GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

A Tennessee mother is planning a "nurse in" with other breastfeeding moms after she was approached by a Chick-Fil-A employee voicing the concerns of patrons who wished she would not breastfeed in public — or would at least cover up while doing so.
breastfeeding at
Chick-Fil-A

Jennifer say she herself was made to feel uncomfortable when an employee told her other parents were uncomfortable with her breastfeeding, something she was legally allowed to do without a cover-up. (Image: WBIR video screenshot)

Jennifer Day of Turkey Creek said she was in the play area of the fast-food restaurant when an employee approached her and "told me some of the other parents were afraid of allowing their kids to play in the play area while I was feeding her, especially without any cover," WBIR-TV reported.

"Any mother is allowed to breastfeed her child if she's in that place otherwise," she continued. "They were made for a purpose, a God-given ability. It's the best gift you can give to your child."

According to Tennessee law, Day was within her right to breastfeed in public, even without a cover.

Day also noted that she doesn't use a cover because her 5-month-old doesn't like it and would rip it off anyway.

The debate over public breastfeeding rights has been a reoccurring one, but given that Day was feeding her child without a cover-up at a restaurant where others nearby would be eating, does that change things a bit?

Here's are some of the comments from some locals on the topic of Day's public breastfeeding: "It's fine with me," said Ariel Leach. "I mean, I don't have any issue with it." Sean O'Donnell was sitting next to her. "It's nature, go for it," he said. "My mom breastfed me in a public place, and that was the early '90s. So, why not?" Nearby, Megan Burgess and her toddler were playing in the fountains. "I breastfed, but I felt it was easier for myself if I was covered up. I also think it's more acceptable if you're covered up," she said. "We want to prolong breastfeeding and make sure moms are dong it for the health of the baby. So if we have to give a little bit for that, I think covering up is the best option." Addarius Sanders wasn't so easily convinced. "I don't think you should do it in public," he said with a giggle. "I think it's something you should do at home, or when everyone's not looking."

Watch WBIR's report:

Day said the "nurse in" at the same Chick-Fil-A is planned for Wednesday.

She also told WBIR that she's not trying to cause trouble but is hoping people understand that "saying something like that does make mothers uncomfortable."

This isn't the first time a Chick-Fil-A has asked a breastfeeding mother to cover up, resulting in a follow-up "nurse in" either.

In 2009, a mother similarly was breastfeeding in a play area of the restaurant when a manager suggested she cover up, offering towels to help, according to the Orlando Sentinel. The manager after the fact acknowledged that she had made a mistake in making the suggestion.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

First of all I do not think that they mentioned that the mother was covered.I would take offense if a mother had her breasts hanging out and was breastfeeding her baby.Cover up and show some modesty and I am ok with that.That is my personal opinion.If it is a law in a particular state that a mother can breastfeed her baby without being covered then that becomes another issue.

First of all I do not think that they mentioned that the mother was covered.I would take offense if a mother had her breasts hanging out and was breastfeeding her baby.Cover up and show some modesty and I am ok with that.That is my personal opinion.If it is a law in a particular state that a mother can breastfeed her baby without being covered then that becomes another issue.

See Bopeep in Tennesse a woman can legally breastfeed without being covered. The CFA employee was breaking the law.

Also, it seems like this whole thing was motivated out of fear - possibly fear of the uknown. Particularly on the part of the other parents. In other words there was lack of education on the laws of the land and what the purpose of breastfeeding was for.

Further, people being afraid to allow their kids in the same area as a breastfeeding mother is IMO sending kids the wrong message.

If you click on the youtube video... There's a bit of a transcript.

Jennifer Day of Turkey Creek said she was in the play area of the fast-food restaurant when an employee approached her and "told me some of the other parents were afraid of allowing their kids to play in the play area while I was feeding her, especially without any cover," WBIR-TV reported.

"Any mother is allowed to breastfeed her child if she's in that place otherwise," she continued. "They were made for a purpose, a God-given ability. It's the best gift you can give to your child."

According to Tennessee law, Day was within her right to breastfeed in public, even without a cover.

Day also noted that she doesn't use a cover because her 5-month-old doesn't like it and would rip it off anyway.

God bless,

GE

For reference here's the laws that apply to breastfeeding in Tennessee...

Tenn. Code Ann. § 68-58-101 et seq. (2006, 2011) permits a mother to breastfeed in any location, public or private, that the mother is authorized to be, and prohibits local governments from criminalizing or restricting breastfeeding.  Specifies that the act of breastfeeding shall not be considered public indecency as defined by § 39-13-511; or nudity, obscene, or sexual conduct as defined in § 39-17-901

This law (Tenn. Code Ann. § 68-58-101 et seq.) and § 39-13-511(d) were amended in 2011 by Tenn. Pub. Acts, Chap. 91 (SB 83) to remove a provision permitting mothers to breastfeed only infants 12 months or younger in any location. (2006 Tenn. Law, Chap. 617; HB 3582)

Tenn. Code Ann. § 50-1-305 (1999) requires employers to provide daily unpaid break time for a mother to express breast milk for her infant child. Employers are also required to make a reasonable effort to provide a private location, other than a toilet stall, in close proximity to the workplace for this activity. (1999 Tenn. Law, Chap. 161; SB 1856)

As a response a nurse-in was organized at the CFA store...

Aiming to educate diners about a woman’s right to breastfeed in public, a group of about 20 women staged a "nurse-in" Wednesday at a Chick-fil-A in Knoxville, Tennessee. That’s where, earlier in the week, an employee had asked a mother nursing her 5-month-old daughter to stop.

"Just as I was finishing up, an employee came up and told me other parents were afraid of letting their children play while I was feeding her, especially without a cover," mom Jennifer Day told ABC News 6 in Knoxville. So she rallied other lactating pals, who decided the protest would be an effective way of letting folks know that the state law — which allows women to breastfeed anywhere, public or private, where they are "otherwise authorized to be present" — is on the mom’s side.

We want everyone to feel safe. We want nursing mothers to feel safe. Because what is more family than a mother and her baby? And this is a family restaurant," nurse-in co-organizer Anna Hurley (a former Chick-fil-A employee) told the TV station. "We just want to normalize breastfeeding. We just want society to change its views.”

Chick-fil-A—which was under fire last year for making millions in donations to political organizations that oppose gay rights—released a statement, saying, “The manager has apologized and regrets any offense he may have caused." The restaurant also plans to now work with the East Tennessee Breastfeeding Coalition for some sensitivity training, the coalition told News 6.

"I called them," Sherri Hedberg, coalition chair told Yahoo! Shine. "It's something we do in our area. Chick-fil-A is not the first place to give a woman a problem over this. I just tell them, 'I'm here to help.'" Hedberg said she sent the restaurant a training packet, but because the franchise owner was away, a formal commitment could not yet be made.

As for the nurse-in, she added, "It turned out great. Chick-fil-A was very welcoming and accommodating, and it was kind of like a big party. The customers, for the most part, were fine."

Full article: http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/chick-fil-a-nurse-in-stands-up-for-public-breastfeeding-171256622.html

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

I just can't imagine a woman pulling up her top and start nursing in front of everyone.I guess that is just my thing.The same thing as when the girls running around the locker room and showering naked.That has always made me really uncomfortable.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Can someone please tell me what breastfeeding mothers did some years ago when this was not done in public?  Babies are generally fed every three to four hours initially..can't the mothers try to work around those times so as not to have to feed in public?

If they cannot manage that then for goodness sake just do the decent thing and cover up. I cannot understand why any woman would want other men to looking at her breast as they passed by cause they know the guys would look...well most would. :hmmm:

Can someone please tell me what breastfeeding mothers did some years ago when this was not done in public?  Babies are generally fed every three to four hours initially..can't the mothers try to work around those times so as not to have to feed in public?

If they cannot manage that then for goodness sake just do the decent thing and cover up. I cannot understand why any woman would want other men to looking at her breast as they passed by cause they know the guys would look...well most would. :hmmm:

I think a lot off issues here have to do with the culture. Americans are obssessed with breasts from what I can tell. I don't mean that in a trivial or disrespectful way. Lol.

I'm sorry but to me there is nothing sensual about a woman breastfeeding her child. It's a need the child has. It's the best thing for the child. If I see someone breastfeeding I simply avoid staring. :thumbsup:

The issue here is this mother was completely within her legal rights to breastfeed in public with or without a cover her 5 month old child.

The issue is IMO parents make big deals about breastfeeding in public. If the parents hadn't made a big deal about it I imagine the kids would've just enjoyed playing and ignored her...

Food for thought.

For reference too check out... This is world breastfeeding awareness month.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

This young mother was completely out of place. She was rude not thinking of the feelings of other folks while eating. I would not want to see that myself while eating dinner. She has caused some fellow Christians to stumble over her stumbling block. As a minister, I do not pray when out dinning, I pray prior to going in to the establishment so that I may not cause things to be  said about Christians that need not be said. Oh look, the man is praying, I guess He's better than us. I have heard these comments, so why give anyone a reason to say them.lol