• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

Swoosh Said:

As I've mention to someone on this thread, I've gone through the process of asking whatever God may be out there to reveal himself. If he doesn't, not much I can do about that.

Multiple historical records that agree is not enough for you, so it appears that you would have to have been there. Further, countless millions have testified that God is real and they talk to Him every day. On top of that, the Holy Bible prooves itself thousands of times. With all that you reject, what could we possibly have to offer you?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1984

Swoosh, even a doctor of history would not require the level of evidence you are asking for. How on earth are we to prove the words exchanged between people who lived thousands of years ago? A tape recording?

There is no archaeological evidence for the book of Ruth, nor would I expect there to be since she and her husband were farmers. I sincerely doubt they built any obelisks or shrines to themselves thinking:

"Just in case we are included in the bible some day, we really out do leave some evidence that we existed love." 

"Jolly good dear, and be sure to write down every conversation we ever had."

I don't know why they have British accents in my head, but they do.

Some parts of the bible are supported via archaeology and some are not. Absence of evidence is not proof of absence, but a person is perfectly justified in asking for such. However a dialogue can only happen if both people are reasonable, and your standards are not.

Edited by MsRational

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

To answer that question, I would like to believe that people haven't been massively deceived by some kinda conspiracy to believe the Holocaust happened when it didn't, but I can't say with a large certainty that it did or didn't happen

Okay this is a problem.  When it comes to the holocaust, We have millions of people who were confirmed killed in the camps.  We have Germans' own written records that listed the names of the people and the camps they died in.  Those are German, not Jewish records.  We have films and we have the testimonies of German military personnel who participated.  We have the testimony of German civilians who participated.  We have mutliple historical confirmation.   We still have front page newspaper articles that have been preserved from major cities in the US that reported on the concentration camps.  American soldiers who liberated the camps tell of what they saw and the dead bodies, the mass graves and the starving survivors.  We have the diary of Anne Frank which NO historian in his right mind disputes as authentic.  There are hundreds of thousands of books that have been written by historians and survivors provide a plethora of evidence for the horrors of what happened to the Jews and also the nonJews that suffered.   Even today, Germany doesn't deny this part of their history.  It is undeniableThen there are the thousands and thousands of survivors who have told their stories of what they suffered and the family members they lost and you have the nerve to claim that you can't really be sure if it happened or not?

Here you are saying that you need historical corroboration to confirm a story's truth and when  then when you have a historical event for which there are mountains of historical corroboration, you still can't bring yourself to believe that it really happened.   I was correct in my intitial assessment of you and your unreasonable request. You aren't looking for truth.   For you, there is no amount of historical corroboration that would suffice.  No one of even moderate intelligence questions the reality and factuality of the holocuast. No one.    That you can look at the mountain of historical proof for the Holocaust and still not accept fully that it happens, doesn't speak well of you.

I guess you also don't believe that there used to be slavery in the US and you don't believe we actually sent a man to the moon, because in terms of sheer volume, there is less evidence for slavery or an American astronaut on the moon than there is  for the Holocaust.

When someone states they can't be certain that major historical happenings have occurred I can't help but dismiss that person as irrational.

"I can't be certain that the Civil War happened!"-- is this freshman philosophy?