• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

Are you still a Christian if you live in unrepentant sin? For example, lets say a person frequently commits homosexual/adultery/sexual immorality acts, they know it is wrong but yet they continue to do it by ignoring scripture. Are they still a christian? Also lets say a person reads scripture and uses it to justify their sexual immorality even if that is not the purpose. If they ignore those who explains the real meaning of the scripture and they ignore the claim are they still a Christian. Overall if a person is unrepentant in sin or even twists the scripture to accept their sin are they really a Christian?

-these examples are for a person who already claims they are Christian.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

It depends.

Being born again must necessarily include repentance, not only of our past sin, but also a willingness to turn our backs on a sinful lifestyle. We don't become perfect people at that moment, so of course we will fail and fall at times, but with the help of the Holy Spirit, we don't have to be enslaved to sin any more. Sinning will grieve this person. They will be convicted.

Problems arise when the Gospel isn't properly presented, or isn't properly received, and that repentance and willingness to turn from sin is absent. This results in a false conversion, or "fire insurance". A person thinks they've simply "added" Jesus to their life, and will now escape Hell, but never really know or understand why their lives should have to change in any way. Sinning will not grieve this person, nor convict them, for they were never really saved to begin with.

Once you know which category your hypothetical habitual sinner falls into, then you can know if they're a Christian or not. It's really a state-of-the-heart thing.

@Chloe- what about for those who are not necessarily born again but have been in the church all of their lives and have thus been raised as a Christian.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

@Chloe- what about for those who are not necessarily born again but have been in the church all of their lives and have thus been raised as a Christian.

There's a difference between a Christian, and a person who's simply been raised by Christian parents or in church. Salvation isn't biologically hereditary, and it can't occur by osmosis by simply attending church. Jesus said we must all be born again. We all must come to a place in our lives where we recognize our sin, repent, and trust Jesus (not parents or church) for salvation. This is what determines if one is a Christian, or isn't. It has nothing to do with church attendence or upbringing.

Are you still a Christian if you live in unrepentant sin? For example, lets say a person frequently commits homosexual/adultery/sexual immorality acts, they know it is wrong but yet they continue to do it by ignoring scripture. Are they still a christian? Also lets say a person reads scripture and uses it to justify their sexual immorality even if that is not the purpose. If they ignore those who explains the real meaning of the scripture and they ignore the claim are they still a Christian. Overall if a person is unrepentant in sin or even twists the scripture to accept their sin are they really a Christian?

There really aren't any hard and fast rules for things like this, but Jesus did say, "By their fruit shall ye know them." Be a "fruit inspector" in other words, because only God truly knows who is saved and who isn't. Then there are the folks that you describe. Here's what I've learned:

Anyone who says they are a Christian, but lives in obvious sin, enjoys their sin, is not grieved by their sin, does not want to stop their sin, and shows no evidence in their life of the Lord's discipline (chastisement) -- most likely was never saved to begin with. I say most likely because I'm not God and can't see their heart. A person't life will change after being born again. Lack of a change in lifestyle may indicate someone isn't really saved -- but changes can take time! Speaking for myself: the drugs, booze, and all went first after I was saved. Cigarettes and some other things took longer . . . much longer . . . and its still an ongoing process.

I can't "get away" with much as a born again believer. :laugh: The Lord has an annoying habit of calling me on things every time, and things will go down hill from there if I keep trying to do something I'm not supposed to. Sometimes God taps you on the shoulder. Sometimes He throws a brick or two . . . :whistling:

My question was in regards to Chris Broussard's comments about Jason Collins:

“Personally I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly premarital sex between heterosexuals,” Broussard said. ”If you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be. I think that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I don’t think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian"

He does use the "know them by their fruits" but he also does state that he would not characterize a person as a Christian if they lived in unrepentant sexual immorality. And also what about those who have unrepentant murder but still claim Christianity or even say they are murdering in the name of the Lord? There are those who do things in the name of Christianity that are horrible and wrong so do we claim they are not Christians or do we defend them somehow?

Guest Butero

No.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Being born in Christ must include the repentance of our sins just as the only way to pay for our sins included a sacrifice that only a perfect One could do... Jesus Christ. we must die to our sins, although we still have a sinful nature. we can not claim to be Christians in name yet continue to live as the nonbelievers do.... for then where is the renovation of our hearts and the sanctification of our souls which is only done by the work of the presence of the Holy Spirit in us. Praise be to our Lord Jesus for what He did for sinners like all of us.

No.

lol, straight and to the point.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

We all sin -every day. I challenge anyone to go one single day - even one hour - without committing a single sin. We sin when we don't love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. The Bible says we are to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect.

Thank God we are declared perfect and righteous through our relationship with Jesus. Our sins are forgiven through His shed blood on the cross. We can rebel, and not do as we ought, which will invite God's chastening. But the issue of our salvation is settled.

Even Paul lamented that He did not do as he should - that he also struggled with sin:

''I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?

Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature, a slave to the law of sin." (Romans 7:15-25)

The Bible also makes it clear that there will be believers in heaven who made it with no good works to show.

"If any man's work abide which he has built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." (1 Corinthians 3:15)