• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

Can someone please provide the layoff statistics which Obamacare has caused? I would also like to see what businesses are doing these layoffs. I keep reading about massive layoffs, but so far I have seen no evidence. No one I know has been laid off. There has not been a massive increase in unemployment figures. Where's the proof?

Some of the companies laying off are listed in the article link in the OP, along with the number of people that are losing their income.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

Do you really think that these companies haven't had plans in place, just waiting to see what would happen with election? Now they are implementing layoffs to protect themselves in the coming months. Short and long term planning is essential to maintain a business of any size.

Here are some more;

http://wwwwakeupamericans-spree.blogspot.com/search/label/Layoff%20Mania#.UKRY-Ia3Oq0

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

The Op comes from a Yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo....p/phantomtruth/

Any one of us can start a Yahoo group and say anything we like. I host a Yahoo group myself on genealogy.

Does anyone have any statistics and actual data from a reputable source? I would like to see some empirical data on this issue. Thanks.

I posted this before the election.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/health-law-spurs-shift-hours-022100532.html

Point is, it is affecting jobs.

Lol the article I showed you is not some blog. It is from the wall street journal as posted on yahoo news. The article specifically discusses how obamacare is causing businesses to change their employees hours. It gives specific examples with quotes from various businesses.

I will make it easy on you and post it below.

Pillar Hotels & Resorts this summer began to focus more on hiring part-time workers among its 5,500 employees, after the Supreme Court upheld the health-care overhaul, said Chief Executive Chris Russell. The company has 210 franchise hotels, under the Sheraton, Fairfield Inns, Hampton Inns and Holiday Inns brands.

"The tendency is to say, 'Let me fill this position with a 40-hour-a-week employee,' " said Mr. Russell. "I think we have to think differently."

Pillar offers health insurance to employees who work 32 hours a week or more, but only half take it, and Mr. Russell wants to limit his exposure to rising health-care costs. He said he planned to pursue new segments of the population, such as senior citizens, to find workers willing to accept part-time employment.

He described the shift as a "cultural change" toward hiring more part-timers, and not a prohibition against hiring full-timers.

CKE Restaurants Inc., parent of the Carl's Jr. and Hardee's burger chains, began two months ago to hire part-time workers to replace full-time employees who left, said Andy Puzder, CEO of the Carpinteria, Calif., company. CKE, which is owned by private-equity firm Apollo Management LP, offers limited-benefit plans to all restaurant employees, but the federal government won't allow those policies to be sold starting in 2014 because of low caps on payouts.

Home retailer Anna's Linens Inc. is considering cutting hours for some full-time employees to avoid the insurance mandate if the health-care law isn't repealed, said CEO Alan Gladstone.

Mr. Gladstone said the costs of providing coverage to all 1,100 sales associates who work at least 30 hours a week would be prohibitive, although he was weighing alternative options, such as raising prices.

The Costa Mesa, Calif., company currently offers benefits to workers who put in at least 32 hours a week.

But benefits consultants said most retail and hotel clients have explored shifting toward part-time workers. Those industries are less likely to offer health coverage now and, if they do, the plans typically are too skimpy to meet the minimum-coverage requirements.

"They've all considered it," said Matthew Stevenson, a workforce-strategy principal at Mercer. In a July survey, 32% of retail and hospitality company respondents told the consulting firm that they were likely to cut the number of employees working 30 hours a week or more.

Darden Restaurants Inc. was among the first companies to say it was changing hiring in response to the health-care law. The Orlando, Fla., parent of Red Lobster and Olive Garden in February began testing hiring part-time workers in four markets to replace some full-time workers who had left, a spokesman said.

Is that proof enough for you?

Another article about obamacare and how it affects businesses.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/florida-restaurateur-to-impose-surcharge-for-obamacare.html

Obamacare addresses cost control whereas Romneycare only deals with expanding coverage without dealing with cost.

Obamacare does not address cost. A main reason why health care in this country is so high is because of the large number of lawsuits and high amounts paid out over them. Obamacare does not address this. For awhile, obyns were leaving the profession because they couldnt afford malpractice insurance. Doctors and other medical professionals get sued without any merit to a case. Because the insurance companies opt to just settle out of court rather than pay court fees. So even if the doctor is not at fault, his insurance costs increase. Lawyers trade on this and often encourage lawsuits without merit. By all means, sue the doctor if he or she messed up and caused you harm, but the frivolous lawsuits are costing this country dearly. Obamacare does nothing to address that.