• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I recently made the acquaintance of a pleasant gentlemen at my church and we got together for dinner.  He revealed to me a new concept:  that of spirit, mind, and body.  I had always thought in terms of mind, body, spirit, but this is something different.  The spirit, he explained, is our nature, our being that is alive in Christ.  Our soul is our mind and emotions.  Our body is our body and is carnal.  He went on to explain that part of the problem Christians experience with ongoing sin is not from our old nature, which is dead, but our misunderstanding of our inward spirit.

This sounds very radical to me, almost unorthodox.  The church is rather fundamentalist and Bible believing, but I have never encountered this before.  I am willing to be open minded about it, but my question is is this established truth, or is it a new set of ideas?  Perhaps it is a way to deal with the many struggles I've had in faith over the years.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

We know the spirit is born again and born of God, holy and new (2 Cor 5:17)

We know the flesh is corrupt and it always will be until we breath our last breath

and then there is the battle ground

The soul  AKA Mind will and emotions

Romans 12  tells us we have to RENEW our minds.....and if that is something WE have to renew it can't be something GOD made new (the spirit as in 2nd Cor 5: 17)  and it is not something that will always be corrupt (the body)

So that means it is a third part  of us, and imagine that we are three in one....made in the image of God

so to repeat

1. The Spirit is Made New By God (2nd Cor 5:17)

2. The Body is corrupt and will be until resurrection (Revelation 21)

3. The Mind (the soul) is something WE have to renew.  (Romans 12:2)

Edited by Riverwalker

How do renew our minds?

How do renew our minds?

By reading the word, filling it with good and godly things

Christian Music instead of Black Sabbath

A Good Football Game instead Committing Adultery with the Stars

as Philippians 4 Says

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

I will do just that  thank you

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

Here's something I wrote a few days ago...

The battle of the flesh and spirit...

The "flesh" is the carnal being vulnerable to material thoughts and actions of this world such as self-desire, envy, hatred, lust, drunkenness, lies, power, pride, greed, adultery, anger, crime, judging, revenge, swearing and more...

The "spirit" is the invisible being within that controls our mind via a higher being.

The mind is what controls our actions in life, and what controls the mind is what the mind has been nurtured from the spirit.

We are transformed into what the spirit is fed, in which processes thoughts into our mind, thus, turning us into what “we allowed” ourselves to be…

The flesh and spirit are always at war against one another, because we live in a fallen world constantly at war with the will of God, a constant celestial and spiritual battle fighting for the fate of mankind...

To change ones worldly thought patterns, the spirit must be changed, and to change the original state of the fallen worldly spirit, it must be cleansed through a higher being called God/Jesus by asking Him to make Himself known into our lives and hearts.

To live by what the world has to offer makes us prisoners of our own flesh and mind, but to live by the Spirit of God makes our flesh, mind and spirit gradually become free from the world, and therefore our spirits become transformed through His Holy Spirit.

There are many different paths to change ones spirit, but only one path leads to eternal life. For wide is the gate that leads to destruction, and narrow is the gate that leads to the kingdom of God in which only few find and decide to follow...

And a couple of days later I was given this:

Romans 8

Life through the Spirit:

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the *Spirit (of God)*.

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the *Spirit have their minds set on what the* Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the *Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the *Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the *Spirit gives life because of righteousness. And if the *Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his *Spirit who lives in you.

Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the *Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The *Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the *Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

How do renew our minds?

By reading the word, filling it with good and godly things

Christian Music instead of Black Sabbath

A Good Football Game instead Committing Adultery with the Stars

as Philippians 4 Says

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

Amen...

Good stuff, thanks

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I was definitely one who had to change the mind. For me, I was lucky enough to find a fantastic pastor and a great church. This pastor... he could just lay spritual wisdom out so that it is so easy to understand. Actually... I am not sure if you are a big sermons guy. I will leave a link at the bottom where you can listen to them if you are interested. His name is Danny Box. There are a couple others who fill in, but I do not relate to them as well. Anyway, for me there had to be a mentality change. I hated my job. The Bible teaches us though to remember that while we work, to remember that our purpose has changed. We live for him now, and that includes when working, so work at your job, as though your boss was not there, and at the end of your work day you had to answer to your Lord. When my mentality shifted from, "I hate my job, I hate this company." to "I work here because the Lord has placed me here, and it is him I serve." I found that not just my feelings on the job changed, but how I treated people at work changed as well.

A second step I had to take, and this one took a lot longer, and was actually the most important, and the most difficult. The simple command to love each other. Now... seeing all the evil in the world, I was not a huge fan of humanity. Adjusting my mind set to hate sin, and not the people commiting the horrible sinful acts you see today in the news, that was tough. To forgive, and love my enemies, to love people. I did not think that was possible for me. It happened though.

The third change, and these are just the three that come to mind. There are many others I am too tired to recall right now, was to become a servant. I changed my mind, and with my new found love for people, and like our Lord as he walked upon the world chose to live my one life serving others. I don't mean I became a nurse or anything like that. I am saying that my life changed from "How can I get ahead today?" to "How can I elevate my brothers and sisters today in a Christ like manner?" It became about emulation of Christ, and taking no actions that are not taken out of love. I am not perfect at it mind you, but it is something that is always on my mind.

The link if you are interested in hearing the simple wisdom of Pastor Danny Box

http://www.hcbcpf.com/sermons

A second step I had to take, and this one took a lot longer, and was actually the most important, and the most difficult. The simple command to love each other. Now... seeing all the evil in the world, I was not a huge fan of humanity. Adjusting my mind set to hate sin, and not the people commiting the horrible sinful acts you see today in the news, that was tough. To forgive, and love my enemies, to love people. I did not think that was possible for me. It happened though.

Oh how can such a simple step be so hard?  Good on ya bro