• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I have dug into this one extensively.

First of all, the dilemma of Jesus keeping Passover Seder with his disciples and then the next day dying on the cross the day of Passover Seder is dealt with when you discover there are three Passover Seders in scripture. Well, two actual Seders, and a third traditional one. The second Passover Seder is to be kept one month after the Ceremonial Passover Seder for those unable to keep the Ceremonial one due to temporary uncleanness. The first Seder has been debated by Jewish leaders and scholars since Moses day... Is the actual Passover Seder on 14 Nisan or 15 Nisan? The biblical texts were ambiguous enough to win die hard proponents on both sides. 

In Jesus' day the solution was to have two Seders. The Seder on 14 Nisan for the commoners and travelers to Jerusalem from afar, and the official Seder 15 Nisan for the religious folk and the big wigs. This also helped with overcrowding in the Holy City.Interesting Jesus our Lord and Savior King of Kings kept the commoner's Seder with his disciples....

The first has been called the Galilean Seder.

I have heard the Hebrew account of partial days counting as whole days (Friday through Sunday) and I have heard the account of a literal 72 hours for the body of Jesus being in the tomb (Wednesday through Saturday sunset)

But what convinced me it was Thursday through Sunday was the road to Emmaus account "It IS the third day." Luke 24:21.

Passion+Week.jpg

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  514
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/07/1989

I have heard the Hebrew account of partial days counting as whole days (Friday through Sunday) and I have heard the account of a literal 72 hours for the body of Jesus being in the tomb (Wednesday through Saturday sunset)

But what convinced me it was Thursday through Sunday was the road to Emmaus account "It IS the third day." Luke 24:21.

Passion+Week.jpg

If Jesus was placed crucified on Thursdy then we will have 

Friday Night 

Friday day 

saturday night 

saturday day 

Sunday morning Jesus was not in the tomb it was empty when the ladies came at the rising of the sun 

Therefore we only have  2 nights and  days 

Take care 

Passion+Week.jpg

If Jesus was placed crucified on Thursdy then we will have 

Friday Night 

Friday day 

saturday night 

saturday day 

Sunday morning Jesus was not in the tomb it was empty when the ladies came at the rising of the sun 

Therefore we only have  2 nights and  days 

Take care 

Look again, friend...

Friday night

Friday

Saturday night

Saturday

Sunday Night

Raised on Sunday (on the third day)

The account on the road to Emmaus doesn't say "It's been three days... " It says "this is the third day."

Wednesday crucifixion just doesn't work unless you say it was Saturday when he met the people on the road to Emmaus (before his tomb was discovered empty on the first day of the week according to three of the Gospels)...

John 11:9

King James Version (KJV)

Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.

Jesus knew how many hours was in a day 

In Genesis  God "divided the light from darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening [darkness] and the morning [light] were the first day. etc 

Therefore there must be  three dark periods called "night," and three light periods called "day"—three days and three nights, and Jesus said they contained twelve hours for each period—a total of 72 hours.

Edited by Izzel

On a Tue

Matthew 26:26-30

King James Version (KJV)

26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.

27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

30 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

On Tuesday evening, after sunset, Jesus and His disciples kept the Passover. Afterward they went to the garden, and Jesus was captured.

Wednesday morning, He was brought before Pilate and sentenced to death. He was crucified at 9 a.m., and Wednesday afternoon at 3 p.m., Jesus died. Joseph begged the body from Pilate very near sunset.

Mark 15:42-43

King James Version (KJV)

42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,

43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.

Therefore Wednesday evening at the setting of the sun , Jesus was buried.

Thursday was a high day, or annual sabbath, the first day of Unleavened Bread .

Friday was the weekly preparation day for the weekly sabbath and the women bought and prepared spices and ointment to properly Jesus was in fact killed on Wednesday, buried near sunset Wednesday evening and remained in the tomb until near sunset Saturday evening  thus the 3 days and 3 nights 

Saturday, they rested on the weekly Sabbath.

Sunday morning, near sunrise, the ladies came to the tomb to find that Jesus was already risen.A n empty tomb was found on all occasions 

Thus we have : Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night total three nights. The days of Thursday, Friday and Saturday total three days. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

He rose on the first day of the week.   What's the problem?

Matthew 28

King James Version (KJV)

28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

What does dawn here mean ?

thanks

Jn 20:1 ALT3 Now on the FIRST DAY BETWEEN THE SABBATHS Mary the Magdalene goes EARLY IN THE MORNING (THERE BEING YET DARKNESS) to the tomb and she sees the stone having been taken away from the tomb.

Lk 24:1 Now on the FIRST DAY BETWEEN THE SABBATHS , AT EARLY DAWN they came to the tomb.

Mk 16:1 -2 AND THE SABBATH HAVING PAST, Mary the Magdalene and Mary the mother of James and Salome bought spices so that having come they should annoint Him. And VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING ON THE FIRST DAY BETWEEN THE SABBATHS THEY COME TO THE TOMB, THE SUN HAVING RISEN.

Mt 28:1 Now AFTER THE SABBATHS, AT THE DAWNING INTO THE FIRST DAY BETWEEN THE SABBATHS, Mary the Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the grave.

Now what do the words in capital letters mean to you? They seem explicitly clear to me, though some others have tried to construe them to mean something other than is clearly stated.

ALT3 is The Analytical-Literal Translation of the New Testament, Third Edition, and is based on the best Majority Text. The one used by the KJV had not been comepletely translated I understand, and they had to use some Latin texts as well to complete it. Gary Zeola the translator of ALT3 is both native Greek and a student of New Testament Greek. He is also a born again believer who leans on the Holy Spirit to help him in his understanding of the Scriptures as well as his understanding of New Testament Greek. I highly respect this translation as well as Wuest's Expanded Translation which agrees with this understanding of the scriptures in question.

I hope this helps to clear up your apparent confusion.

Blessings,

Willa

"between the Sabbaths" has no textual support

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

It is amazing to me that this debate still rages, and yet no one seems to be addressing the fact that Jesus rose on the third day  (Matt 16:21, 17:23, 20:19, 27:64, mar 9:31, 10:34, Luke 9:22, 13:32, 18:33, 24:7, 24:21, 24:46, john 2:1, Act 10:40, 1 Cor 15:4.) and that furthermore they happened early enough on that day for the news of the empty tomb to have spread across the whole city (Luke 24) and early enough for two people to have been travelling on a seven mile (which they completed before evening - Luke 24:29) to be discussing.

Simply put there is no way that the 'sing of Jonah' can be interpreted as a literal 72 hours and made to fit with the biblical record, it simply doesn't work, no matter way people try to slice up the time, Jesus rose on the third day, which was the first day of the week. Now I don't mean to be rude or insulting, but I wonder how many of the appeals to Greek or to this or that 'reading' in this or that transaltion are based more on people finding resources that seem to support their presuppositions, rather then actual analysis - the search for evidence should not be support an a priori  assumption, but to discover the facts - and the biblical fact is that Jesus rose early on the third day. 

As to what day he died, well you can work it back to Friday, which is the day before the Sabbath, again there is no reading of any biblical texts that demands two concurrent Sabbaths, and no evidence that was the case. We cannot appeal to the calendar either for we do not know what year he died - this I will say though, if the Bible wanted us to know it would tell us more clearly. More important then the exact timing of the resurrection is the fact of the resurrection if fulfillment of scripture - for without it our hope is futile! Here are the facts we need to know, 

1 Corinthians 15:3-7 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. (NKJ)

Thanks all for your thoughts 

Edited by Izzel