Mars One Mission

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

You may have heard about the non-profit organization based in the Netherlands that is looking for 20 candidates to take a one way trip to Mars for the purpose of colonization. The target date for this mission is in the year 2024 and the current short list contains 1058 applicants.

Our local paper ran an article about a 23 year old male, university student, that has made the list and he sounds..?

Q. Why do you want to spend the rest of  your life on Mars?

A. It's less why I want to and more why is it important at all. Expansion into space is the next great step in human evolution. It's one of the most important things for us as a species to expand our home and satisfy our curiosity.

Q. You're so young and this is a one-way trip to Mars. What would you miss most about Earth?

A. It wouldn't make sense if you didn't miss family and friends. But it's so much more about yourself. It's about something for all of us... Personally, I'd miss the arts - to not be able to see a movie or take a in a poetry slam. These are the most human things we do. You're leaving behind what in essence is humanity: the culture we've built.

Q. Are you skeptical this mission will happen?

A. Skepticism is one of the most important tools we can employ in regards to Mars One. The logistics of this enterprise would require an unprecedented push for new technologies.There are problems that need to be solved - the problems of radiation, muscle atrophy, and the budget questions.

Q. What do your family and friends say about your desire to spend the rest of  your life on Mars?

A. My girlfriend and I have talked about a long-distance relationship (laughs). I'm sure they'll let us make phone calls. My family is very skeptical. They understand that if this is an actual possibility I would not refuse it. I'm sure they're scared. There are 1057 other people (on the list) and 40 people will be chosen for the next short list. It's still just a dream.

Q. What abilities would you bring to Mars One?

A. I'm an analytical person and deep thinker. The kinds of people accepted into the mission are extremely humanistic or extremely technical. You need both to be competent ambassadors of Earth.

Edited by 2404

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,713
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

can we send our government?