IGNORED

tsunami’s toll tops 52,000

soulwinner

Guest shiloh357
But there is such a thing as cold-blooded murder.
I did not say there wasn't.

It is not called manslaughter.
It is called manslaughter if someone dies at your hands unintentionally.

Assassins murder without hate.

Not so. This is especially true is the person being assassinated is someone such as terrorist mastermind. When such a person is being knocked off, it is not out of moral indifference.

Furthermore one can point to assassinations and show they were motivated by hate. For example the assassination of Martin Luther King, or Abraham Lincoln, or John and Bobby Kennedy.

Dictators murder without hate.

Not so. It is the fact that they rule by fear and will murder without question, anyone who does not comply to rule, that makes them dictators in the first place. When Sadaam Hussein tortured people to death for daring to dissent from his views, when Yassir Arafat had people shot in the street for refusing to support his terrorism 100% that qualifies as murder.

I would also suggest you study to the life of dictator Idi Amin of Uganda.

Proponents of Dr. Kevorkian kill without hate.

Doesn't apply since Dr. Kevorkian allowed people to kill themselves. Suicide is not the same as murder.

Murder is the wanton act of taking an innocent human life in cold blood. There is no instance when it is done out of love or moral indifference. Even if someone hires a hit man who one could say is morally indifferent to the act of killing, the person doing the hiring is usually the one motivated by hate, and therefore hate still applies. The person doing the hiring is just as guilty of murder as the hitman who pulls the trigger.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1

Dear shiloh357,

This is just my opinion. You don't have to accept it if you dislike it. DISCLAIMER: I am not a christian.

I think we disagree on semantics. I hold that there are some muderers who kill without hate. You choose to give hate a broad definition to include political difference, power consolidation, and terror.

In any case, it is not a subject worth arguing about.

Regards,

UndecidedFrog

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

UF,

But generally, most humans agree that murder (however they may define that differently) is wrong. This is because they do not wish to be murdered. By agreeing to prohibit this behaviour, they are trying to assure their survival.

I would then ask you to search your own heart. Ask yourself if Murder is wrong due to self preservation? Look deep into your heart?

You do know for some reason beyond self preservation that murder is wrong. :)

Why then do you know this?

How about stealing? Is that wrong? What then is the motive for not stealing? Is it a basic instinct like self preservation?

You do agree though that all men have a basic set of moral codes? Be they atheist or Christian?

I think it is the duty of all humans to live life to the fullest, trying to extract as much happiness as possible without harming others,

How will you ever know if you have not harmed others? What possible benefit could there be to this lifestyle? Seeing as in that worldview there is no God?

Could it be that you are trying to add value to human life?

and to share that happiness with others.

Does this add value? Does happiness have purpose? :clap:

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1

Dear Dr, Luke,

This is just my opinion. You don't have to accept it if you dislike it. DISCLAIMER: I am not a christian.

Thanks for your response. You have asked me several questions, which I shall now try to answer:

I would then ask you to search your own heart. Ask yourself if Murder is wrong due to self preservation? Look deep into your heart?

I do not want others to muder me or my family or friends. My heart doesn't speak much. I respect life as I want others to respect the lives of me and my family and friends.

You do know for some reason beyond self preservation that murder is wrong. 

Why then do you know this?

Hmmm. Why do you think I know this? Why do you think you know me?

You do agree though that all men have a basic set of moral codes? Be they atheist or Christian?

Yes, but the sets of morals may not be the same, even among similar belief/disbelief peoples. I think Scott Peterson was a christian, yet he has been convicted of murder. Go figure.

How will you ever know if you have not harmed others? What possible benefit could there be to this lifestyle? Seeing as in that worldview there is no God?

You can always ask them if you have harmed them. Of course, they may lie to you in return, so you would not know. Contrary to your implicit assumption, many people live a happy lifestyle without having any beliefs in any god. They call them happy atheists. :)

Could it be that you are trying to add value to human life?

I do not understand you when you make this statement. One makes of ones life as much as one wants. Whose value and whose life are you talking about?

Does this add value? Does happiness have purpose?

It depends on one's purpose. There are some who value happiness in their lives. So adding happiness would add value to them. Of course, you understand that I think that we all can instill purpose to our lives as we choose. You purpose your life for your god. I purpose my life for my family's happiness.

Regards,

UndecidedFrog