IGNORED

PASTOR BURNOUT

Guest PREACHER2

Guest PREACHER2

I HAVE BEEN AT MY CHURCH FOR ALMOST THREE YEARS I FEEL TRIED ALL THE TIME & LIKE I AM NOT REACHING THE CHURCH ANY LONGER DEPRESSION IS RALLY BAD IS THERE ANY PASTORS WHO CAN HELP

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/27/1959

Preacher I am not a Pastor or minister or anything like that but from what you say I understand you are depressed. Is there any way you can go on retreat for renewal of your spirit and mind? I believe that if you do and while you are there you have a serious talk with God and He will show you what His will is. Maybe its time to move on to annother church or maybe its something else. Meanwhile I will keep you in prayer.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  174
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/08/1967

Well, being that I help lead Worship every week I have a special empathy for Pastors.

Move the burden of feeling like you need to reach people from your shoulders and lay it at the foot of the cross.

If you are looking for some encouragement, ask God to send you a sign of something along those lines. Maybe someone from your flock will do something for you this week as an acknowledgement that God is listening.

Your work is not in vein however. God honors the faithful, especially when they feel like they are going through rough times. It's easy to praise God when you feel as if all is well. Try praising Him now, when the chips are down.

Praying for an encouraging word for you this week from God. :emot-pray:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

PREACHER2,

I'm not a pastor either, but I am familiar with burnout. Actually, my pastor spoke on this last Sunday and I have the service on CD. I wish I could send it to you. It would really help. If you send me your address in a personal message, I would be happy to mail it to you. If you don't want to do that, I completely understand!

I will listen to the CD again and take some notes to post here for you otherwise, if you'd like. ???

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Praying for you, Bro. Burnout is easy to 'catch' in the Pastoral Ministry.....

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

A man was sleeping at night in his cabin when suddenly his room filled with light, and the Lord appeared. The Lord told the man he had work for him to do, and showed him a large rock in front of his cabin. The Lord explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his might. This the man did, day after day.

For many years he toiled from sun up to sun down, his shoulders set squarely against the cold, massive surface of the unmoving rock, pushing with all his might. Each night the man returned to his cabin sore, and worn out, feeling that his whole day had been spent in vain.

Discouragement ( the devil ) decided to enter the picture by placing thoughts into the man's weary mind: "You have been pushing against that rock for a long time, and it hasn't budged. Why kill yourself over this? You are never going to move it." Thus, the man gained the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a failure.

These thoughts discouraged and disheartened the man. "Why kill myself over this?" he thought. "I'll just put in my time, giving just the minimum effort; and that will be good enough." And that is what he planned to do, until he decided to make it a matter of prayer and take his troubled thoughts to the Lord.

"Lord," he said, "I have labored long and hard in your service, putting all my strength to do that which you have asked. Yet, after all this time, I have not even budged that rock by half a millimeter. " What is wrong? Why am I failing?"

The Lord responded compassionately . "My friend, when I asked you to serve me and you accepted, I told you that your task was to push against the rock with all your strength, which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected you to move it. Your task was to push. And now you come to me with your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. But is that really so?

" Look at yourself. Your arms are strong and muscled, your back is sinewy and brown, your hands are callused from constant pressure, and your legs have become massive and hard. Through opposition you have grown much, and your abilities now surpass that which you used to have. Yet you haven't moved the rock. But your calling was to be obedient and to push and to exercise your faith and trust in My wisdom. This you have done. I, my friend, will now move the rock."

We were never called to move the rock. We are only called to be faithful and keep pushing.

Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. 10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Thank you, Island Rose. Parables are still a fantastic way to teach. I appreciate you taking the time to post this.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  79
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Although I am not a pastor, I think I am just as able (if not more) to answer. I was the daughter of a minister. And since they often ignore stress until is GETS to the point where they can't take it, we closest to them notice it first. My dad often experienced burn-out. And it was often for different reasons.

Once, he realized that he had been Giving, Giving, Giving and had not taken the time for himself to receive blessing from God--He finds it very hard to help if we are so determined as ministers to help others that we forget we need help too.

Another time, he realized that he was only ONE man--he had been trying to do everything himself. Not only will this wear you out, I believe it is the sin of vanity--who says that others couldn't certain things as well as you? Delegate, delegate, delegate! And if no one wants to help, let THEM deal with a burnt-out preacher who CAN'T help anymore!

Take time off every year--go away from your flock--and BE with God. Just the two of you. No work. Inform the church that you need this---they often think that pastors just write sermons and sit in their office. How little do they know!

Find those people who realize you work hard and be with them. Find an encourager (Barnabas) and let them affirm your efforts--it can make such a difference. Everyone used to tell me and my mom how great the sermon was, how much they appreciated my dad, etc. When we realized that he was becoming discouraged, we found out that NONE of them had told HIM!!! So, we started re-directing them to him. Literally told them "go tell him". Find someone (wife, friend, etc) who can do this for you!!

I hope that your flock realized how hard it is to be constantly at the disposal of many people and begin to encourage your work! I will pray that this happens!!!

You are doing an amazing work--God will bless you and yours!!!

In Christian love,

KrosChild