IGNORED

How do scientists determine we share 98% of our DNA with Chimps?

jerryR34

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  3

How do they determine it?

You reckon they put up a bullseye with various percents in various places & then throw darts?

It's actually much worse than that....

They only have 1/10000000000 of the Board and the darts are Grapefruits. 

So they just return to the "a priori" adherence to a fairytale train they just got off.... prior to their 13 Century Alchemy tests they perform that they call "science" so as to provide a "Pseudo-Validity Tow the Company Line" smokescreen that they know most assuredly will not be scrutinized by Joe Coffee and Betty Bread-Maker.

Rinse Repeat Rinse Repeat

IMHO:

Ah yes, the Company Line

I owe my soul the the Company Line;

I loaded 16 tons of # 9 monkey,

& the strawboss said, "It's good that your our flunky."

Academic freedom & freedom of speech are lacking, at least before tenure.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

Blessings jerry,

Gee,I am awful sorry about your replies,really I am but that is not how I feel about your question.......I understand your question & yes,LOL-it is a simple one and that is not the "point" I was referring to.........Oh also,in no way did I ever intend to disrespect or offend you (I think you realized that I meant no harm)      I know I am a little off topic & thats why I said"if I may"ask  why you want to "gauge" the knowledge of evolution of these "Worthy "folks?

I suppose I am just being curious (or nosey-lol)as to what you hope to do after you have estimated their knowledge????

Anyway,you certainly don't have to answer my question if you prefer not to (& I will understand)...but I would like to know!

jerry,for me personally,I don't feel threatened ....or shall I say my faith is not threatened by science or from those that believe the theory of evolution...........I never feel it is necessary to bash someones beliefs to validate my own,makes no sense to me............the Greatest part of my Faith in Jesus is His Love for us all & for all of us to love one another,I fail to see how debating Evolution vs.Creation will show you that I love you as Christ does.........But that's just me,God Bless you

With love-in Christ,Kwik

You don't offend me at all, you seem to be a very caring person.  Actually, I never get offended by anyting on the web, even when it is directed at me.  My little question gave me a lot of insight into a few of the folks here.  Science is not about emotion and insult.  If that is how one approaches it, they do not get what science is all about.  Science is a process to observe natural phenomena, not a philosophy or anti-philosophy.  I guess, also, I kind of wanted to confirm the title of this sub-forum..."Faith vs. Science".    

Just a comment from the peanut gallery.....this 'discussion' has turned into the usual schoolyard sniping.  I've yet to read ANY actual evidence from either side....which would be of great interest to me and, I'm sure, many others reading this thread.   Now....back to your regularly scheduled argument.  :biggrin2: 

I agree...I was not asking for evidence of anything, just a simple explanation a measurment of chemical bonding...how could that start an argument?  :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings jerry

Well thank you(Glory to God!) ,you seem to be real nice guy,,,its a pleasure to meet you. You are 100% ,right on the money about what science is (& what it is not).....A million years ago(LOL)I was passionate for the sciences,that was my major & main focal point,it did not & does not contradict or conflict with my Faith......I believe every Word of the Bible & in the 6 day Creation.For some reason many people(I suppose mainly Christians)asume that every scientist believes in the theory of evolution.

So what do you think of the sub -forum & how did your "gauge "turn out so far?(I don't think you have enough people to gauge anything yet-IMO)I am pretty sure a few more people will respond to your OP.  Jerry,it says you are a non-believer.,if you don't mind me asking....what is it that you don't believe in?Sounds funny ,doesn't it?I guess most folks would ask you what you do believe in-LOl

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Jerry,it says you are a non-believer.,if you don't mind me asking....what is it that you don't believe in?

I was assigned "Nonbeliever" by the admins/mods, and have been chastised by them for commenting on it - I think they assign that and "Seeker".  I guess asking hard questions gets one labled, but as I mentioned I don't take the interweb personally.  My question elicited the expected responses, although I was really hoping that someone would answer it clinically.  It is a simple, observable lab experiment, but any association with evolution brings the Faith vs. Science attitude to the fore.  BTW, I do not believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Unicorns, Loch Ness Monster, ghosts, and Sasquatch.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Jerry!

LOL,great answer! I asked for it,didn't I? I do like your sense of humor,and you............perhaps,one day you & I could do one of the Faith vs Science discussions...............".Discussions",I do not do debates as I said previously..........and I do believe you have that same frame of mind,"relax people,relax"-lol

God Bless you & I hope to talk more with you in the future................With love-in Christ,Kwik

On topic,,,,,,Simple question"How Do Scientists Determine that humans share 98% of their DNA with Chimps''

Simple Answer "Through Genomic Studies"   (Sequencing human genomes)

Blessings Jerry!

LOL,great answer! I asked for it,didn't I? I do like your sense of humor,and you............perhaps,one day you & I could do one of the Faith vs Science discussions...............".Discussions",I do not do debates as I said previously..........and I do believe you have that same frame of mind,"relax people,relax"-lol

God Bless you & I hope to talk more with you in the future................With love-in Christ,Kwik

On topic,,,,,,Simple question"How Do Scientists Determine that humans share 98% of their DNA with Chimps''

Thanks for the kind words kwik...I'm glad you saw that as humor (as intended) and not being flippant - I often overestimate my sense-of-humor :)

So, I'm splitting hairs a little here, but the 98% number comes form DNA-DNA Hybridization.  That said, sequencing is becoming the more preferred way of determining the degree of genetic similarity between species.  One of the criticisms of DNA-DNA Hybridization is that it overstates the value the more closely related the species are.  Notice I was able to talk about the science without disparaging either evolution or creationism.  We're losing potential Christians at an unprecedented rate because many are not able to have this discussion without judgement (cough, cough Enoch2021). 

Edited by jerryR34

How do they determine it?

You reckon they put up a bullseye with various percents in various places & then throw darts?

It's actually much worse than that....

They only have 1/10000000000 of the Board and the darts are Grapefruits. 

So they just return to the "a priori" adherence to a fairytale train they just got off.... prior to their 13 Century Alchemy tests they perform that they call "science" so as to provide a "Pseudo-Validity Tow the Company Line" smokescreen that they know most assuredly will not be scrutinized by Joe Coffee and Betty Bread-Maker.

Rinse Repeat Rinse Repeat

IMHO:

Ah yes, the Company Line

I owe my soul the the Company Line;

I loaded 16 tons of # 9 monkey,

& the strawboss said, "It's good that your our flunky."

Academic freedom & freedom of speech are lacking, at least before tenure.

This is such a great post because "flunky' rhymes with "monkey".  Silly scientist should be poets, and then everything would make sense and be so much easier...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

Blessings Jerry!

Thanks for the kind words kwik...I'm glad you saw that as humor (as intended) and not being flippant - I often overestimate my sense-of-humor :)

So, I'm splitting hairs a little here, but the 98% number comes form DNA-DNA Hybridization.  That said, sequencing is becoming the more preferred way of determining the degree of genetic similarity between species.  One of the criticisms of DNA-DNA Hybridization is that it overstates the value the more closely related the species are.  Notice I was able to talk about the science without disparaging either evolution or creationism.  We're losing potential Christians at an unprecedented rate because many are not able to have this discussion without judgement (cough, cough Enoch2021). 

============================================================================================================

DNA-DNA Hybridization

:24:

Never heard of this.  :huh:

See if I'm in the Ballpark.....you probably read some Dick Dawkins book that had this little Insignificant, And Antiquated detail ....(unless you're stuck in the 80's with the Bangles) and then started a Whole Non-Sequitur Topic to somehow reveal an "alleged" Science Acumen??  Sound about right?

Do you think that anyone that read your OP and subsequent posts......DIDN'T KNOW THAT or WASN'T FULLY AWARE OF THIS FACT? :huh:

I'm almost speechless.

We're losing potential Christians at an unprecedented rate because many are not able to have this discussion without judgement (cough, cough Enoch2021).

The Coup De Gras.  A "Cherry on Top" Conjured Baseless Assertion.

Can you give us some numbers.....we want to see "The Unprecedented RATE" and the "Potential" Christians?  Names please?

So now you want to equivocate "Judgement" Jerry.

Let me put it to you again, this way.....

If anyone comes out here with some HALF-BAKED NONSENSE attempting to UNDERMINE THE PLAIN WORD OF GOD you will get stopped in your TRACKS, MOST ASSUREDLY!!!!

Are you hearing me Jerry?? 

You can call it anything you like.

Thanks

Blessings Jerry!

============================================================================================================

DNA-DNA Hybridization

:24:

Never heard of this.  :huh:

See if I'm in the Ballpark.....you probably read some Dick Dawkins book that had this little Insignificant, And Antiquated detail ....(unless you're stuck in the 80's with the Bangles) and then started a Whole Non-Sequitur Topic to somehow reveal an "alleged" Science Acumen??  Sound about right?

Do you think that anyone that read your OP and subsequent posts......DIDN'T KNOW THAT or WASN'T FULLY AWARE OF THIS FACT? :huh:

I'm almost speechless.

We're losing potential Christians at an unprecedented rate because many are not able to have this discussion without judgement (cough, cough Enoch2021).

The Coup De Gras.  A "Cherry on Top" Conjured Baseless Assertion.

Can you give us some numbers.....we want to see "The Unprecedented RATE" and the "Potential" Christians?  Names please?

So now you want to equivocate "Judgement" Jerry.

Let me put it to you again, this way.....

If anyone comes out here with some HALF-BAKED NONSENSE attempting to UNDERMINE THE PLAIN WORD OF GOD you will get stopped in your TRACKS, MOST ASSUREDLY!!!!

Are you hearing me Jerry?? 

You can call it anything you like.

Thanks

you answered my queries better than you could ever know.  thanks.  :)