamp to burn more clearly; or rather the prosperous estate of Christ's kingdom; and may be the same with the lamp ordained for the Messiah.

For thou wilt light my candle - The word translated candle means lamp which best expresses the idea. In the Scriptures light is an image of prosperity, success, happiness, holiness, as darkness is the image of the opposite. The meaning here is, that David felt assured that God would give him prosperity, as if his lamp were kept constantly burning in his dwelling. To give one light is to make prosperous (Job_18:5, Job_18:6; Job_21:17).

For thou wilt light my candle - Thou wilt restore me to prosperity, and give me a happy issue out of all my afflictions. By the lamp of David the Messiah may be meant: thou wilt not suffer my family to become extinct, nor the kingdom which thou hast promised me utterly to fail.

For thou wilt light my candle - The lamp is an image of life, which as it were burns on and on, including the idea of prosperity and high rank; it is the usual figurative word for the continuance of the house of David, 1Ki_11:36, and frequently David's life and dominion, as the covenant king, is the lamp which God's favor has lighted for the well-being of Israel, and His power will not allow this lamp (2Sa_21:17) to be quenched.

The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness - Will shed light on my path, which would otherwise be dark: will impart light to my understanding; will put peace and joy in my heart; will crown me with his favor.

The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness – This is true of Christ, not only of the prosperity of his kingdom and interest, but of him personally; who though, when on the cross, was in darkness of soul, being forsaken by his God; yet, when raised from the dead, he was received up to heaven, and set down at the right hand of God, and was made full of joy with his countenance, Acts 2:28.

Psa 18:29 For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.

2Sa 22:30 For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall.

For by thee I have run through a troop - The word troop here refers to bands of soldiers, or hosts of enemies. The word rendered run through means properly to run; and then, as here, to run or rush upon in a hostile sense; to rush with violence upon one. The idea here is that he had been enabled to rush with violence upon his armed opposers; to overcome them, and to secure a victory. The allusion is to the wars in which he had been engaged.

Have I leaped over a wall - I have been able to scale the walls of an enemy, and to secure a victory. He refers to his successful attacks on the fortified towns of his enemies. The general idea is, that all his victories were to be traced to God.

Psa 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

2Sa 22:31 As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.

God, his way is perfect - His conduct is like his nature, absolutely pure.

The word of the Lord is tried - The idea is, that his word had been tested as silver or any other metal is in the fire. It has been abundantly tested or tried, and it still stands. It has stood all tests; and has never failed those who pleaded it before its author. It has been tested by the friends of God, and has been found to be all that it promised to be for support and consolation in trial.

He is a buckler - Or, a shield, for so the original word means. A sure protection to every simple believing soul.

Psa 18:31 For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?

2Sa 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

For who is God save the Lord - The idea is, that no other being has evinced the power, the wisdom, and the goodness which properly belong to the true God; or, that the things which are implied in the true nature of God are found in no other being. None is worthy of adoration but the self-existent, eternal, infinitely perfect, and all-merciful Being.

Or who is a rock save our God - There is no one who can furnish such safety or defense; no one under whose protection we can be secure in danger

Psa 18:32 It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.

2Sa 22:33 God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.

It is God that girdeth me with strength - Who gives me strength. The girdle was a necessary part of their dress; it strengthened and supported the loins; served to confine the garments close to the body; and in it they tucked them up when journeying. The strength of God was to his soul what the girdle was to the body. The girdle was also an ornamental part of the dress, and from it the sword was suspended.

And maketh my way perfect - He directs me so that I do not go astray; he blesses me in my undertakings; and by him the issue of my labors is crowned with prosperity. Gives me complete success in my undertakings; or, enables me so to carry them out that none of them fail.

and maketh my way perfect - or safe, or prosperous. God removed every impediment and obstacle out of his way, and made it plain and easy, and gave him victory over his enemies; this has been verified in Christ, who has conquered sin, Satan, the world, death, and the grave: for this is not to be understood of the way and course of David's life and conversation, which was not perfect and unspotted, but had many blemishes and imperfections in it, which he often owns, confesses, and bewails.

Psa 18:33 He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.

2Sa 22:34 He maketh my feet like hinds' feet: and setteth me upon my high places.

He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet - The hind is the female deer, remarkable for fleetness or swiftness. The meaning here is, that God had made him alert or active, enabling him to pursue a flying enemy, or to escape from a swift-running foe.

And setteth me upon my high places - places of safety or refuge. In allusion to the hinds, antelopes, mountain goats, etc., which frequented such places, and in which they found both food and safety. God frequently preserved the life of David by means of these. The idea is, that God had given him security, or had rendered him safe from danger.

And setteth me upon my high places - Confirms me in that high estate into which he hath advanced me.In a spiritual sense, may design the everlasting love of God, the covenant of grace, its blessings and promises; and Christ himself, with the fullness of grace in him, on which believers may be said to be set, when their faith is directed to them, and they live and dwell upon them. The words were fulfilled in Christ, when God highly exalted him at his right hand, and set him above all principalities and powers, and made him higher than the heavens.

Psa 18:34 He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

2Sa 22:35 He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

He teacheth my hands to war - The skill which David had in the use of the bow, the sword, or the spear - all of which depends on the hands - he ascribes entirely to God.

He teacheth my hands to war - From whence it appears, that war, in some cases, is lawful. All that spiritual skill is also from God, in making use of the whole armor of God against every enemy, sin, Satan, and the world; and even the wisdom and skill, counsel and instruction, which Christ as man and Mediator had, when it was the hour and power of darkness; when he was engaged with principalities and powers, and got the victory over them, were from the Lord.

So that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms - This is mentioned as an instance of extraordinary strength, as if he were able to bend a bow made of metal. The original word rendered steel means properly brass. The method of making brass out of copper was known at a very early period of the world; and the ancients had the art of hardening it, so as to work it into the most efficient swords. From his own account David was swift, courageous, and strong.

Psa 18:35 Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.

2Sa 22:36 Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy gentleness hath made me great.

The shield of thy salvation - In all battles and dangers God defended him. He was constantly safe because he possessed the salvation of God. Everywhere God protected him.

Thou hast given me the shield of thy salvation - Meaning either temporal salvation, which was a shield to him when he had no outward one, as when he fought with Goliath; and was what preserved him in all his battles at other times: or spiritual salvation, which is of the Lord, and in which his glory is concerned; the words may be applied to Christ, who, though he was not saved from dying, yet was preserved in the day of salvation, and was not suffered to see corruption in the grave.

And thy right hand hath holden me up - He has sustained him when in danger of failing, as if He had held him with His own hand. In a spiritual sense, Jesus the Messiah holds him up. References to the right hand or arm in the Old Testament frequently are Messianic references. Compare to Isaiah 53:1 Who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? Psalm 20:6 Now I know that the Lord saves His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven With the saving strength of His right hand.

And thy gentleness hath made me great - The word here rendered gentleness, evidently means here favor, goodness, kindness. It commonly means humility, modesty, as applied to men; as applied to God, it means mildness, clemency, favor. The idea is, that God had dealt with him in gentleness, kindness, clemency, and that to this fact alone he owed all his prosperity and success in life. It was not by any claim which he had on God; it was by no worth of his own; it was by no native strength or valor that he had been thus exalted, but it was wholly because God had dealt kindly with him, or had showed him favor. So all our success in life is to be traced to the favor - the kindness - of God.

thy gentleness hath made me great - David was very mean and low by his birth and occupation; but God of his grace and goodness, of his sovereign good will and pleasure, raised him to an high estate, set him on the throne of Israel, and gave him honor among and above the kings of the earth. The same with Christ, who was very low in his estate of humiliation on earth, but is now highly exalted, and crowned with glory and honor; who first endured great sufferings, and then entered into his glory