• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

In Colossians 2 we read :

6 Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, 7 rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. 
 8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits  of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, 10 and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. 

Does this mean that God disapproves of  any kind of philosophical talk or debate?

Do Christian put their faith  in jeopardy if they engage in philosophical arguments or discussions?

Are these verses referring to the Greek philosophy ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Philosophy is all about thinking and we're allowed to think. Colossians 2 is more of a warning than a commandment. It is telling us not to be deceived by false doctrines. There's nothing wrong with discussing philosophy, especially if you can discredit the falsehoods of some philosophies with the truth of Christ.

Yes, it probably does refer to Greek philosophy in particular, but it can apply to any philosophy.

Guest shiloh357

Paul isn't speaking against philosophy in and of itself.  Paul is speak to vain philosophy and empty deceit.  Philosophy deals with the issues of meaning of our lives, the existence of God,  humanity, etc.  These are all issues that Bible deals with directly.  

Do Christian put their faith  in jeopardy if they engage in philosophical arguments or discussions?

Christians can't do anthing to put their faith (if you mean salvation) in jeopardy. We belong to GOD -through Christ- and no one (not even ourselves) can take us out of His hand. So the simple answer is "No".

Paul isn't speaking against philosophy in and of itself.  Paul is speak to vain philosophy and empty deceit.  Philosophy deals with the issues of meaning of our lives, the existence of God,  humanity, etc.  These are all issues that Bible deals with directly.  

All of the following verses emphasize the importance of faith,and they all seem to degrade philosophical reasoning that happens in a secular setting:

1 Corinthians 1 :

For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written,
 “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.” 
 20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach 2  to save those who believe. 22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 

Proverbs 1:7:

"  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge."

It seems to me that generally speaking,Bible seems to have a slightly negative attitude towards philosophical debates and discussions that take place in secular settings.

Do you agree with me?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

All of the following verses emphasize the importance of faith,and they all seem to degrade philosophical reasoning that happens in a secular setting:

1 Corinthians 1 :

For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written,
 “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.” 
 20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach 2  to save those who believe. 22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 

Proverbs 1:7:

"  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge."

It seems to me that generally speaking,Bible seems to have a slightly negative attitude towards philosophical debates and discussions that take place in secular settings.

Do you agree with me?

Kind of. How strong is your faith? Are philosophical debates likely to cause you to lose your faith? I haven't met one philosophical argument that can refute the word of God, so it doesn't bother me.

Guest Teditis

I always saw philosophy as simply the study of knowledge, reality and existence...

since all things are discussed in the Bible, I couldn't see why God would disapprove

of philosophy at it's fundamental level.

I think "spiritual experiences" transcend logic and reason,and cannot be understood through philosophical studies or arguments.

So those who try to reach "Faith" through secular philosophy are probably doing something futile.

I don't have a problem with my faith.

I know for sure that I am a Christian.

Guest Teditis

I think "spiritual experiences" transcend logic and reason,and cannot be understood through philosophical studies or arguments.

So those who try to reach "Faith" through secular philosophy are probably doing something futile.

I don't have a problem with my faith.

I know for sure that I am a Christian.

Not meaning to be contrary... but all of those are philosophical statements.

I always saw philosophy as simply the study of knowledge, reality and existence...

since all things are discussed in the Bible, I couldn't see why God would disapprove

of philosophy at it's fundamental level.

Do you know of any part of the Bible where philosophical reasoning (independent of christian faith) is encouraged?