• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

Jesus said in Luke 13:2-6 And Jesus answered and said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

Here's a question:

Does true repentance leading to salvation necessarily require an emotional response?

In other words, can true repentance be more of an intellectual act (changing one's mind concerning God, sin, and the world), than one stemming from (for example) a deep rooted sorrow for one's actions or other emotion?

What do you think?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Intellectual acts are simply that...intellectual, they come from the head. True repentance and salvation comes from the heart. Jesus comes into your heart...which changes the way you see things, and changes your mind and the way you think.

Someone can know the Bible inside and out, and read it thoroughly...they can spout Bible verses all over the place...but unless they have that RELATIONSHIP with Christ all is lost to them. Relationships are from the heart, if they are true. business relationships are from the mind and not emotional.

Hope this helps you with your questions

Thinking about repentance and salvation is a great start though, it will eventually lead to more if you ask God to open the eyes to your heart :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Jesus said in Luke 13:2-6 And Jesus answered and said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

Here's a question:

Does true repentance leading to salvation necessarily require an emotional response?

In other words, can true repentance be more of an intellectual act (changing one's mind concerning God, sin, and the world), than one stemming from (for example) a deep rooted sorrow for one's actions or other emotion?

What do you think?

Repentance is realizing we are wrong, and turning toward God. I think it is possible to truly repent without an emotional response.

However, I don't know how a person can receive salvation and not respond/react to the sudden change considering what is included in salvation.

1. the old man dies

2. we become new creations

3. the indwelling of the Holy Spirit

Here's a question:

What do you think?

Repentance is realizing we are wrong, and turning toward God. I think it is possible to truly repent without an emotional response.

I tend to agree...

I thought about the Ethiopian Eunuch (Acts 8) and the two who knew only John's baptism (Acts 19). There wasn't any emotion recorded (such as being "cut to the heart") prior to their salvation...the only emotion that I see is with the Ethiopian who went rejoicing after being baptized.

However, I don't know how a person can receive salvation and not respond/react to the sudden change considering what is included in salvation.

1. the old man dies

2. we become new creations

3. the indwelling of the Holy Spirit

Full agreement here, no doubt.

Intellectual acts are simply that...intellectual, they come from the head. True repentance and salvation comes from the heart. Jesus comes into your heart...which changes the way you see things, and changes your mind and the way you think.

Someone can know the Bible inside and out, and read it thoroughly...they can spout Bible verses all over the place...but unless they have that RELATIONSHIP with Christ all is lost to them. Relationships are from the heart, if they are true. business relationships are from the mind and not emotional.

Hope this helps you with your questions

Thinking about repentance and salvation is a great start though, it will eventually lead to more if you ask God to open the eyes to your heart :)

True...But the question I was asking is whether or not an emotion (i.e. sorrow for one's actions) is something that is required as a part of repentance.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

re·pent·ance

[ri-pen-tns, -pen-tuhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngns]

noun

deep sorrow, compunction, or contrition for a past sin,wrongdoing, or the like.

regret for any past action.

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Repentance definition

There are three Greek words used in the New Testament to denote repentance.

(1.) The verb _metamelomai_ is used of a change of mind, such as to produce regret or even remorse on account of sin,but not necessarily a change of heart. This word is used with reference to the repentance of Judas (Matt. 27:3).

(2.) Metanoeo,meaning to change one's mind and purpose, as the result of afterknowledge. This verb, with

(3) the cognate noun _metanoia_, is used of true repentance, a change of mind and purpose and life, to which remission of sin is promised. Evangelical repentance consists of

(1) a true sense of one's own guilt and sinfulness;

(2) an apprehension of God's mercy in Christ;

(3) an actual hatred of sin (Ps. 119:128; Job 42:5, 6; 2 Cor. 7:10) and turning from it to God;

and (4) a persistent endeavour after a holy life in a walking with God in the way of his commandments.

The true penitent is conscious of guilt (Ps. 51:4, 9), of pollution (51:5, 7, 10), and of helplessness (51:11; 109:21, 22).

Thus he apprehends himself to be just what God has always seen him to be and declares him to be. But repentance comprehends not only such a sense of sin, but also an apprehension of mercy, without which there can be no true repentance (Ps. 51:1; 130:4).

-----------

IMO, true repentance is not possible without an emotional response. the sensing of one's sinfulness cannot solely be an intellectual act.

IMO, true repentance is not possible without an emotional response. the sensing of one's sinfulness cannot solely be an intellectual act.

Not arguing, just curious as to why it couldn't be...

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

Not arguing, just curious as to why it couldn't be...

i know.. me neither bro. :wink1:

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  322
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  1

Would not true repentance be marked by a change in behavior? If I get "emotional" over the sins I commit, yet I continue to commit those sins then I have not truly repented. On the other hand, I can acknowledge my sins without much emotion a nd determine to change my behaviors reflective of my repentant heart.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

true repentance is not to do the same again, is change of life