• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

what one wears and how much is covered is purely a cultural thing, and it changes over time as people change.

There is no biblical dress code.

There was a time when anything than this on a man was scandalous...

If you had been born and raised on the island of Samoa your view of what was right and wrong to wear will be very different than if you were born and raised in Scotland.

I disagree.The bible says that we are supposed to dress modest.

yes it does, and what is "modest" changes from place to place and from age to age.  What you and I consider modest most likely would not have been considered so 100 years ago.

What is considered modest on the island of Samoa will be very different than in Scotland.

Does that make one of them wrong?

are we wrong because we look at "modest" differently than they did 100 years ago?

The definition of modest always had been and always will be based upon the culture in question.

The definition changes from place to place and age to age.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

The definition of modest always had been and always will be based upon the culture in question.

Yes,if a person is living in the jungle and has not seen civilization then they might have a reason to not wear much.I think you will see that in National Geographic Magazine.But others do not have an excuse to let it all hang out.The Bible does not say if you live in a certain culture you can wear what you want and be as immodest as you want.It also does not give an excuse for a young woman to dress inappropriately but a grandma it is not excepted.Age does not matter.

Yes,if a person is living in the jungle and has not seen civilization then they might have a reason to not wear much.I think you will see that in National Geographic Magazine.But others do not have an excuse to let it all hang out.The Bible does not say if you live in a certain culture you can wear what you want and be as immodest as you want.It also does not give an excuse for a young woman to dress inappropriately but a grandma it is not excepted.Age does not matter.

it is a bit deeper than that, but even in your view it is still "civilization" that is setting the definition. 

and when I said age to age I guess I should have said "era to era" as what you and I consider to be modest is likely very different than what we would have considered modest 100 years ago.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

it is a bit deeper than that, but even in your view it is still "civilization" that is setting the definition. 

and when I said age to age I guess I should have said "era to era" as what you and I consider to be modest is likely very different than what we would have considered modest 100 years ago.

No,modest is modest no matter where or when you have lived.

No,modest is modest no matter where or when you have lived.

This is so undeniably false.

what you view as modest is based on where and when you live, nothing else. 

I have seen what is modest change in the half century I have been alive.  

had you been born a couple hundred years ago anything less than this would have not been modest.

$T2eC16RHJHIE9nyseHDCBQ8c7+jwOg~~60_35.J  Today this is considered modest...shabby-apple-lete1.jpg

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

The style of clothing may change over time, but the definition of "modest" remains the same.

:amen:

In our hearts we all know what modesty means ...it's written on our hearts Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

The style of clothing may change over time, but the definition of "modest" remains the same.

In our hearts we all know what modesty means ...it's written on our hearts Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

and had you been born 200 years ago your heart would have known something different than it know now.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

and had you been born 200 years ago your heart would have known something different than it know now.

what is in your mind? what picture do you see when you think of how The Lord clothed Adam and Eve?