IGNORED

Do people who commit suicide go to hell?

Guest Locke

Guest sampley
This is a question i ask myself alot. I know it's a sin and i know it's wrong. But under certain extreme circumstances it's at least understandable.

I have a friend who battled with an illness(chronic insomnia, panic attacks) since he was 18. He killed himself a short while ago at the age of 22. I knew him very well and he was such a great person. And it was something that was not under his control which caused him to go so far as to commit suicide. It's not like he just gave up either, he fought and fought and fought but nothing helped.

In fact he started getting more and more religious as his illness went on and got worse. I think he would have killed himself a long time ago if he wasnt so torn with the issue.

So anyways, he was a Christian, he was saved...and he asked for forgiveness for all his sins including what he was about to do. This to me is not a person who deserves to go to hell.

I'd like some input from other Christians on this issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is such a great question and so very easy to answer.Look to Jn10:28"And I give them eternal life(those who believe in Jesus)and they shall never perish:neither shall anyone snatch them from my hand."This verse makes it clear that once you accept Jesus He will never let you go--He knows we will sin while we are on this earth suicide is just another sin of many that separates us from God if it wasnt for Jesus.. :emot-hug:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Madaline Rose

(quote)He was a Christian, he was saved...and he asked for forgiveness for all his sins including what he was about to do. This to me is not a person who deserves to go to hell. I'd like some input from other Christians on this issue.

I realize that this has been posted for awhile, but I felt compelled to respond to it. First I wish to say how very sorry I am for such a tragic loss. Losing a friend or a loved one is never easy, especially when there are questions like this to make it even more difficult. Suicide is not a sin in God's eyes, unless it was done for spite to hurt someone. Then it becomes a selfish and thoughtless act, which is unforgiveable to God. Anything done purposely to hurt another is against God's rules. I hope this helps anyone else who may still be wondering about this topic.

In God's Light,

Mary Madaline

• 3 months later...
Guest theLAYMAN

JESUS DIED FOR ALL SINS.

HE WAS TEMEPTED BY ALL OF THESE SINS YET HE DID NOT COMMIT ANY SINS.

JESUS WAS TEMPTED WITH MURDER, HOMOSEXUALITY, RAPE, CHILD MOLESTATION, MASTERBATION JUST TO NAME A FEW OF THE MORE HARDER SINS (WELL AT LEAST ACCORDING TO MAN) (TO GOD ALL SIN IS SIN)

HE WAS TEMPTED WITH SUICIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT HE NEVER DID IT. BECAUSE HE IS WITHOUT SIN. HE IS OUR PERFECT SACRIFICE.

A REAL CHRISTIAN CAN SIN. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THE BIBLE TRULY SAYS.

(READ ALL OF THE BOOK OF 1ST JOHN REAL CLOSELY)

PEOPLE EXPRESS THEIR SIN NATURES IN DIFFERENT WAYS.

NOT ALL SIN EFFECTS OR AFFECTS PEOPLE IN THE SAME WAY.

SOME PEOPLE RAPE OTHER PEOPLE BUT DON'T GOSSIP. SOME PEOPLE LIE, CHEAT, AND STEAL, BUT DON'T KILL PEOPLE. SOME PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE BUT DON'T FORNICATE.

THE POINT IS WE ARE ALL AFFECTED BY DIFFERENT SINS. LOOK AT ALL OF THE GODLY PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE, THEY ALL HAD DIFFERENT SINFUL PROBLEMS.

A REAL CHRISTIAN CAN COMMIT SUICIDE AND STILL GO TO HEAVEN, LIKE A REAL CHRISTIAN CAN COMMIT MURDER AND STILL GO TO HEAVEN.

FIRST, AS IT DESCRIBES IN THE BOOK OF JAMES HOW NO MAN IS TEMPTED BY GOD, BUT BY HIS OWN DESIRES AND LUST, THIS CAN AND DOES APPLY TO CHRISTIANS.

IF SOMEONE OUT HERE HAS A WEAKNESS TOWARD SUICIDAL THOUGHTS AND THEY ARE SAVED, AND ONE DAY THEY GIVE IN TO THESE THOUGHTS AND KILL THEMSELVES, WELL JESUS HAS THAT SITUATION COVERED TOO.

HE HAS TO HAVE, OTHERWISE, THE BIBLE ISN'T TRUE THAT HE DIED FOR ALL SINS.

A PERSON WHO COMMITS FORNICATION IS NO DIFFERENT THAN A PERSON WHO COMMITS SUICIDE IN THE SENSE THAT SIN IS SIN. SO WHAT IF A PERSON COMMITS FORNICATION BY GIVING IN TO TEMPTATION IS THAT REALLY ANY DIFFERENT THAN A PERSON COMMITING SUICIDE? THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE OUTCOME OF THESE TWO DIFFERENT SINS. SUICIDE ELIMINATES YOU FROM THIS SIDE OF REALITY WHERE AS FORNICATION BRINGS GRATIFICATION THROUGH SEXUAL PRACTICE. THE POINT IS JESUS HAS BOTH SINS COVERED IF YOU ARE A REAL CHRISTIAN.

IF A PERSON WHO LIVED THEIR LIVES FOR CHRIST GOT REALLY FRUSTRATED AND MAD AT SOMEBODY AND CUSSED THEM OUT WITH EVERY KNOWN CURSE WORD IN THE WORLD AND DIED OF A HEART ATTACK DURING THIS RAMPAGE, YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT JESUS CHRIST BLOOD DOESN'T COVER THIS PERSON REPENTING OF THIS SIN BEFORE THEY DIE?

BUT HERE'S THE CLENCHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIRST OF ALL, GOD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE

THE WHOLE ISSUE OVER HEAVEN AND HELL IS SETTLED ON THE CROSS WITH JESUS. ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED IS TOO TRUE. JESUS SAID THAT ETERNAL LIFE REST TOTALLY ON HIM. THERE IS NO THERE WAY TO GAIN OR GET IT. PERIOD. ONCE YOU HAVE IT, YOU CAN'T FORFIT IT, NO MATTER WHAT. BECAUSE IT'S THE HOLY SPIRIT WHO MAKES YOU ALIVE IN CHRIST ONCE YOU BELIEVE IN HIM.

THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR THIS REASON

THE HOLY SPIRIT CAN BE GRIEVED BUT HE NEVER LEAVES A REAL BELIEVER. NOW, A REAL BELIEVER CAN COMMIT SUICIDE, BUT THAT REAL BELIEVER WILL SUFFER LOSS

LOSS OF REWARD IN HEAVEN, LOSS OF THE ABILITY TO GAIN AND TO FULFILL MORE HERE FOR GOD, LOSS OF LIFE, WHICH, IF WE LOOK REAL CLOSELY AT SCRIPTURE, LIFE IS TO BE VALUED, BECAUSE GOD GIVES IT TO US TO SERVE HIM, LOSS TO SHOW ALL OF CREATION THE GLORY OF GOD AND JESUS' SALVATION IN THE WORLD.

IT IS A FEARFUL THING TO FALL INTO THE HANDS OF GOD AND SUFFER A FATE MUCH WORSE THAN DEATH

A FATE MUCH WORSE THAN DEATH? WHAT COULD THAT POSSIBLY BE?

JESUS WILL BE OUR JUDGE AND WE WILL GIVE AN ACCOUNT. SO KILLING ONESELF BECAUSE YOU GAVE IN TO YOUR TEMPTATION AND YOU SINNED IN THIS WAY WILL GARUTEE YOU LOSS OF REWARD.

REWARDS, REWARDS, REWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!! IS WHAT CHRISTIANS WILL EXPECT AT THE JUDGEMENT SEAT OF CHRIST. IT IS WHAT WE ARE LIVING OUR LIVES FOR IN CHRIST. NOT STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF WE ARE GOING TO HEAVEN OR HELL BY COMMITING SINS. EVEN SUICIDE. JESUS SETTLED ALL OF THAT ON THE CROSS. IF HE DIDN'T SOMEBODY LIED TO US WHO BELIEVES IN HIM.

CUZ GUESS WHAT? WE ALL FALL SHORT, MORE THAN WHAT WE REALIZE. IF IT WASN'T FOR THE BLOOD OF JESUS?????????????????????????????????

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢

A few millimeters to the left side of your Capital A button on your key board you will find a Button that says " Caps Lock" Press it once !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

I'm sure your friend is with the Lord. I am just sorry to see that there was someone who knew how to get him help. I know quite a few people who suffer the same kind of illness that you friend has. Most of them need medication to maintain equilibrium. I have heard the horror that runs through the minds of people that have chemical imbalances in the brain. They truly have hell on earth.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/09/1974

People seem to forget one thing. Jesus forgave sin ON THE CROSS. Any sin that we would commit has already been forgiven. When we confess and repent, we are acknowledging what we did was wrong and agreeing with God about it, and then work to change the direction we were going. That means if the person was truly a born again believer any sin they would commit was already forgiven.

Guest PistosHuios

Hmmm, a most difficult task indeed. It is interesting to see how we respond, mostly with grace, to this issue, and I presume rightfully so. With all honesty and sincerity I simply do not Know the answer to this question.

It is true, that if the person was saved, he went to heaven. However, the argument could also flow through and say if the person was saved he would not have commited suicide, and so on.

I'm reminded of the new Movie "Martin Luther" where a young boy commits suicide and Luther demands he be barried with the saved demanding "God must have mercy". It was a scene I walked away from perplexed, and confused. Not because of the action but of the historical accuracy, I'm not sure that ever happened, I do not know.

I am compelled to error on the side of compassion. But I think the real issue, for me, is man determining the salvation of others. If it will ease our minds for now that God does not punish those who take their own lives, let it be so. However, I think it unlikely that our position will matter much in eternity, and God's decision to punish, will be right and Just.

If the person was saved, it is so not because we believe it, but because God has declared it. Make no mistake, none will be lost by accident, none will suffer punishment unjustly. Man unjustly enters the kingdom because God chose to allow it.

IF the person enters the kingdom, God's grace is displayed, if not, his Justice. He will make the right decision, and I rest easy knowing it is He, and not I, who must make it!

So let us ease our concious not in saying all or none, and not in debating the Character of God, but in knowing that God is Good, and God is Right, His decision either way, will be the right one!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I do not think any of us knows for sure, but WHY oh WHY would we ever want to give the assurance that Yes, someone who is contemplating suicide, might misconstrue??? I do not know, and I would be more apt to say that one who commits suicide did not know the saving grace of the Lord? To usurp God's authority and power over one's created life, is baffling at the least.

A REAL CHRISTIAN CAN COMMIT SUICIDE AND STILL GO TO HEAVEN, LIKE A REAL CHRISTIAN CAN COMMIT MURDER AND STILL GO TO HEAVEN.

And my question to that would be, if a "real" Christian were committing murder, were they a "real" Christian??? If a person died in the middle of committing a vicious crime of murder against another, are you honestly going to say that they would wake up in heaven in the presence of the Lord, with His blessings?

Do true Christians "continue" to commit murder? If not, then how can a REAL Christian commit murder and still go to heaven? These do not agree with the doctrine and teachings of Christ. To Love! A Christian loves his brother, lest he is no Christian at all.

1 John 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.

11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, 12 not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous. 13 Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you.

14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Is murder of self included? I don't know, but I DO NOT want anyone to be mislead about suicide. It is an eternally risky act.

In His Truth,

Suzanne

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

How do you repent for killing yourself when you're dead? :emot-hug: