• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I personally, think the adoptive couple needs to keep the child. I'm tired of the indians getting all these special privilige-they need to be given the same rights and rules as everyone else, and they need to follow the same rights and rules as everyone else.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I hope they find that there is no longer an unfair advantage given to tribes to "reclaim" indian kids. There are so many horror stories out there of abuses of this act. For instance, when I first got married, there was this non indian man whose indian wife had died. Out of nowhere the grandmother, an indian, who didnt even have much input in the kids lives, used this act to take the children away from their father. There was nothing he could do about it.

There was another story I heard about at the same time. A single indian woman decided to give up her baby for adoption. She knew she couldnt give it a good home. She chose a non indian family to give her baby to. For 8 years this child was living with her adoptive family. A completed adoption. The mother as I recall also had rights to still visit and be a part of the child's life. Out of the blue, the tribe demanded custody of the child. The family didnt want it. The biological mother didnt want it. The child didnt want it. The courts gave the child to the tribe to give to a family of complete indian strangers to raise.

I know of one worthy member who lost her adopted child to this act. It still grieves her. She has no rights whatsoever to even find out how the child is.

If we had kids, I could have lost my right to be their mother at any time if anyone from the tribe, even a total stranger, decided to take them. So instead of preventing indian kids from being taken from indian families as the act was originally designed for, this act is being used to take indian kids away from their non indian legal custodian (whether adoptive custodian or non indian biological parent) even if it destroyed the family.

I hope they strike this act down.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I personally, think the adoptive couple needs to keep the child. I'm tired of the indians getting all these special privilige-they need to be given the same rights and rules as everyone else, and they need to follow the same rights and rules as everyone else.

Funny you should mention that. Indians are being shorted a lot of basic things you and I get. One of my complaints about the way we cater to illegals is how indians should be cared for before illegals, yet they are once again being squashed in favor of illegals.

I agree jade, they shouldnt be shorted anything, that isnt what Im saying, Im saying they should be given equal status as all other americans, thats all. They are people-just like you and me. If anything, keeping them on reservations and under "special rules" just hurts them more, because it turns it into the US verse them, and the US has never, treated them real well. I say grant them equal status as all other americans, give them the same rights as all other americans, and provide them with all the same things as all other americans. Im against the mistreatment of indians-just like Im against mistreatement of anyone-Im for, giving them equal rights.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Thank you, Jade. It helps to understand what is going on.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/03/1980

If anything, keeping them on reservations

Last I checked, they are free to come and go as they please.

Yes, but they often dont because they get special treatment on their reservations-they got total control of their land, own rules, etc.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/03/1980

Yes, but they often dont because they get special treatment on their reservations-they got total control of their land, own rules, etc.

In my opinion, it's the least the U.S. Government can do, given what happen was done to them.