The Lie of Hannukah

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

In Hebrew an agada is a legend. The oral Torah is full of them. From Rebecca being only three years old when she met Isaac, to the two stones of Jacob's ladder becoming one. Many Jewish scholars see agadot as "it could've happened this way." While many ultra-orthodox see it as undeniable as scripture. Let us now explore Judaism's most believed agada... the miracle of the oil at Hannukah.

While personally I believe in miracles for today, I also believe in truth. As a messianic teaching the christian world about Jewish Roots, the Hannukah miracle is one of the most convenient messages to convey. How I wish it were true!

To the readers who may see this as an attack... take some time and read the book of Macabees (the original story). Try to find the miracle of Hannukah. It is not there! It is not even hinted at! While it is there that they celebrated the feast of Tabernacles late, it is not there that there was no oil.

My wife did a deeper study to find how the miracle story came about. After loosing the Bar Kochkva and other revolts while these started inspired by the Macabees victory just a century before... the rabis came up with a plan. They knew they were risking the existence of many Jewish people if they were to loose another revolt. What was the plan? Change the theme of Hannukah. Change it from righteous revolt to a miracle story. Thus the agada of Hannukah of the oil came about. Truly G-d wants us to learn to stand for righteousness during this season, and it will not be blotted out or watered down by a lie believed for centuries.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Hello Jewisheart, I guess you could say the same about Christmas. Right?

Guest shiloh357
In Hebrew an agada is a legend. The oral Torah is full of them. From Rebecca being only three years old when she met Isaac, to the two stones of Jacob's ladder becoming one. Many Jewish scholars see agadot as "it could've happened this way." While many ultra-orthodox see it as undeniable as scripture. Let us now explore Judaism's most believed agada... the miracle of the oil at Hannukah.

While personally I believe in miracles for today, I also believe in truth. As a messianic teaching the christian world about Jewish Roots, the Hannukah miracle is one of the most convenient messages to convey. How I wish it were true!

To the readers who may see this as an attack... take some time and read the book of Macabees (the original story). Try to find the miracle of Hannukah. It is not there! It is not even hinted at! While it is there that they celebrated the feast of Tabernacles late, it is not there that there was no oil.

My wife did a deeper study to find how the miracle story came about. After loosing the Bar Kochkva and other revolts while these started inspired by the Macabees victory just a century before... the rabis came up with a plan. They knew they were risking the existence of many Jewish people if they were to loose another revolt. What was the plan? Change the theme of Hannukah. Change it from righteous revolt to a miracle story. Thus the agada of Hannukah of the oil came about. Truly G-d wants us to learn to stand for righteousness during this season, and it will not be blotted out or watered down by a lie believed for centuries.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be interested in seeing the evidence for this. Are there any links you can provide? What are the names of the books/authorities that you are using to arrive that this conclusion?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Well even if it is...so what? I mean, a lot of holidays we have are like that.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Super Jew...

Well even if it is...so what? I mean, a lot of holidays we have are like that

The idea of perpetuating a myth as truth should be a good enough reason...especially as many good Christian folk are looking at their Jewish roots with renewed interest. Fortunately we don't need the festival of Hannukah to demonstrate that our G-d is an awesome G-d of miracles...and providing extra oil for a week is a small thing.

I agree with Shiloh...it would be good to have some other resources...although I take the point that any indication of this is sadly lacking in Maccabees.

There is much in the oral Torah that is instructive and throws light on many of the Biblical stories and personages...but there is a whole lot that is very misleading if it is taken as gospel ...so to speak. We should never be worried about searching for the truth.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

How do you know? Many History records were destroyed when Israel was destroyed after Christ left, in i think 500 something A.D.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

70 AD

Hey, all I know is Adam Sandler was able to make a really cool song out of Chanukah...so I'm not going to complain or challenge it. :whistling:

Guest shiloh357

Hey Jewishheart,

I would still be interested in seeing your research concerning the miracle of the menorah. Are you going to give something to support your allegation, or are we just forced to take your word for it? I just want some links or the names and page numbers of books that I can read.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Shiloh,

My wife had the evidence from her college here in Israel. Her professor was a former orthodox who became traditional (like conservative in America) and has a degree in Oral Torah. She lost the information but is now scrambling to search for it. As soon as she finds it, I will give you the resources. In the meantime, I will try to look through google on the internet.

Sean

Guest shiloh357
Shiloh,

My wife had the evidence from her college here in Israel. Her professor was a former orthodox who became traditional (like conservative in America) and has a degree in Oral Torah. She lost the information but is now scrambling to search for it. As soon as she finds it, I will give you the resources. In the meantime, I will try to look through google on the internet.

Sean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent, thank you!! :blink: