HawkBlue27

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

First of all I am going to start by saying I am NOT asking for someone else to tell me I am saved, I only need advice on what I can do. Or how to handle the situation I am in. Or some bible verse(s) that apply to where I am right now.

I have been having some confusion about my salvation. I was raised in a Catholic home but long story short I eventually learned the gospel. Over time I understood I was a sinner and I wanted to be saved. I have even been attending at least a half decent church in my area. And they do teach on repentance. That I turn to Jesus Christ to save me from my sins and cleanse me in his blood. I have trusted him to do this and it was not very long ago. And I want to live for God, but there has been an issue in my way. After seeing some videos on youtube though, some testimonies I have watched seem to me that in order to make someone's salvation 'valid' the moment after they get saved they should feel this sort of 'unexplainable certainty' that they are saved, you 'just know'. Like a kind of feeling or something. I know you cannot live by feelings and that I guess people react differently but this issue has me stumped. When I think about Christ and what he did I feel comfort, but when I see some of the other things people feel, it makes me wonder if the feeling I had was of the right one.

I had determined, I will take God at his word that I am saved and just spend time with him by praying and reading the bible. Basically, I have been wanting to do that. I have been telling the Lord, I trust what he did was enough to save me from my sins, and from hell and that I would follow him, all while simultaeously sort of expecting this sort of huge wave of peace to come over me after saying that. And basically I have gotten caught up with this. Not being sure what to do about it. I am so confused about this issue...what should I do? I mean, I don't want to say I am saved if I wasn't, I always figured I could take God at his word but apparently that isn't enough....I am so confused, one minute I am saved and the next moment not so sure...

Edited by HawkBlue27

Guest shiloh357

It isn't about a feeling. Feelings are unreliable. If you have asked Jesus to be your Savior and you were sincerely seeking salvation, then trust Him. Some people may experience some kind of feeling, but most don't. I didn't feel anything. If you have asked Him to save you He will AND He will keep you saved. It's a free gift and its yours just for the asking. All he asks is that you trust Him and that you walk according to your profession of faith.

I can realize that, it's just that after seeing some of these testimonies and youtube videos, for example, I had been watching a preacher I sometimes listen to, called Paul Washer talk about how one day a man came into the church with 3 weeks to live and was scared to die, and when Washer explained the gospel the man said he "understood" but he did not "feel" it. After spending hour upon hour with the man eventually the guy read John 3:16 and exclaimed he was saved. That's what I am talking about. When I look back at any experience I may have had, I do not remember ecstatically saying I was saved, in fact, looking for a feeling was not even the first thought that even occured to me. But after seeing these testimonies and videos they have really caused a great deal of confusion where now I expected to get some kind of sign after I pray or even read my bible. Right now, I can say I am saved, but then how do I know? When I think on the cross I have comfort, it's just that I don't know where then, the comfort is coming from, or if it's the right feeling.

Edited by HawkBlue27

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

First of all I am going to start by saying I am NOT asking for someone else to tell me I am saved, I only need advice on what I can do. Or how to handle the situation I am in. Or some bible verse(s) that apply to where I am right now.

I have been having some confusion about my salvation. I was raised in a Catholic home but long story short I eventually learned the gospel. Over time I understood I was a sinner and I wanted to be saved. I have even been attending at least a half decent church in my area. And they do teach on repentance. That I turn to Jesus Christ to save me from my sins and cleanse me in his blood. I have trusted him to do this and it was not very long ago. And I want to live for God, but there has been an issue in my way. After seeing some videos on youtube though, some testimonies I have watched seem to me that in order to make someone's salvation 'valid' the moment after they get saved they should feel this sort of 'unexplainable certainty' that they are saved, you 'just know'. Like a kind of feeling or something. I know you cannot live by feelings and that I guess people react differently but this issue has me stumped. When I think about Christ and what he did I feel comfort, but when I see some of the other things people feel, it makes me wonder if the feeling I had was of the right one.

I had determined, I will take God at his word that I am saved and just spend time with him by praying and reading the bible. Basically, I have been wanting to do that. I have been telling the Lord, I trust what he did was enough to save me from my sins, and from hell and that I would follow him, all while simultaeously sort of expecting this sort of huge wave of peace to come over me after saying that. And basically I have gotten caught up with this. Not being sure what to do about it. I am so confused about this issue...what should I do? I mean, I don't want to say I am saved if I wasn't, I always figured I could take God at his word but apparently that isn't enough....I am so confused, one minute I am saved and the next moment not so sure...

One of the first things Satan does when a person becomes a Christian, is attack that person with doubts. He wants to strangle your faith early on, so that you will be ineffectual. If the Devil can keep you doubting your own salvation, you certainly won't be witnessing to anyone else.

You are right to simply take God at His word. He says if you repent and place your faith in Jesus alone to save you, you will be saved. Remember, without faith, it is impossible to please God. The belief that Jesus died for your sins, was buried, and was resurrected on the third day, is a saving faith.

Resist the Devil when he tempts you with doubt, and he will flee from you.

Blessings :heart:

Guest shiloh357

I can realize that, it's just that after seeing some of these testimonies and youtube videos, for example, I had been watching a preacher I sometimes listen to, called Paul Washer talk about how one day a man came into the church with 3 weeks to live and was scared to die, and when Washer explained the gospel the man said he "understood" but he did not "feel" it. After spending hour upon hour with the man eventually the guy read John 3:16 and exclaimed he was saved. That's what I am talking about. When I look back at any experience I may have had, I do not remember ecstatically saying I was saved, in fact, looking for a feeling was not even the first thought that even occured to me. But after seeing these testimonies and videos they have really caused a great deal of confusion where now I expected to get some kind of sign after I pray or even read my bible. Right now, I can say I am saved, but then how do I know? When I think on the cross I have comfort, it's just that I don't know where then, the comfort is coming from, or if it's the right feeling.

The Word of God tells you that if you trust in Jesus you are saved. Not only that but you have internal witness of the Holy Spirit. If you were not saved, you would not care about signs or whatnot. It is that internal witness working in your heart. Don't let what other people experience bring confusion. We don't base faith on other people's experiences. That is not something you can rely on. But God's promises in His word are sure and immovable and you can anchor your heart on them. Renew your mind in what the Bible says and not on what you hear on Youtube.

Keep in mind also, that the signs and experience that others claim to have can also be theatre and people building up and embellishing their salvation experience to appear spiritual. Keep your mind stayed on the Scriptures and let the Scriptures inform your understanding of salvation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,422
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

You sound fairly brand new to The Life Christ offers us! So realize you are two people now old and New! Old

has been around since beginning and New from where you believed and repented of your sins and cried out to Jesus

to save you.

It is unique our salvation to The Lord and I am suspect each account different with each individual as the print upon our fingers.

As it seems in His creation with snow flakes, blades of grass, leafs, etc. each unique and precious as they testify of His Character of

infinite design and purpose-

Ro 1:20

20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the

things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

NKJV

We began in a sinful state (first birth) and because of this reality all things must be made brand new even our minds

Ro 12:1-2

2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,

that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God

NKJV

We are to do this with His Word alone as the material we process will event faith bringing into trust that which we have not-

but will initiate hope in that which is promised...

Heb 11:1-3

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by

it the elders obtained a good testimony. 3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed

by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

NKJV

Ro 10:17

17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

NKJV

the ending result is we will desire God and His things more than all that we have now here. That which He lovingly

tells us will cease and not to put our hearts on it for that very reason! We become seated upon eternal things Himself

and His New Heaven and Earth... Rev 22

The Reality:

We are made up of a being of soul, 3 part, mind-will-emotion

threepartbeing.jpg

It is easy to determine this as truth for God's desire is to reason with mind

Isa 1:18-19

18 "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the Lord, "Though your sins are like scarlet,

They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.

(Note progression first reason then willing)

19 If you are willing and obedient, You shall eat the good of the land;

NKJV

To know ... To do with the will

Jas 4:17

17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

NKJV

the emotion will follow (in time) as it is produced by the stimulus of surroundings and more directly connected to the body

and (flesh) is unredeemable but needs to be brought into subjection... so that we may perform the desire of God within us in Spirit!

Rom 7:13-8:11

I had determined, I will take God at his word that I am saved and just spend time with him by praying and reading the bible. Basically, I have been wanting to do that. I have been telling the Lord, I trust what he did was enough to save me from my sins, and from hell and that I would follow him, all while simultaneously sort of expecting this sort of huge wave of peace to come over me after saying that. And basically I have gotten caught up with this. Not being sure what to do about it. I am so confused about this issue...what should I do? I mean, I don't want to say I am saved if I wasn't, I always figured I could take God at his word but apparently that isn't enough....I am so confused, one minute I am saved and the next moment not so sure...

Growing in The Lord is a process of joy and discovery as you apply yourself in His Word and

renew your mind and apply what you learn to actions of life you will have emotional experiences that

will astound you in their magnitude... but never shall they be the proof to follow but the result of actions

of obediences applied to life from Word! The body wars with us in ways of its design using all the senses

to sway us from Spiritual paths where the body cannot exercise all its pleasure of touch, smell, sight, hear

and taste... God wants relationship to develop Spiritually because He has much more planned outside of

our understanding now! This will be realized with the new body in a new place where sin never has been :)

Love, Steven

What it boils down to, is you can place your trust in "feelings" or place your trust in God. Either God keeps His promises or He doesn't. Either God is a liar or He isn't. Simple as that.

If you don't mind talking about it, what is the gospel and how did you get saved?

The death burial and resurrection of Christ to save his people from their sins with his blood. You get saved by turning from sin (repent) and trusting what he did was enough to save you.

If you don't mind talking about it, what is the gospel and how did you get saved?

The death burial and resurrection of Christ to save his people from their sins with his blood. You get saved by turning from sin (repent) and trusting what he did was enough to save you.

You sure sound saved to me! :thumbsup::heart:

Also I will note one of the books I read (an online version of it) which gave me a clearer understanding of the gospel was 'All of Grace' by Charles Spurgeon, by taking me away from anything I could feel, do, or pray.

Edited by HawkBlue27