GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

My mother read this to me this past weekend. This was a challenge to me and a blessing. I thought I'd share.

Think a minute

There was a young, intelligent university student named Bill. Bill was what some people call a “free spirit” or “hippie.” He had wild long hair, always wore the same old and torn T-shirt, jeans and no shoes.

Across the street from the university campus was a conservative Christian church. The people there were rich, older and well-dressed. They wanted to help the university students nearby, but they did not know exactly how to do it.

Well, one day Bill decided to go visit this church by his university. As usual, he went wearing his only jeans, old, torn T-shirt and his dirty long hair.

The church service had already started and was full, so Bill walked down the center aisle looking for a seat. People were getting more and more uncomfortable as they watched this unclean, wild-looking young man.

Finally, Bill got to the front and saw there were no more empty seats, so he just sat down on the floor right in front of the preacher.

No one had ever done that in this church before!

By now, everyone was upset and distracted.

Then, a respected old church deacon got up and started toward the front. Everyone was thinking: “You can’t blame the deacon, he really should correct this disrespectful young man.”

Everyone was watching.

Even the preacher stopped his sermon when the old man finally got to the front. Then, they were all completely surprised to see the old deacon drop his walking stick and very slowly sit down on the floor next to this young hippie.

He did not want this young man to sit alone and feel unaccepted. The people in the church were moved to tears.

Finally, the preacher said: “What I am preaching about today you will probably never remember. But what you have just seen you will never forget!”

Today they're called gang members, Emo's, Punks, Grungies, Techies, Prep's, etc. Yet every one of them needs Jesus. Perhaps extending grace as this gentleman did is the first step. For some reason we expect lost people to act saved. We expect those in the world to look a certain way, talk a certain way, and behave a certain at times before we will approach them. A few passages have been brought to my mind... I'll share them following this OP.

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Mark 2:15-17

15 Now it happened, as He was dining in Levi’s house, that many tax collectors and sinners also sat together with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many, and they followed Him. 16 And when the scribes and[b]Pharisees saw Him eating with the tax collectors and sinners, they said to His disciples, “How is it that He eats and drinks with tax collectors and sinners?”

17 When Jesus heard it, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call therighteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

How am I showing God's grace to the lost? Am I surrounding myself with Christians and living life in a "Christian Bubble"? Am I satisfied with speaking to others on the Internet? When was the last time I shared my faith with another? How many non-Christian friends do I have?

Christ came for those who are sick and dying...

These are questions that would be good to reflect upon.

God bless you.

In Christ,

GE

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  436
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  13

My mother read this to me this past weekend. This was a challenge to me and a blessing. I thought I'd share.

Think a minute

There was a young, intelligent university student named Bill. Bill was what some people call a “free spirit” or “hippie.” He had wild long hair, always wore the same old and torn T-shirt, jeans and no shoes.

Across the street from the university campus was a conservative Christian church. The people there were rich, older and well-dressed. They wanted to help the university students nearby, but they did not know exactly how to do it.

Well, one day Bill decided to go visit this church by his university. As usual, he went wearing his only jeans, old, torn T-shirt and his dirty long hair.

The church service had already started and was full, so Bill walked down the center aisle looking for a seat. People were getting more and more uncomfortable as they watched this unclean, wild-looking young man.

Finally, Bill got to the front and saw there were no more empty seats, so he just sat down on the floor right in front of the preacher.

Then, a respected old church deacon got up and started toward the front. Everyone was thinking: “You can’t blame the deacon, he really should correct this disrespectful young man.”

Everyone was watching.

Even the preacher stopped his sermon when the old man finally got to the front. Then, they were all completely surprised to see the old deacon drop his walking stick and very slowly sit down on the floor next to this young hippie.

He did not want this young man to sit alone and feel unaccepted. The people in the church were moved to tears.

Finally, the preacher said: “What I am preaching about today you will probably never remember. But what you have just seen you will never forget!”

Today they're called gang members, Emo's, Punks, Grungies, Techies, Prep's, etc. Yet every one of them needs Jesus. Perhaps extending grace as this gentleman did is the first step. For some reason we expect lost people to act saved. We expect those in the world to look a certain way, talk a certain way, and behave a certain at times before we will approach them. A few passages have been brought to my mind... I'll share them following this OP.

God bless,

GE

Thats some good stuff GE. Thank you for caring enough to help be aware. God bless ya!

Edited by GoldenEagle
<< To fix post... >>

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  436
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  13

I'm sorry, my phone messed up and my comment is in the middle of your story.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

AMEN!! Thank you for sharing GE! That was a wonderful read! :)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2

great story of an excellent example

Think a minute

Everyone was watching.

God bless,

GE

That's some good stuff GE. Thank you for caring enough to help be aware. God bless ya!

Amen~!