• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,004
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1906

Dragons belong to the mythology of many cultures and in recent literature. Were they real? What happened to them? Are they represented by fossills known as dinosaurs? Did they breath fire and not use it on humans (all things are possible with God) and were some even friendly?

I've been wondering this for ages. If it's been covered here, can someone give me a link??

Thanks bunches :24:

Faithie :24:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Hi Faithie: I love this kind of stuff. A scientist wrote a book a few years ago proposing that there were indeed firebreathing dragons. He proposed that they saved up some of the combustable methane from digestive processes and stored it in a 'tank' in the throat, while other organs worked to produce heat (possibly even a spark) rather like the mechanism in the Bombadier Beetle. The bouyancy caused by the storing of large quantities of lighter than air gas also gave them the ability to fly with smaller wings.

If I remember correctly the book was called THE FLIGHT OF THE DRAGON.

Guest Thomas I believe
Hi Faithie:  I love this kind of stuff.  A scientist wrote a book a few years ago proposing that there were indeed firebreathing dragons.  He proposed that they saved up some of the combustable methane from digestive processes and stored it in a 'tank' in the throat, while other organs worked to produce heat (possibly even a spark) rather like the mechanism in the Bombadier Beetle.  The bouyancy caused by the storing of large quantities of lighter than air gas also gave them the ability to fly with smaller wings.

If I remember correctly the book was called THE FLIGHT OF THE DRAGON.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leonard, I had heard that same thing about this subject. I forget the authors but there a couple books of reference on this matter. It is an intresting question. If dragons did exist were they a dinosaur or an entity of there own.. Hmm I wonder

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  344
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

In Job 40:15-41:34 The Almighty God says to Job,

15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.

16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.

19 He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.

20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.

21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.

22 The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.

23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.

24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

Job 41

1 Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?

2 Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?

3 Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee?

4 Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever?

5 Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?

6 Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants?

7 Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears?

8 Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more.

9 Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him?

10 None is so fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me?

11 Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.

12 I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion.

13 Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle?

14 Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about.

15 His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.

16 One is so near to another, that no air can come between them.

17 They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.

18 By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.

19 Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.

20 Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron.

21 His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.

22 In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him.

23 The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved.

24 His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone.

25 When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves.

26 The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon.

27 He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood.

28 The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble.

29 Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear.

30 Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire.

31 He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment.

32 He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary.

33 Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear.

34 He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride.

Notice Job 41:18-21 God talks about what I believe is a fire breathing dinosaur. I believe before the name dinosaurs was invented before people called dinosaurs ''dragons''. The King James version of The Holy Bible the word ''dragon'' is mentioned. The KJV was made in 1611 before the word ''dinosaur'' was invented.

Here's some of the verses about dragons in The Holy Bible.

Deuteronomy 32:33

Their wine is the poison of dragons, and the cruel venom of asps.

Job 30:29

I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls.

Psalm 44:19

Though thou hast sore broken us in the place of dragons, and covered us with the shadow of death.

Psalm 74:13

Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters.

Psalm 148:7

Praise the LORD from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps:

Isaiah 13:22

And the wild beasts of the islands shall cry in their desolate houses, and dragons in their pleasant palaces: and her time is near to come, and her days shall not be prolonged.

Isaiah 34:13

And thorns shall come up in her palaces, nettles and brambles in the fortresses thereof: and it shall be an habitation of dragons, and a court for owls.

Isaiah 35:7

And the parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water: in the habitation of dragons, where each lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.

Isaiah 43:20

The beast of the field shall honour me, the dragons and the owls: because I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen.

Jeremiah 9:11

And I will make Jerusalem heaps, and a den of dragons; and I will make the cities of Judah desolate, without an inhabitant.

Jeremiah 10:22

Behold, the noise of the bruit is come, and a great commotion out of the north country, to make the cities of Judah desolate, and a den of dragons.

Jeremiah 14:6

And the wild asses did stand in the high places, they snuffed up the wind like dragons; their eyes did fail, because there was no grass.

Jeremiah 49:33

And Hazor shall be a dwelling for dragons, and a desolation for ever: there shall no man abide there, nor any son of man dwell in it.

Jeremiah 51:37

And Babylon shall become heaps, a dwellingplace for dragons, an astonishment, and an hissing, without an inhabitant.

Micah 1:8

Therefore I will wail and howl, I will go stripped and naked: I will make a wailing like the dragons, and mourning as the owls.

Malachi 1:3

And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/11/1978

The books is 'The Flight of Dragons' by Peter Dickinson. I have a copy here at home. It is well-written and very entertaining. I also don't believe it is anything more. I don't think the author intended it to be taken (scientifically) seriously. For one thing, he uses mythology and fiction as well as historical accounts to formulate his theories. If you like dragons, though, this one is a must-read.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Yes, jcm! That's the book! The fellow was a scientist, but mostly the book is really entertaining. It develops a possible (maybe just barely possible, but fun) theory to explain this stuff.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,004
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  01/31/1906

'The Flight of Dragons' by Peter Dickinson. Could you guys get me the Publisher details of this so I can either purchase it or ask my local library to get it in? Is it written from a Christian perspective?

Faithie

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Well I think the Pterasaurs were a type of non-fire breathers. just my opinion on this. But I think Indeed there were dragons :D:D

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/11/1978

Hmm, I don't think it's written from a Christian viewpoint. Here's the publishing info:

First published in 1979 by PIERROT PUBLISHING LIMITED and THE NEW ENGLISH LIBRARY LIMITED 17 Oakley Road, London N. 1. and Barnard's Inn, London E.C. 1.

ISBN: 0 905310 32 2

I don't know if that address is current.

Leonard, it is quite a lot of fun. :wub: I loved the way he 'explained' why there aren't any dragon fossils or dragon cave paintings to be found anywhere. :24: