Budman

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Acts 16:29-31 says: "And he called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas, and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

My question is: Is this a guarantee, a promise, that everyone in a Christians house will be saved?

warm regards

-bud

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Hmmmm? Sure does make you wonder doesn't it, Bud.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

In the Greek nuclear family, whatever the father preaches was absolute truth. Thus if a father converted then the wife and children naturally believed that whatever he said was true and they soon followed after.

I remember hearing that once however to be honest I haven't done much of a study on it. Hopefully someone who has will find this topic.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I have mused about this one.

In the case of Cornelius in Acts 10, in verse 2 it says that Cornelius was a devout man and one who feared God with all his household.

In this case his whole household already feared God together with him, so it's not a hard leap to imagine that they believed together with him also when Peter came and spoke the word to them.

Acts 16 is different because this was the Phillipian jailer. So here they are in prison, the earthquake came, the doors are all open, and the jailer is begging for salvation. Then it says:

So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Then it says:

16:32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house.

Did they go to the jailer's house between verse 31 & 32?

In 33 it says that then "he took then the same hour of the night and washed their stripes, and immediately he and all his family were baptized."

Here he had definitely brought them home.

Regardless of the location and order of the events, how did Paul know that his whole household would be saved? What if one of the family members had not believed?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

My personal opinion is that Paul is saying that whomever believes on the Lord Jesus will be saved. The man asked what he must do to be saved. Paul tells him to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and his household. A couple of verses later, Paul shares the good news with his household and they were baptized and saved. I don't believe that a family was called to follow Christ just because the father/husband was called. God calls each person individually, not corporately. It doesn't tell sus in Acts that the jailer was saved, and therefore so was his household, without them hearing the good news and being called themselves.

May God's grace, power and peace be with you,

Ron

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Thank-you all for your replies. :D

Ron, I think what you posted is the answer I was looking for. :)

warm regards

-bud