IGNORED

Do people who commit suicide go to hell?

Guest Locke

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Locke,

Let me tell you a story. I have told it on this forum before and it is probably buried in the archives.

Several years ago, my daughter had a friend that committed suicide. He, his mother and the rest of the family attended our church. They were all dear to us. I attended the memorial service and my heart was just broken because of the hurt and pain it caused to the family and so many others. Senseless. It was over a girlfriend (and in front of her) when she rejected him and he pulled out a gun a killed himself.

I sat in the pew just praying, tears kept welling up over my sadness. I had always been told that suicide is the murder of someone made in God's image, and there was no hope for the young man. How could I offer any solice to the family? My heart was just crushed with no words that would come. As I sat there praying, the Holy Spirit brought these Words to mind:

1 Corinthians 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

I immediately understood, even though the "context" didn't match the situation, here was a young man pulled and torn by emotions and hormones that were beyond his control.

I once was on medication that produced suicidal thoughts, and I immediately called the doctor and told him. Of course, he told me to stop taking those meds and come and see him the very next day. Suicide was one of the problems with this particular medication on a few people.

I learned by that experience that a chemical imbalance in the body can produce unwanted results.

And so this young man, I believe, was acting beyond his control. The above verse gave me solice, that I had been wrong about suicides sending a person to perdition. It was in God's hands, and since the young man had at one time professed Jesus Christ as Savior, I was able to offer solice to the family with complete sincerity that I believed he was with God now.

Suicide is never the answer for anything. Life is too precious and like all things, wait around, time changes all things. God knows the heart of that young man, we don't, but there is HOPE that he too is with the Lord.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fiverottendogs

Hey locke I first want to say I am sorry for you losing your friend. I know that is hurting you right now and I lift you up in prayer. I do believe though that he is in heaven as we speak. It still doesn't take away your pain and the fact that you are missing him though.

Alot of Christians wonder how another Christian that has Christ in his heart and life can get so depressed they could take their own life. I used to be one of them but not anymore. Let me share something with you.

My father was diagnosed with cancer December 2003 and was put in the hospital in June 2004. I was going to work in the day and going to the hospital at night until about 10pm, coming home and then starting all over again-doing this for 4 weeks. My father came home to hospice care. Right after my father came home in July my husband of 8 years decided to leave me. Said he had been unhappy for the last 2 years and needed time to think about what he wanted to do next. Said

ok and gave him some space but little did I know he had a girlfriend and was doing drugs. 2 days later my father past away. I asked my husband to come back home and he said no. The day after my father died I took one of my five dogs to the vet because he was sick. The day we buried my dad, I took my husband to the hospital for emergency surgery (the dr told him if he had waited one more day he would have died), while my husband was in surgery, I call the vet and the dog has cancer so I had to put him to sleep. My husband was in the hospital for 1 week. Again me going to work in the morning and spending all night at the hospital. Took him home and took care of him for 1 week and then he left again, me and my daughter had to move from our home because I couldn't afford the note by myself, then I had to have hernia surgery and was out of work for 3 weeks, then my husband told me he wanted a divorce. WHAT A SUMMER I HAD!!! All of this happening in 3 months time!!!

I had to go a Christian counselor because I was so depressed about it all. Maybe some people don't think that a Christian should be depressed or go to counseling but let me tell you it really helped me because I was at the point where my mind was so full of darkness and wanting to end it all. I couldn't sleep with the lights off, I couldn't be home by myself, I couldn't sleep good, couldn't eat, was crying all the time-it was horrible. I was writing poems about suicide. BUT I am so much better now.

The point is that until someone goes through an extremely traumatic experience such as your friend did they can never know why a person would do such a thing.

It is an extremely horrible and lonely time because you know that what you are feeling is totally against God. Even though I knew God would be there no matter what I still could not shake the depression. I just could feel in my spirit the war going on inside.

When you think suicide can't happen to your Christian friends or family members-think again. It happened to Locke's friend and it happens more than we want to admit in our churches. It almost happened to me but by God's grace I am still here. PLEASE if you ever know someone in a severe depressed state of course the best thing to do is lift them up and pray for them but have them seek Christian counseling. You might save their life.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

I had to go a Christian counselor because I was so depressed about it all. Maybe some people don't think that a Christian should be depressed or go to counseling but let me tell you it really helped me because I was at the point where my mind was so full of darkness and wanting to end it all. I couldn't sleep with the lights off, I couldn't be home by myself, I couldn't sleep good, couldn't eat, was crying all the time-it was horrible. I was writing poems about suicide. BUT I am so much better now.

I dunno...David was a man after God's own heart yet he was often depressed and even suicidal...so I think you're in good company. :whistling:

Guest fiverottendogs

Thanks Super Jew I never even really thought about that. But even though I was in good company, it still was not easy going through that. I hope I am never that depressed again. I can't tell you how bad it was.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

Thanks Super Jew I never even really thought about that.  But even though I was in good company, it still was not easy going through that.  I hope I am never that depressed again.  I can't tell you how bad it was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't even want to imagine how bad it was. One book that I've often read and suggested others read while under trials is the book of Job. Man....it's just so honest.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I don't think that a true born again christian would commit suicide. We as born again christians are able to face tomorrow because of Jesus. If the Lord intended for a suffering christian to have another day, He would give that christian the where with all to face that day and to get through it, after all, the Lord is our Shepherd. I don't think that a born again christian should go see a counselor either, they should go to "Dr. Jesus", for He can fix anything, after all, He is the Wonderful Counselor {Isaiah 9:6}. Remember, Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid". {John 14:27}. Jesus is the Prince of Peace, and the "great physician". If a professing christian did commit suicide, there is great concern if he or she was really born again or not.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

Hello Locke, I always thought that suicide was an unforgivable sin, I'd been taught that in the church I was raised in.

Then 30+ years later I had a pastor say that if we think for one minute that we will have no unconfessed sin in our hearts the moment we die, we are just fooling ourselves. Sin is sin in God's eyes.

Not only that but we all have a God-given instinct to survive. A person who commits suicide is not in their right mind, and I am sure God does not hold them accountable, Colleen

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Salt & Light,

Either you are young or very naive. In any case, I think you need to develop some maturity before dispensing advice to another Christian, or to anyone for that matter.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

Greetings Salt & Light,

Either you are young or very naive. In any case, I think you need to develop some maturity before dispensing advice to another Christian, or to anyone for that matter.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd rather be young and naive than old and arrogant. While I don't agree with what salt/light said necessarily...neither do I agree with how you responded. There are gracious ways of disagreeing with ppl and calling themnaive and immature isn't one of them.

Guest fiverottendogs

Salt & Light

I do not agree that a Christian person should not go to a "Christian" counselor. But I do agree that a Christian should go to Dr. God first. Since you do not know me or how my relationship with God is how can you judge me or anyone that would seek counseling? I did go to God first every morning when I got up. And all through out the day I was in prayer. I am highly involved at my church in alot of activities but mostly in our youth group. I know that I have a strong relationship with God. I am still seeking God in the situation.

A counselor is just like talking to a friend only they are experienced in helping you sort through your feelings. Do you share your problems with your friends, your spouse, your family, your church family or pastor? Then what's the difference in sharing it with a counselor?

Yes Jesus is the Great Physican and He did give me strength for each and every day but that didn't mean I still did not have a deep hurt in my soul. After what happened to me this summer and all I went through there would not be anyone who could go through that and say they were totally ok-no pain no hurt. I don't care who they are. Pain and hurt are a part of life even for a Christian person.

I hurt so bad that if I wasn't a Christian I would have killed myself. The only thing that kept me going was the hope that Jesus promised a brighter tomorrow and I knew the darkness would only last for awhile and then I would come out on the other side where the sun was shining.

BUT we all have a right to our opinions and I respect your right to say what you believe.