• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

I am not trying to sow discontent, I am trying to put together evidence that not all lies or deceptions are sins. 

I have seen it put forth as Righteous vs Evil deception.  That not unlike killing, God does not view them all the same. 

I do not believe that Rahab sinned when she lied about the spies.

I do not believe that the midwives sinned when they lied to Pharaoh about the Hebrew babies.

Joshua and Gideon and Tamar all used deception and I do not believe they were sinning when they did so.

And in the same train of thought, I do believe that Jesus knew he was going to go to the feast and the he misled his brothers for a righteous purpose.

Then I would advise that you not use the word Jesus and deceive in the same sentence?

There is only one deceiver and it is not Jesus.

Is all deception evil and wrong?  

was God wrong to use deception in the battle that Gideon fought?

God is never wrong, never. But then again His motive is always Love.

Ours, not so much.

so then, not all deception is wrong or evil.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I am not trying to sow discontent, I am trying to put together evidence that not all lies or deceptions are sins. 

I have seen it put forth as Righteous vs Evil deception.  That not unlike killing, God does not view them all the same. 

I do not believe that the midwives sinned when they lied to Pharaoh about the Hebrew babies.

Joshua and Gideon and Tamar all used deception and I do not believe they were sinning when they did so.

And in the same train of thought, I do believe that Jesus knew he was going to go to the feast and the he misled his brothers for a righteous purpose.

Then I would advise that you not use the word Jesus and deceive in the same sentence?

Ours, not so much.

God is never wrong, He is never deceptive, nor can He be evil.

Us on the other hand.....

Ours, not so much.

God is never wrong, He is never deceptive, nor can He be evil.

Us on the other hand.....

but God can tell people to be deceptive, as he did with Gideon and with Joshua, just to use two examples.

but God can tell people to be deceptive, as he did with Gideon and with Joshua, just to use two examples.

Actually God can do exactly as He pleases, including destroying creation as we know it. But He will do it all to our good, the bible is very specific about that.

He is the Potter and we the clay.

What is your point?

Actually God can do exactly as He pleases, including destroying creation as we know it. But He will do it all to our good, the bible is very specific about that.

What is your point?

my point is that not all deception is evil or wrong

What is your point?

Can you give me an example that you would perhaps use in a real life situation?

I can think of many with short term results, and some spectacular deceptions that won wars. The allies built an entire fake army, tanks, trucks, planes, etc, to fool Hitler. They built entire "cities" of light, closely mimicking the shape of British cities so that the Germans bombed empty fields at night. 

So your statement, while it has merit, needs elucidation on your part.

What is your point?

I can think of many with short term results, and some spectacular deceptions that won wars. The allies built an entire fake army, tanks, trucks, planes, etc, to fool Hitler. They built entire "cities" of light, closely mimicking the shape of British cities so that the Germans bombed empty fields at night. 

Those are some very good example. 

The story of Anne Frank comes to mind as well.  they used deceptions and lies to stay hidden for years.  To some this was a sin.  I just don't see it that way.

I have a friend who is a DEA agent.  While he no longer does undercover work, he did for a while.   To some this very work was sinful as it by its very nature included lies and deceptions.  I just don't see it that way.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  377
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

What is your point?

The story of Anne Frank comes to mind as well.  they used deceptions and lies to stay hidden for years.  To some this was a sin.  I just don't see it that way.

I have a friend who is a DEA agent.  While he no longer does undercover work, he did for a while.   To some this very work was sinful as it by its very nature included lies and deceptions.  I just don't see it that way.

Christians who have jobs that necessitate lies and deception need to change their work!

What is your point?

Christians who have jobs that necessitate lies and deception need to change their work!

Thank you for your opinion.  While I do not agree with it, I do appreciate alternative views