• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Church membership, as opposed to just going to church?

I have never been, or been made a "member" of a church. I am on the leadership team of my church but have never signed anything or been read anything that denotes me as a "member".

We kind of just attend, most of us for 10 years or more and we don't talk about members in our church at all.

So simple question. What is this member thing as opposed to long term attendance?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

I was attending a  wonderful big popular church..My daughter was going with me.We were told several things to do to become a member of the church which were really wanted to do.It took us alot of time to achieve these things.Then the night came when the members were recognized.My daughter and I were really looking forward to it.But when we opened the program we noticed that our names were not on it.We asked one of the Elders.He said "Oh no you have to be interviewed by the elders".Not only was i disillusioned but I was highly disappionted and so was my daughter.We said forget it.We will just attend.I don't think Jesus would like that.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

I have never been a member of a church either. The church I attend (irregular attendance at best) does the membership thing. Not sure what it is about...was never interested. My father, who is a preacher, NOT a pastor, never got involved in membership, and he has attended the same church since I was born. He just doesn't take to the whole membership idea.

I have somehow understood the membership idea as more of a tithe thing...you are expected as a member to tithe to that church only...but May gift to other things. I have never been one to tithe, we put a few dollars in when the offering plate goes around, but my real " tithe" goes directly to people I know are in need...be they strangers or known to us.

I may be totally wrong in this assumption of membership though. I am interested in hearing more about the membership roles as well

I was attending a  wonderful big popular church..My daughter was going with me.We were told several things to do to become a member of the church which were really wanted to do.It took us alot of time to achieve these things.Then the night came when the members were recognized.My daughter and I were really looking forward to it.But when we opened the program we noticed that our names were not on it.We asked one of the Elders.He said "Oh no you have to be interviewed by the elders".Not only was i disillusioned but I was highly disappionted and so was my daughter.We said forget it.We will just attend.I don't think Jesus would like that.

I would've walked out and never looked back. If church membership is decided according to our works, odds are the church's focus is on works and not the Gospel.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

seeing no difference really member or not, and if a church made a big deal out of it. I would probably stop attending the church. Simply because it gives me the impression that they care more about the numbers.

seeing no difference really member or not, and if a church made a big deal out of it. I would probably stop attending the church. Simply because it gives me the impression that they care more about the numbers.

For many churches today, numbers equate to dollars. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  201
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I once went to a church that had an 'attendance sheet' passed around where you signed your name. However, like others, I never officially 'signed' anything to become a 'member'.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I was a member of a large church for 7 years  Memberships was required to join any ministry.

As a member you were requested to attend a new members class.

The classes provided some foundation christian teaching, and church history. The church was 104 years old, and it was on its 4th Pastor.   Membership provided a greater level of communication with what the church was doing in the community, and around the world along with providing an avenue for getting connected and involved. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

For many churches today, numbers equate to dollars. 

The church I was going to was always asking for money for something or other.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

My name was placed in the "membership" book in the last church I attended ..without even being consulted about it.

The only book with my name in it that matters to me is "the Lamb's book of Life" :mgcheerful: