Guest shiloh357

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

That is an unfair charicature of  our position.   The entire premise that YEC keeps people from accepting Christ is a smokescreen and a false claim.  It doesn't and it never has.  But in the absence of an intelligent argument that is what it put forth to us in order to intimidate us from saying anything about it.

and yet you have had multiple people on this forum tell you that YEC was a hindrance to them and you continue to either ignore them or you are calling them lairs, neither of which is good.  It stands to reason that if there are a dozen people on here who have overcome the stumbling block that is YEC that there are likely many more that have not done so.

I am not calling anyone "liars."   I am simply pointing to the fact that they misidentifying the real cause for people to stumble at the truth of Scripture. 

Oh, so you know better than the person themselves what the issue is.  Figures you would think so.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

I believe the pinnig of the gospels with the technical aspect of creation is used by some as a filter. I have found more than a few Christians that like what they see as the exclusive nature of Christianity and while they would never openly admit it, they work to keep it as exclusive as possible. They don't want those people that don't look like them or think like them or act like them in the fold.

All of that is a pile of garbage having no intellectual or substantive merit, much less a basis in reality.

Oh come now, with a simple look around at churches one can observe this going on each and every week.  Dress this way or your not really welcome.  Don't drink beer, don't listen to music we don't approve of, agree with what we believe....each of these are attempts to keep their faith exclusive to people like themselves.

Nonsense. 

What other explanations is there for such actions by those who claim to follow Jesus?  These are all ways to control who gets to join the club and to drive away those that dont fit your view of what a Christian should look like.  

There may be a few churches like that, but the overwhelming majority of churches are not like that.    It's just that right now, this kind of blanket, broad brush characterizations are currently in vogue, usually coming from people who are really part of a church and use these kind of low-browed characterizations as excuses to justify their lack of participation.

It is way more than a few, but those that are the closest to it cannot normally see what is going on. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Alright I don't mean this. For instance, if you are presenting the gospel to someone who is very liberal minded, and at the outset insisted that they see and label homosexuality as sinful, that could get in the way of the actual gospel message and be an unnecessary roadblock. It seems unnecessary and unwise, surely that could be addressed later. However, that being said, there's no reason to hide it, or not answer truthfully if they ask about it. I just wouldn't see the wisdom in insisting that someone 'get it' before considering the central issues of the gospel message.

I'd say likewise here. Although I am not YEC I certainly understand others being straightforward about their being YEC and sharing why if others inquire or if it comes up naturally in the course of discussing these things. I question the wisdom of at the outset presenting it hand in hand with the central gospel message to unbelievers though.

Yes and that is the common mischaraterization that is being put forth by you and others on here.   I, for my part, am not saying that we need to bring up these kinds of issues in evagelism, as if we are going to present the Gospel and then say, "oh and by the way,"  you have to believe the earth is 6,000 years old."  

That is an unfair charicature of  our position.   The entire premise that YEC keeps people from accepting Christ is a smokescreen and a false claim.  It doesn't and it never has.  But in the absence of an intelligent argument that is what it put forth to us in order to intimidate us from saying anything about it.

The argument that some would make is that Ken Ham in the debate with Bill Nye basically thwarted evangelism because He brought up the Bible and YEC model. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Why do you think I am trying to caricaturize *your* position? I am not at all. Further, where is the evidence that the reason I am bringing up these concerns is for the purpose of silencing the YEC crowd? That is also untrue. As you said, it is easy on this forum, which is devoted to these sorts of topics, to misunderstand the focus of others. While I think that has happened for me understanding what you and others want to do with the YEC debate, I suspect the same thing is now true of your misunderstanding of my assertions.

In sum, my concern was with packaging YEC along with the saving gospel message. As far as I am concerned you alleviated my concern with that.

To Save A Fellow

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Science Now Teaches Us To

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, Luke 4:18

Kick The Bible To The Curb (?)

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63

~

....In sum, my concern was with packaging YEC along with the saving gospel message....

:thumbsup:

The LORD'S

And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath. Luke 6:5

Day

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:8-11

Who Would Of Guessed

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. Genesis 2:1-3

~

Timothy, guard what God has entrusted to you. Avoid godless, foolish discussions with those who oppose you with their so-called knowledge. 1 Timothy 6:20 (NLT)

~

In Sum

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

My concern Is With The Marketing Of Man's Old Earth

But the day of the Lord will come as unexpectedly as a thief. Then the heavens will pass away with a terrible noise, and the very elements themselves will disappear in fire, and the earth and everything on it will be found to deserve judgment. 1 Peter 3:10 (NLT)

Alongside The Saving

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,

and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Romans 10:9

Gospel

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. John 14:1-3

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling,

and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. Jude 1:24-25