bfloydo

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

In this scene of the bible we are shown the picture of Jesus wrung with anguish as he shared the anguish of the human heart.  To the Greek reader, that little sentence "Jesus wept" would be the most astonishing thing in an astonishing story.  That the Son of God could weep would be almost beyond belief.

Jesus asked that the stone of the tomb be removed. Martha could think of only one reason for opening the tomb-that Jesus whished to look on the face of his dead friend for the last time. Martha could see no consolation there. She pointed out that Lazarus had been in the tomb for four days. The point is this. It was Jewish belief that the spirit of the departed hovered around the tomb for four days, seeking an entrance again into the body. But after four days the spirit finally left, for the face of the body was so decayed that it could no longer be recognized.

Then Jesus spoke his word of command which even death was powerless to oppose. And as Charles Wesley put it: "He speaks, and, listening to his voice, New life the dead receive."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

John 11

33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping , and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled , 34 And said , Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see . 35 Jesus wept . 36 Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! 37 And some of them said , Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died ? 38 Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave .

Looking in the context of the passage, I see one or two things going on in Jesus' heart.

1. He was grieving with those who grieved. Notice that He first "groaned in the spirit" when He saw Mary and the others weeping? I know what it is like to have my emotions pulled by the emotions of others. Perhaps He felt their sadness, and perhaps He knew they, especially Mary, needed Him to grieve with them?

2. Based on what John wrote, it seems as if it they were about 1 week away from the Passover season - the very one which would lead to Jesus' own death. He knew His time was coming. Perhaps the dynamics of people grieving the death of a loved one and taking Him to the tomb pulled on His awareness that soon He would be the one whose body was in the grave?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/23/1957

John 11

33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping , and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled , 34 And said , Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see . 35 Jesus wept . 36 Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! 37 And some of them said , Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died ? 38 Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave .

Looking in the context of the passage, I see one or two things going on in Jesus' heart.

1. He was grieving with those who grieved. Notice that He first "groaned in the spirit" when He saw Mary and the others weeping? I know what it is like to have my emotions pulled by the emotions of others. Perhaps He felt their sadness, and perhaps He knew they, especially Mary, needed Him to grieve with them?

2. Based on what John wrote, it seems as if it they were about 1 week away from the Passover season - the very one which would lead to Jesus' own death. He knew His time was coming. Perhaps the dynamics of people grieving the death of a loved one and taking Him to the tomb pulled on His awareness that soon He would be the one whose body was in the grave?

Good points, of course in both cases they where raised and grief turned to Joy, both cases he said it would come to be....maybe he had thoughts of how much we grief needlessly, which might be rooted in our lack of or little faith.... maybe a mixture of all things mentioned in these posts but, all seem rooted in his Love for God's children.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Jesus wept because He had compassion and can sympathize with our weakness. Jesus wept because he loved the world so much and despised sin enough to give His life for the salvation, sanctification, and justification of those who would believe. :thumbsup:

Hebrews 4:14-16

14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/23/1957

Jesus wept because He had compassion and can sympathize with our weakness. Jesus wept because he loved the world so much and despised sin enough to give His life for the salvation, sanctification, and justification of those who would believe. :thumbsup:

14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Perhaps, but Jesus spoke of suffering this world and his followers would hate the world. I have read about God's Love for the world and Jesus Love for his followers.... maybe, just maybe... he wept and Groaned in spirit because of the lack of Faith in his closest followers and believers... I can see a multitude of reasons for the man to weep...including a demonstration of insufficient faith by those he taught and loved personally and in the flesh.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Perhaps, but Jesus spoke of suffering this world and his followers would hate the world. I have read about God's Love for the world and Jesus Love for his followers.... maybe, just maybe... he wept and Groaned in spirit because of the lack of Faith in his closest followers and believers... I can see a multitude of reasons for the man to weep...including a demonstration of insufficient faith by those he taught and loved personally and in the flesh.

This is true too brother. :thumbsup:

.... Jesus spoke of suffering this world and his followers would hate the world. I have read about God's Love for the world and Jesus Love for his followers.... maybe, just maybe... he wept and Groaned in spirit because of the lack of Faith in his closest followers and believers... I can see a multitude of reasons for the man to weep...including a demonstration of insufficient faith by those he taught and loved personally and in the flesh.

:thumbsup:

Amen

Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. John 11:32

Amen

When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept. John 11:33-35

Amen

Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.

And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. John 11:39-43