IGNORED

No kids allowed?

What do y'all think of this?

Grant Achatz, chef of Alinea, sparked a debate about the appropriateness of bringing children to upscale restaurants after he tweeted that a couple brought their infant to his Chicago restaurant on Saturday.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/01/14/alinea-chef-considers-baby-ban-after-guests-bring-infant-to-upscale-restaurant/?intcmp=features

$200+ just for a reservation? :blink::huh: I can, and have, eaten pretty darn well for an entire month on that with stuff left over!

Still, upscale trendy place with no refund policy and the sitter cancels at the last minute . . . bad situation all around. Seems some of it could have been avoided by having a refund policy for things like this. Its this chef's restaurant, so if he wants to bad kids its his decision. You wouldn't see me eating at place like that, anyway. I'll be doing the drive-thru thing at Wendy's and eating in the parking lot. Its cheaper, and there's no screaming kids. :)

If that's what this 'upscale' restaurant serves....I'll go to McDonald's!  Looks like bait to me....

Yeah, McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. all look better than that, MG. I can also say that I've seen bait that looked better than that too . . . :whistling:

Some folks are such followers that, if you told them it was trendy, they would eat dirt....worms and all. 

That would be fun to watch. Even more fun (and profitable!) to charge them admission first . . .  :24:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

A picture of a wonderful breakfast delicacy....

max_211001P.jpg

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

One man's delicacy is another man's bait.

Thanks for the input.  We've had instances in our restaurant relating to unruly children in recent months, and I was just wondering....

One man's delicacy is another man's bait.

Thanks for the input.  We've had instances in our restaurant relating to unruly children in recent months, and I was just wondering....

I didn't realize that you owned a restaurant. In the next few years, I hope to buy a campground, and we will likely have a small restaurant on the grounds. That will be pretty much the same situation with the potential for unruly children. A campground is a bit different as their are places where children can be noisy during certain hours, and a campground posts a set of rules. But, it can be an issue.

I looked on the internet for additional articles and found one, link to follow. Apparently, it is a growing issue.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/02/22/kids-in-restaurants/

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Yes, I've read that one.  We have three restaurants, and the concern is in the upscale one, the other two are fastfood so...no problems there.  We've had a couple of incidents in the past year with parents who refused to deal with unruly children.  It's a fine line to tread, because you don't want to offend anybody but when a couple is spending upwards of $200 dollars for a meal, you want them have an enjoyable experience. We've actually written off a meal or two beacuse of bratty behavior. 

Yes, I've read that one.  We have three restaurants, and the concern is in the upscale one, the other two are fastfood so...no problems there.  We've had a couple of incidents in the past year with parents who refused to deal with unruly children.  It's a fine line to tread, because you don't want to offend anybody but when a couple is spending upwards of $200 dollars for a meal, you want them have an enjoyable experience. We've actually written off a meal or two beacuse of bratty behavior. 

It is a huge issue because you really do not want to be in a position to have to write off meals when people bring in bratty children. And at the same time, you don't want to lose customers as repeat business and a good reputation are the life blood in a service industry so the desire is not to upset the parents of the children either. But, my view is based on reading with no real experience. I know I will probably face similar situations.

If it is any help, it looks like I go with the majority. In a fine dining experience, I want great food, great service, and a great atmosphere. When I leave, I want to leave with a smile on my face thinking that I have had a very special meal and been catered to. So, a bratty child causing a disruption is not part of the experience I am looking for.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

It is a huge issue because you really do not want to be in a position to have to write off meals when people bring in bratty children. And at the same time, you don't want to lose customers as repeat business and a good reputation are the life blood in a service industry so the desire is not to upset the parents of the children either. But, my view is based on reading with no real experience. I know I will probably face similar situations.

If it is any help, it looks like I go with the majority. In a fine dining experience, I want great food, great service, and a great atmosphere. When I leave, I want to leave with a smile on my face thinking that I have had a very special meal and been catered to. So, a bratty child causing a disruption is not part of the experience I am looking for.

I would not use the word "bratty child".Kids will be kids.Kids get tired and fussy.A place that charges $200.00 to confirm a reservation and who knows how much a plate of food would cost there,I would not want to even guess,I would say it would be best to leave your children at home.When my kids were little we trained them from the times they were very little how to behave in the nicer restaurants.I would not have taken any of my children to this restaurant.Of course I would not have gone there either.  :mgcheerful:

My husband is good with coming up with ideas for marketing differing things. I told him of this problem.

He suggested that a fine dining restaurant could designate Sunday night as 'family night'. So, parents who would like to bring younger children have a time when it is appropriate. To me this sounds good. Typically a fine dining restaurant does not have a childrens menu, but on that night, as a special family night option, they could offer that. (Consider it an opportunity to offer children something different and special). I see a lot of possibilities for this. Of course, I know some fine dining establishments have some fragile decor which m ight not lend itself to a family night     

I would not use the word "bratty child".Kids will be kids.Kids get tired and fussy.A place that charges $200.00 to confirm a reservation and who knows how much a plate of food would cost there,I would not want to even guess,I would say it would be best to leave your children at home.When my kids were little we trained them from the times they were very little how to behave in the nicer restaurants.I would not have taken any of my children to this restaurant.Of course I would not have gone there either.  :mgcheerful:

A bratty child is a reflection more on the parents. Parents who would let a child freely act up in a fine restaurant, and not take any action to correct their child, is showing a self centered attitude. They don't care about those around them. So, this is the example and training they are giving their children. Sometimes, good children have bratty parents, but it is unusual for bratty children to have parents who are not self centered/bratty.

Yes, sometimes children get frustrated and sometimes throw temper tantrums and that is normal. But in any restaurant, and I am including McDonalds, the children should be taken outside and given a time to regain composure and be told that the behavior is not appropriate. 

It used to be parents trained their children how to behave, and were considerate of others, but that has changed as not all parents are that responsible so they have bratty kids. Hopefully the kids learn and get past their parents errors.