tatortot

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

please don't laugh but I am nearly 58 and ever since my 20's I have wanted to become a nun.

I started out in the catholic faith and wanted to become a nun and now I don't follow the doctrine anymore.  I consider myself nondenominational because I practice my relationship with God more than religion itself.   I feel so very close with him and want to honor and follow him more than anything.

So, has anyone known or know of an order that I can check into of women of faith.  It is so easy to get swayed and busy and I just want the fulfillment of God in a place with others that also feel this way.

Guest Teditis

please don't laugh but I am nearly 58 and ever since my 20's I have wanted to become a nun.

I started out in the catholic faith and wanted to become a nun and now I don't follow the doctrine anymore.  I consider myself nondenominational because I practice my relationship with God more than religion itself.   I feel so very close with him and want to honor and follow him more than anything.

So, has anyone known or know of an order that I can check into of women of faith.  It is so easy to get swayed and busy and I just want the fulfillment of God in a place with others that also feel this way.

There are many... different denominations too... I just wish they I could remember a few.

I commend spirit...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

That is between you and God, if you want to sequester yourself to a convent of one, God will honor that

If you want to belong to a convent with other nuns you will have to ascribe to their doctrine

Look into the Orthodox churches

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

There is a place, let me find a link, it is protestant nuns.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

This is the link to the one near me but from what I understand they have some of these worldwide.

http://canaaninthedesert.com/

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I'm not laughing.  When I was a little boy (I'm nearly 49), I wanted to be a nun, too!  Then, when I understood that nuns were women, I wanted to be a monk.  The idea of living a sequestered life appeals to me.  It still does today.  If I had my way, I'd be living in the mountains of Wyoming or Montana, in a little log cabin, near a stream with a garden, a horse and a dog, making a living off the internet.  I'm not kidding.  But, I know that's not God's plan for me.  And that's what matters, not what I want or what I feel.

So, in that spirit of love and obedience, I wanted to say a few things, including some caution.  Is this what God wants you to do?  Have you sought His will on this or is it something you want to do?  And why do you want to do it.  (Rhetorical questions for you to answer for yourself, not here on the forum.)  Our motives matter.  A lot.

I ask these things because what you're wanting to do is called "monasticism."  It's grown in popularity recently, being called "New Monasticism" and aimed at evangelicals and protestants.  In this, people are withdrawing from a society to live a poorer, more simple, communal lifestyle, and working with the poor and the hurting.  I know all about this because I live an incredibly simple lifestyle and people often ask if I'm Amish, or if I'm trying to be a monk.  (I'm not.  And I don't live that simply.  It's just that, according to this world's ways, my life has the appearance of being that drastic.)

These new monastic folks claim the desire to live out the gospel more literally and sharing the love of Jesus with people.  They want to BE the church, not just go to, or be members, OF a church.  These communities, no matter how they group themselves (co-ed, all male, or all female) end up living to a set of man-made rules that are set by the elders, or leaders, of the group.  This is where people need to be very careful because this often leads to a legalistic system based on works and rule keeping views of salvation. 

The Great Commission commands us to go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to obey all that Jesus commanded.  Communities, like the Amish, as well as cults, and some monastic groups, end up staying to themselves, completely separating themselves from society altogether.  Following God's rules always trumps following anyone's rules... even those of a monastic society.  Biblical doctrine should never be ignored or come second place to that of a society or group.  That's how sects, cults and religions like Mormonism come into being.  Doctrines of men are created and followed while the Word of God comes second at best. 

I love living simply and being set apart from this world.  I'm constantly examining my life in this way.  The closer I become to Jesus, the less attractive everything to do with this world is to me.  So much so that my flesh wants to hide away and just abide in Jesus.  But, I know that's not the biblical example set forth, so I could read this thread without cautioning you to pray for God's will for you in this, and examine your motives for why you want to do this.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

you can be a woman of God anywhere on this planet, is it the dress code of a nun you wan,t so people can reconize you are a woman of faith, or is it the being part of a group of woman who work for God that has drawn you to want to be a nun

I would suggest getting involved with women who don't need to wear special clothes to identify who their Lord is.

God bless the nun's of the world but the history of what nun's were subjected to should cause anyone to re-evaluate such a choice