• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

This is my precious sister in the Lord"God bless you sister"Kathy"iam bless by your replied,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

19DuggarFan the only thing you need to know aboout whether or not ALL Christians have the authority is Mark 16:17-18. Jesus said ALL (I repeat ALL) those who BELIEVE would speak in tongues. That doesn't leave any Christian a way to escape the validity of speaking in tongues and whether or not it is God's will. That Scripture 100% proves it is Jesus' will (the Father's will) for ALL Believers for all time to speak in tongues.

So by using these verses you're claiming that all Christinas should have the gift of speaking in tongues? Do all cast out demons, drink poison unnafected, and lay hands on the sick for recovery? Curious as to what you think.

Mark 16:17-18

17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Question: Why are tongues the only gift that people claim can be or is for self-edification?

1 Corinthians 14:4

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

19DuggarFan the only thing you need to know aboout whether or not ALL Christians have the authority is Mark 16:17-18. Jesus said ALL (I repeat ALL) those who BELIEVE would speak in tongues. That doesn't leave any Christian a way to escape the validity of speaking in tongues and whether or not it is God's will. That Scripture 100% proves it is Jesus' will (the Father's will) for ALL Believers for all time to speak in tongues.

So by using these verses you're claiming that all Christinas should have the gift of speaking in tongues? Do all cast out demons, drink poison unnafected, and lay hands on the sick for recovery? Curious as to what you think.

17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

I will put my 2 cents into this, if you don't mind GE. I believe all can do these things when led by the spirit. Jesus didn't do what he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it, speaking his own words. Jesus did what the father told him, when the father told him to do it, speaking the words the father said to say. I think the same applies to all of these things. If and when we get out on our own, then that is when we are wrong. All these things should and will happen through us when we follow the leading of God. That way it happens in his time, according to his will. I hope this makes sense to you.

Might want to read 1 Corinthians 12 - 14.

The Holy Spirit decides who gets what gifts, not man.

Again, gifts are for the common good and yes they're given by God who empowers them in everyone. Would you agree?

1 Cor. 12:4-7

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.

As not everyone is an apostle, prophet, teacher, etc. we shouldn't expect everyone in the Body of Christ to be given the gift of tongues. Don't you think?

1 Cor. 27-31

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts.

Is this one aimed at me, or Rodain?

I don't have an issue with what you posted, GE. Not everyone is called to the same things, and its still the Holy Spirit who decides who gets what gifts and empowers those gifts. The gifts are to be used in the body for building one another up, i.e. for the common good.

I can't count the number of times I've had sincere people say I'm going to hell because I haven't spoken in tongues -- but that's not my gift, it wasn't my decision, and I'm okay with that. I'd have to say that both the Lord and the Holy Spirit know more about what they are doing than I do.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Jerry, you are right in standing on Mark 16:17-18 - there is no way out of that for any Believer.

I think I already put this up on here, but it is crystal clear in Scripture that there is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit speaking in tongues (Mark 16 and the 4 places in Acts) and there is the GIFT of speaking in tongues (which goes hand in hand with the understanding of tongues).

So to sum up: 2 DIFFERENT KINDS OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES.

And the Holy Spirit does not decide which gifts anyone gets (Paul says YOU desire them - he could not say this and have God publish it as His Word if you were not able to walk in ALL of them, as YOU seek them) - you have the Holy Spirit in you, correct? He is the One with all the gifts - every one of these gifts is in you at the moment of the new birth.

But most Believers let them lie dormant; the same as if I gave you 9 cars - if you only drive 1 it doesn't mean you don't have the other 8, it means you don't use them or seek to use them. I personally have walked, so far, in the gifts of healing, faith, miracles, words of wisdom, words of knowledge, discerning of spirits and prophecy. And I speak in tongues, but have not received a message from the Lord to His local body of Christ here yet ( that would be the GIFT).

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

And I am Blessed too, by you, my brother, Jerry!!! Whew...There is a work going on in you!!! My my...Thank You, Jesus!

I have just been Blessed...so much...Thank you my brothers and sisters! God has allowed me to drive a few cars in my time with Him...It's just a wonderful time!!!

Much love to you In Him...

....but have not received a message from the Lord to His local body of Christ here yet....

~

Beloved,

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; Mark 16:17-18

I Beg To Difference

Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. 1 Corinthians 14:12

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Firstly, I didn't claim what you said - Jesus did. Jesus is the speaker in those verses and He cannot lie. SO if He said ALL those who believe would do all 5 of those things, then yes, I believe Jesus.

I would never throw away a gift given to me by Jesus. And when He says what I would do as a Believer, I'm obliged to expect to walk in those things.

If I gave you 5 million dollars, and you didn't use them, but let them sit dormant, would I then say you are only a half-Christian because you didn't use the money? No, you're still a Christian, it's just you didn't use what was available to you.

If you were the Red Sox baseball team and you had Koji Uehara available to you to close the games, but you didn't use him, it would be a bad decision, but it's your decision. Would you end up winning the World Series, probably not. Would you still be a baseball team, yes.

All I know is, if God says I would speak in tongues, then I'm going to do it. I do not know why anyone would turn that down, just reading the Scriptures. Anything offered you by God is going to be His will for your life and consequently good.

In Jesus' own words, any Believer has the authority and ability to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues.

AND*******For the 3rd time on here (because many people are posting without reading clearly): there is the GIFT of speaking in tongues (which goes hand in hand with the GIFT of understanding of tongues) to deliver a message to the local Body of Christ as Paul describes in 1 Cor, and SECONDLY, there is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (where Jesus said not many days from now I will baptize you with FIRE) and evidence was the speaking of tongues which He said ALL Believers had access to and it would be a sign that would follow them.

I hope that's clear. What people are warring against on here is the gift of tongues as 1 of the 9 gifts, not the prayer language that Paul said he would sing in, praise in, speak in.