GoldenEagle

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

To be honest, I have mused more than once over the that movie theatres (# 5) are still alive and kicking.  Between rentals and now Netflix and the astronomical cost of a ticket and snacks, I would have expected theatres to have gone the way of the old drive In theatres.

There is something about a theatre,though.  It is where most dates take place (not that I would know). Dinner and a movie are two things that I am given to understand remain date-night staples. 

I can imagine that in ten years, the technology landscape will look completely different than it does now.  I remember when electronic typewriters, VHS and cordless telephones were all the rage.

By the way...   Did you know that you can actually date the age of modern movies for the last by 20 years by size and type of the cellphone they show people using?

I remember when we used to use VHS too for our television and VCR (that was when I was a little girl), but we got rid of all of them and replaced them with DVDS and CDs.

We have since then also bought a better TV. Its bigger than our previous TVs, is a flat-screen and it is gray-colored.

My little sister sometimes listens to her radio. That is how I learned about Justin Bieber, lol. He was on it. Singing his song "Baby."

If we didn't have a radio I guess we would never go to concerts (I've seen Jump5!) because we would never know who anyone in the music world is. But we learn by giving our ears.

Both of our boom boxes are in the kitchen. My little sister's boom box is broken but my mom's boom box still works. One is large and gray and the other is small and gray-colored.

Technology may be fascinating, but I guess too much of it can lead you away from exercise....

Edited by Skillet1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

Actors. (Technology will make them obsolete)

CGI is getting so good, and the technology is advancing so fast that in the next 10 years or so we won't have a need for them.

Manned aircraft. Drones will soon fly us. It's already happening in some ways with new commercial aircraft that can land themselves without assistance.

That is true, Fez.   I have heard a number of people in the field of CGI say that all they need is an actor's face and voice and they can fill in the rest.  The actor doesn't actually need to be present at a studio.   I think they still have to work out exactly what kind of salary an actor should be legally entitled to.  Since the are using his/her voice and likeness, they still get paid but since they are not physicall acting, they may not be entitled to as much.

This one CGI techie was saying that they can do away with the need to build sets, hire stunt men or body doubles and they don't need orchestras or human musicians to perform the scores for the movies.  All of that can be digitally reproduced.   That also means they don't need crews to set up equipment, companies to provide things like cameras, they don't need to purchase props of any kind, and they certainly don't need make up or wardrobe consultants.   They don't need to hire caterers to come and provide food for the actors and production crew.

CGI will actually put a lot of people in Hollywood out of work if they go totally digitial in the movie making business.   All of those people that they show in the ending credits of a movie, the part that scrolls down lists of names for like 15 minutes, most if not all of those people will be out looking for jobs in some other field, or delivering pizza or something.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

So in my opinion the market may change but some of these technologys wont die, just change.

This could very well be... Adapting to the new demands...

I still have and or use most of those lol

We still have a crt tv, and a landline, fax and printer. In fact I print off alot of my studies in case I might have to drop being online if or when the economy tanks.

Do you have cell phones too Flame?

I dont see movie theatres going out. I really don't TVs have been around for awhile, but lets face it, your TV isn't as big as a house and chances are you dont have a multi-thousand dollar sound system in your home either. Sure, this stuff isn't "necessary" to watch a movie, but people think it is.

I'd agree with you I don't think movie theaters are going out.

I think 3D HDTV's are okay but just not the same. I think the sound system also is a big factor. Is it necessary? Nope. Fun? Sure.

this is neat to know....i can see landline phones disappearing, (i have both landline and cellphone). The others well, it goes with new techie stuff, always improving, always changing, nothing stays the same anymore. Communication is always a great thing!

May I ask why you have both a landline and a cellphone?

a landline phone to call people (and yet we all have our own cell phones too),

Have you guys consider cancelling the landline phone? How much do you use it?

Typically in some plans from cell phone to cell phone the calls are free.

We haven't had a landline phone in probably 3-4 years. That's about (assuming $50 a month) $1800 (3 yrs) to $2400 (4 yrs) we've saved in the last few years.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

We haven't had a landline phone in probably 3-4 years. That's about (assuming $50 a month) $1800 (3 yrs) to $2400 (4 yrs) we've saved in the last few years.

My older sister told me not to send her texts to her cell phone because she argues they cost her money. If its cheaper to use cell phones then why are they charging her money every time I send her a text?

That is why she always tells me to e-mail her instead. She argues that e-mail is free.

She lives in Alabama, and that is like, on the other side of the USA to me. I live in Washington State, and its cold up here. We live states apart.

Since she lives so far away from us, its not like I can just get up and drive to her house. I would need to fly on a commericial aircraft and travel down south to see her. That may be, hundreds or even thousands of miles.

My little sister used to take the train to go and see her, but that was a few years ago when they used to pay each other's Amtrak travel costs.

Edited by Skillet1

To be honest, I have mused more than once over the that movie theatres (# 5) are still alive and kicking.  Between rentals and now Netflix and the astronomical cost of a ticket and snacks, I would have expected theatres to have gone the way of the old drive In theatres.

There's a theater by our house that has matinee movies for $3. Regular price is $3.25. We find that very reasonable. :thumbsup:

By the way...   Did you know that you can actually date the age of modern movies for the last by 20 years by size and type of the cellphone they show people using?

Yes, cell phones, hair styles, clothes, and car types help me determine the age of modern movies... Lol.

My older sister told me not to send her texts to her cell phone because she argues they cost her money. If its cheaper to use cell phones then why are they charging her money every time I send her a text?

That is why she always tells me to e-mail her instead. She argues that e-mail is free.

There's a difference between cell phone calls and texting... Texting requires a plan or is usually limited (200 or less). Unless of course you haven unlimited texting. Sending emails is free. :thumbsup: