• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1964

Hello all,

I am a Sunday School teacher for grades K-5th.  One of the parents approached me Sunday asking if I could mentor his daughter on 'boys', because she's starting to find interest .  She's only 10 (eek), but I figured I could try to come up with some type lesson that was not too in depth but Biblically sound.  I know Rebecca St. James has put out several books, but don't know if they are too mature for what I need.

Has anyone had to teach youth groups or hit on the topic of purity or even abstinence to youth? And if so, do you have curriculum or lesson material / study books/ authors to recommend?  

At this point I don't know if it will be just a one on one study, or if some of the other parents would like their girls to join and do an actual study.  I want to get material together to present to them first.  

I'd appreciate some input.  

God bless,

Donna

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

I think teaching our youth about purity is up to the parents not a Sunday School teacher.Yes,they are getting younger and younger.It is not too rare to see a girl 14 or 15 become pregnant.I am sure it could even happen at an earlier age.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Hello, when I was oh I say about 14 years old. Our youth group leader at church did a study with us. She used the book "Preparing For Adolescence" by Dr. James Dobson. Now this was like in the 80's, so it maybe outdated. But it cover stuff like learning  what is a crush and what is true love. Stuff like that. But anyway, you might want to look it up and see if that is what you are looking for. Good Luck.

Bopeep, agreed the parents should talk to the kids.  This parent did, then approached me, because even though the child will listen to him, it sometimes comes better reinforced by an outside influence.  I know I thought my parents were not smart on that topic when I was a teen.  Didn't realize how smart they really were until I grew up and had my own family. 

LadyKay, thank you for your suggestion!  I'll definitely look that book up.  Dobson is always a great source. 

I appreciate both of your responding. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

Have you looked into "focus on the family"? they usually have lots of info on children upbringing and marriage, etc.

That is a great honor to be ask something like that, they must  really admire  your opinion and morals for them to ask of you to teach their young daughter of 10 yrs old on purity. I know that can lay pressure on you. Bless you for helping. I think the parents need to step up here and yes in a way they are asking for outside help in the church. Maybe they have alot of unsure questions to ask. Maybe they are busy with other things in their life.  I do believe at 9 or 10 yrs old is a critical year for girls. I would start at what kind of personality the young girl has and go from there. And maybe go to a christain book store, we have one here nearby that I go to often, lots of  study workbooks, and other resources, maybe ask them if they recommend any material for reading.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

My parents didn't tell me anything.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

My parents didn't tell me anything.

i was given a book to read on sex, purity and love. I guess parents back then didnt talk about sex. Looking back I felt my mother did a great job on me with it. She took me to church, even thou she didnt have all the answers she didnt really stress on it, she had my siblings to also take care of. We only had her for a very short time in life. And, I will say this I am no cookie cutter, nothing like the rest of the women my age, my morals and beliefs have always stayed part of me, I was never a problem child while growing up, never used drugs or alcohol. Didnt have sex until i was married at the age of 19. The only misconception about Men in general were not healthy ones. Therefore, when the one true guy i married was bringing my doubts and fears about men in general in to focus and causing me not to trust him. 6 months after marriage we were in a argument and he told me he slept with a prositute. So, here i was confused with men. I think some where along the line our fathers needed to be there and teach us about boys, and men, dating, respect. This is something can't really be taught but by actions and seeing how your dad relates to your mother, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/03/1973

I think teaching our youth about purity is up to the parents not a Sunday School teacher.Yes,they are getting younger and younger.It is not too rare to see a girl 14 or 15 become pregnant.I am sure it could even happen at an earlier age.

I agree with this, let the parents teach their children about morality.

• 3 weeks later...

The grandparent's are raising the young girl.  They have talked to her, but she sort of gave them the 'of course you are going to say that, you are my parents' attitude, so they thought reinforcement from me, would help. 

I did get the James Dobson book recommended here by Lady Kay (Desi, he is the Focus on the Family founder) and reviewing it before giving to grandpa to give to the young girl. 

They aren't asking me to have a talk to her about the 'birds and the bees' so much as reinforce what God intended for marriage, and not take dating lightly. 

I wish I would have had someone I respected guide me in this more when I was younger.

Thank you all for your input.  LadyKat thanks for sharing your story. 

God bless.