standing_alone

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have thought about a thread with great stories towards faith, so here it is. Please contribute, so that our faith can only grow. Also let’s please disregard the denominations, and instead find the common ground.

It is said that St. Basil the Great was taken into a tour of a great Egyptian bazaar (with all the little and many times shining things in the world, which reminds me of Saga’s song Pitchman). His companion, lower in grade in Church hierarchy, surprised, had noted an increasing joy on Basil’s face (and probably said to himself: “Got you, master”). Eventually, the companion asked St. Basil: “Why the joy?” St. Basil replied even more joyful than before: “How else, when I find that there are so many things in the world that I don’t need…”

No comment, really? For me, that's deep.

And please contribute.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I often mention Fenelon, archbishop to the court of Louis the 14th. A small devotional book, Let Go, contains a series of His letters to true believers in the court who were trying to live the life in worldly circumstances. He promotes the crucified life and dying to self with such titles as "Our Knowledge is the Greatest Hinderance to our Becoming Wise", and "Only Imperfection is Intollarent of Imperfection", and "Sensitivity to Reproof is the Surest Sign that We Need It". The book never fails to make me wince since the sword tip used by the Holy Spirit really pricks at the fleshly or carnal life..

He was the cousin and close friend of Madame Guyon, who inspired many reformers as well as Watchman Nee.

Thanks, Willa. But please submit an idea, or a short story.

Here’s another one.

I think it was Juniperus who, awaited by a large assembly, instead stopped short of the city and started swinging and playing like a child. To everyone's disappointment, of course, since they were expecting complicated theological lessons.

So:

1. we don't need really anything in this world (while that may seem radical to many, it's actually Biblical)

2. we must be as children, to enter His kingdom

And a renewed call to everybody to contribute.

But please submit an idea, or a short story.

Here’s another one.

I think it was Juniperus who, awaited by a large assembly, instead stopped short of the city and started swinging and playing like a child. To everyone's disappointment, of course, since they were expecting complicated theological lessons.

So:

1. we don't need really anything in this world (while that may seem radical to many, it's actually Biblical)

2. we must be as children, to enter His kingdom

And a renewed call to everybody to contribute.

~

gods

"Pay close attention to all my instructions. 

You must not call on the name of any other gods.

Do not even speak their names. Exodus 23:13 (New Living Translation)

And Faith In The Living GOD

But that does not mean we want to dominate you by telling you how to put your faith into practice.

We want to work together with you so you will be full of joy,

for it is by your own faith that you stand firm. 2 Corinthians 1:24 (New Living Translation)

It's The Stuff Of

By faith the people crossed the Red Sea as on dry land, but the Egyptians, when they attempted to do the same, were drowned.

By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they had been encircled for seven days.

By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies. Hebrews 11:29-31 (English Standard Version)

Legends 

And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets—

who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness,

became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.

Women received back their dead by resurrection.

Some were tortured, refusing to accept release,

so that they might rise again to a better life.

Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment.

They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were killed with the sword.

They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated—

of whom the world was not worthy—

wandering about in deserts and mountains,

and in dens and caves of the earth. Hebrews 11:32-38 (English Standard Version)

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

revive...“towards faith“:       I found the following book to be special, with deep „indwelling life of christ. W Ian Thomas “ – 50 devotionals of tourchbearers.

Melony